yconic - McGill Engineering vs Queen's Engineering
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McGill Engineering vs Queen's Engineering

A photo of Ghanooj1 Ghanooj1
I was wondering whether anyone could tell me which is better? I really like Queen's but I'm scared the party scene is too overwhelming and I'm not much of a partier. I know that McGill has its fair share of parties but there's much more to do in Montreal. Also, I heard (from my mom and dad - who both studied engineering in McGill in the 80s) that McGill is very theoretical and there is very little hands on work involved in learning. Is that true?

I'm dead set on either McGill or Queen's so please don't advise me on any other university. I like waterloo but it looks ugly, and i live in Vancouver and i want to live away so UBC is not an option.

I also don't understand why Queen's is ranked low in international ratings. Like some rankings put SFU and UVic ahead of Queen's, and those aren't good schools. Explanation?

I know my questions are all over the place, I'm sorry.

Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of plato plato
Participating in the party scene of any school is a choice.

You should base your decision on the community and campus life. Queens and McGill are very different in terms of campus and community. Queens is a self-contained campus, whereas McGill is nestled within Montreal. The student body at Queens largely consists of Ontario private school students, whereas, McGill has much more people from abroad. There are countless differences that I'm not going to list here.

They are only a few hours drive from each other. Fly out to Montreal on your march break and check both campuses out. The campus/community holds much more weight than the party scene or difference in academics.

Academically, my opinion is that McGill is a more rigorous institution, with international recognition.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Within Canada, they are both very reputable so really you should base your choice on other things like campus life/social scene/tuition etc. Also, Queen's has a general first year, which is a huge plus imo. But that's just my opinion.
Personally though, I would go with McGill simply for the international reputation and the Montreal night life. :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of krankd krankd

@Ghanooj1 wrote
I was wondering whether anyone could tell me which is better? I really like Queen's but I'm scared the party scene is too overwhelming and I'm not much of a partier. I know that McGill has its fair share of parties but there's much more to do in Montreal. Also, I heard (from my mom and dad - who both studied engineering in McGill in the 80s) that McGill is very theoretical and there is very little hands on work involved in learning. Is that true?

I'm dead set on either McGill or Queen's so please don't advise me on any other university. I like waterloo but it looks ugly, and i live in Vancouver and i want to live away so UBC is not an option.

I also don't understand why Queen's is ranked low in international ratings. Like some rankings put SFU and UVic ahead of Queen's, and those aren't good schools. Explanation?

I know my questions are all over the place, I'm sorry.

If you plan on staying in canada or pursuing a graduate degree, I think either is fine. But if a graduate degree isnt in your plans, McGill has a much better international reputation. McGill indeed does have a much more demanding academic program.

Just wondering, when did you get an admission offer from Carleton?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I got accepted on January 25th with a 16,000$ scholarship
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of maddawg maddawg
I was just wondering, when did you get your acceptance to Queen's? Were you a chancellors nominee?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I got accepted to Queen's on January 18th. I didn't apply for any scholarships but I received an entrance scholarship.
Was this helpful? Yes 0