yconic - McGill Extracurriculars
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McGill Extracurriculars

A photo of JustChilling JustChilling
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, wasn't too sure where to put it.

I was wondering whether or not it's difficult for an english speaking student (minimal french) to maintain their community involvement and other extracurriculars around the campus and city at McGill. Would the french language barrier inhibit extracurricular involvement in any way? If being involved in clubs, teams, etc is a pretty important part of my life, would it be a safe bet to say that I would be better off attending a university elsewhere in Canada? I've tried searching around this forum and through google, but I haven't really been able to find a definitive answer to this question.
Thanks in advance for all responses :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of SiobhanE SiobhanE
Hey, I'm currently a first-year at McGill and be sure to know that there are hundreds and hundreds of students here who don't speak a word of french. Everything on campus is English and most places around campus are bilingual. I, myself, am bilingual and yet I find I've barely said a word of french since I've gotten here. Now, unless you're joining "French Students at McGill" or something like that, all clubs/teams/etc.etc. are english speaking :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JustChilling JustChilling
Haha well I'll probably pass on the French Students at McGill club. Thanks for the response.
Was this helpful? Yes 0