yconic - McGill First Year Undergraduate Residence Help!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McGill First Year Undergraduate Residence Help!

A photo of fauxhawk fauxhawk
I'm planning on attending McGill this September and I am having trouble selecting which residence to live in.

I want to have a traditional university experience. I want a residence that is fun, social and has parties, but i am still interested in maintaining high grades. I would prefer a double room, but looking through the descriptions for upper rez, there seems to be mainly single rooms.

I would appreciate it if anyone with experience can provide insight into which residence will most suit my needs. In addition, I was looking into New Residence Hall, but from the review I have read, people either love it, or regard it as a snobby rich kid rez. If anyone has any unbiased opinions on New Residence, Douglas Hall, or any of the halls in Upper Rez, please post.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of prmly prmly
I had a friend who stayed in New Rez last year. I was considering accepting my McGill offer for awhile and turned to him for residence advice. He says the luxury of the place is over-hyped, but he loves the fact that he only shares a bathroom with one person.

Of course, New Rez is known for its high proportion of rich, snobby kids from Toronto and the US, but it really isn't as bad as portrayed to be. New Rez is somewhat paternalistic, however, so be warned that you have to sign in guests when they come in.

I think you'd really like RVC: it has some double rooms and is only a block away from campus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of fauxhawk fauxhawk
I am a male, so RVC is not an option, as it is all girls.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly

@fauxhawk wrote
I am a male, so RVC is not an option, as it is all girls.

haha that changed last year! It's co-ed now.

"As of Fall 2010, RVC is co-ed. The tower of RVC has alternating single-sex floors and the west wing continues to be female-only housing."
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of colakid123 colakid123
If you want to "maintain grades" I don't know about upper rez. It's all really rumours and chance though. Do you have a scholarship?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bp42 bp42
Upper rez is pretty heavy on parties, and there are only 2 double rooms in each building. Douglas hall is pretty good, thats where most scholarship students end up so itd be good if you care about your grades, and they still have parties. From what i know New Rez has a snobbish reputation. It is entirely double rooms, and there are quite a few parties. RVC is good, literally across the street from campus, but the section that has the guys was pretty wild for parties and stuff i think. You could always consider MORE houses, each building has about 20-30 people, so enough that theres always stuff going on during the weekends but its still calm and quiet enough to study. Solin is just really far away, nobody wants to go there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of theofficialtta theofficialtta
Hey everyone,

As a 2nd year McGill Student, I hope I can help! This is my personal opinion about Carrefour Sherbrooke. Keep in mind that depending on who you talk to, you're going to get different replies!

Living in Carrefour Sherbrooke, I felt as though I truly missed out on the whole "college experience". We all had nice big double rooms, with queen size beds, huge windows (that are sealed shut! ah!), our own bathrooms that we shared with our roommate, a common room and laundry machines on every other floor, our own gym... BUT we would never hang out in the hallways like say... people in upper rez would. Sure, I mean we all tried doing that the first couple of weeks... but then, well, we just got oh so comfortable in our rooms. Oh, and don't forget the tv and free cable! I mean, if you're looking for a luxurious rez, then this will definitely be like home to you! (Another option is New Rez, it's very similar except the food at New Rez is like x232290824 better!! Plus, they're attached to a mini underground mall!) Pros of C4: all the things I've said above + location! About 2 blocks away from campus and no hill to climb! People are super friendly... but of course, that depends on each year.... HUGE study rooms! Cons: the typical "college experience" isn't really there, the food is okay but the selection is not great at all! You can only sign in 2 guests at once as oppose to unlimited at upper rez.

I'm not an expert on all the other residences so I don't want to say anything about them. Honestly guys, don't fuss over it too much. It'll all turn out to be okay. I have a friend who was so upset when he got Solin as his rez, but now, he loves it! If you guys have any questions, please don't hesitate! I'll try my best to answer any questions about first year.

Don't worry! I was so nervous and excited for first year too! Frosh will come soon and trust me, LOOK FORWARD TO IT. It was amazing, I don't think I ever had that much fun in my life.... :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0