yconic - McGill early admission? URGENT!!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McGill early admission? URGENT!!

A photo of youstoppedmakingsense youstoppedmakingsense
To those who've self-reported their grades online, which mark did you guys put in for your grade 12 courses?
I'm so confused. We've always had three terms in our school, but I've also been told by a friend our school is also a semester school for some reason. I don't know if we have a combined system or what, but we also have mid-term exams (only for science courses though) so I'm confused as to what counts for my 'interim mark'. I only have my term 1 marks so far, and I don't even know what % I'm getting in most of my classes this term. I sort-of want to send in my grades, so can I just report my grade 11 marks + choose 'grades not available' for grade 12 courses? I got like a 96% last year BTW.

Besides, the site doesn't say anything about sending in transcripts, just something along the lines of 'your self-report grades will be verified against official grades from school'. Then how could they get our official grades from our schools if we don't send in transcripts?

thank you very much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of prmly prmly

@youstoppedmakingsense wrote
To those who've self-reported their grades online, which mark did you guys put in for your grade 12 courses?
I'm so confused. We've always had three terms in our school, but I've also been told by a friend our school is also a semester school for some reason. I don't know if we have a combined system or what, but we also have mid-term exams (only for science courses though) so I'm confused as to what counts for my 'interim mark'. I only have my term 1 marks so far, and I don't even know what % I'm getting in most of my classes this term. I sort-of want to send in my grades, so can I just report my grade 11 marks + choose 'grades not available' for grade 12 courses? I got like a 96% last year BTW.

Besides, the site doesn't say anything about sending in transcripts, just something along the lines of 'your self-report grades will be verified against official grades from school'. Then how could they get our official grades from our schools if we don't send in transcripts?

thank you very much.

My school has two semesters and that equals four terms. I simply used my term one marks from my first report card as I haven't received my second term report card yet.

If you're from BC or Ontario, you had to put in either your OUAC or your PEN on the application. They can now check your transcripts, I believe. If you're not from BC or Ontario, I really have no idea and you should contact them.

You better be Jesus Christ on a moped and zap those self-reported grades in soon because the deadline is like tomorrow or something.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks for your reply! I'm from BC btw.I know I'm so late. I might not submit my grades in if I can't make an appointment with my counselor on Monday, then I'll just wait for the regular admission.
But how do your term 1 grades count as your 'interim grades'? I believe it says quite clearly on their site that if there're four terms per school year the first two terms count as the 'interim'. I really can't make up my mind whether I should submit my term 1 grades....Arghhhhhhhh

P.S. Just curious here, are those Scandinavian programs you've applied in English or in Swedish/Danish? I was looking up the program database sometime ago, but I don't remember seeing many programs that are available in English.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly

Thanks for your reply! I'm from BC btw.I know I'm so late. I might not submit my grades in if I can't make an appointment with my counselor on Monday, then I'll just wait for the regular admission.
But how do your term 1 grades count as your 'interim grades'? I believe it says quite clearly on their site that if there're four terms per school year the first two terms count as the 'interim'. I really can't make up my mind whether I should submit my term 1 grades....Arghhhhhhhh

P.S. Just curious here, are those Scandinavian programs you've applied in English or in Swedish/Danish? I was looking up the program database sometime ago, but I don't remember seeing many programs that are available in English.

Our final report cards for this semester come up February 8ish, I believe, and that is about a week too late to self-report. McGill receives around 2,500 applicants from BC every year so they know our semestered systems and I think they would be fine with our first report card marks. I don't think there will be a problem.

Just submit your term 1 grades. Even if there is a problem, they'll simply defer you to regular admission. If there isn't, you may just be accepted early admission. We have nothing to lose, really.

The schools I looked at have international business programs (for a Bachelor's Degree in International Business or something of the sort) taught solely in English - no Swedish required. I made sure of it. Scandinavia is probably the most English-friendly region of the entire EU. It's harder to find such programs in France or Italy, as many of their English-only degree programs are for Master's degrees.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@prmly wrote

Our final report cards for this semester come up February 8ish, I believe, and that is about a week too late to self-report. McGill receives around 2,500 applicants from BC every year so they know our semestered systems and I think they would be fine with our first report card marks. I don't think there will be a problem.

Just submit your term 1 grades. Even if there is a problem, they'll simply defer you to regular admission. If there isn't, you may just be accepted early admission. We have nothing to lose, really.

The schools I looked at have international business programs (for a Bachelor's Degree in International Business or something of the sort) taught solely in English - no Swedish required. I made sure of it. Scandinavia is probably the most English-friendly region of the entire EU. It's harder to find such programs in France or Italy, as many of their English-only degree programs are for Master's degrees.

But what if I'm not satisfied with my term 1 marks? Will I have a chance to update my grades when I get my term 2 report card? BTW I will get my term 2 report card around April 1st and the deadline for regular admission is like April 10th. I'm not sure if I'd want to wait until then to report my grades. Our school doesn't give out report cards for the end of the semester; it feels like the semester system (which no one ever cares about) is just 'there', whereas our term report cards are all that matters.

I'd love to study in Sweden or Denmark, but I can't find a program in English that I want to apply to. Maybe I should have digged deeper and done some more research. But I believe the deadline has already passed?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly

@prmly wrote

But what if I'm not satisfied with my term 1 marks? Will I have a chance to update my grades when I get my term 2 report card? BTW I will get my term 2 report card around April 1st and the deadline for regular admission is like April 10th. I'm not sure if I'd want to wait until then to report my grades. Our school doesn't give out report cards for the end of the semester; it feels like the semester system (which no one ever cares about) is just 'there', whereas our term report cards are all that matters.

I'd love to study in Sweden or Denmark, but I can't find a program in English that I want to apply to. Maybe I should have digged deeper and done some more research. But I believe the deadline has already passed?

If you're not satisfied with your term 1 marks then don't apply early admission. They take in account your grade 11 marks and your first quarter of grade 12. Your school is f*cking weird. Usually for first semester, you get your first report card in November and your second in February, but I guess this only works for schools who have two equal semesters with four terms.

I had to apply with my term 1 marks because I simply had nothing else. I haven't gotten my second report card yet. It may be different for you?

Yeah, the deadlines for the universities I applied to were earlier this month. If you're not an EU citizen, you have to pay for the application fee and pay tuition fees. I'm a citizen of the European Union so I don't really have much to lose if I go there for schooling. I'm still leaning towards McGill though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
I submitted my final semester one marks because I didn't write any provincials. Even though I won't get my report card for couple weeks, I already know them. But I'm from BC and we never had to submit our PEN. My impression was that we send in our official transcripts from our school and they check it against our self-reported grades. I plan on doing so tomorrow.
Was this helpful? Yes 0