yconic - McGill LACKS DIVERSITY?!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McGill LACKS DIVERSITY?!

A photo of yasmin0293 yasmin0293
So I'm starting to freak out - I was doing all these google searches on Mcgill, and suddenly I find all these threads, "McGill's racist", etc, and I'm like Wtf? I'm a Somali Muslim, who was raised in Toronto, one of THE most diverse cities in Canada, so if Montréal is full of racists, I don't really know if I can deal with that. I also read that McGill has little to no black students....which is a little off-putting to be completely honest. Also, the photos of McGill's student body on their official website, is largely...white (don't get your panties in a twist, I love my white peeps). This could be coincidence, OR it could confirm the fact that there are NO black people at McGill! I also read they hate Anglos, but I speak French fluently, thanks to being enrolled in the French Immersion program since kindergarten. If anyone has been to Montreal,or is a current McGill student, can you help a girl out? I'm REALLY hoping this isn't true :) Much thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of jessiexo jessiexo

@yasmin0293 wrote
So I'm starting to freak out - I was doing all these google searches on Mcgill, and suddenly I find all these threads, "McGill's racist", etc, and I'm like Wtf? I'm a Somali Muslim, who was raised in Toronto, one of THE most diverse cities in Canada, so if Montréal is full of racists, I don't really know if I can deal with that. I also read that McGill has little to no black students....which is a little off-putting to be completely honest. Also, the photos of McGill's student body on their official website, is largely...white (don't get your panties in a twist, I love my white peeps). This could be coincidence, OR it could confirm the fact that there are NO black people at McGill! I also read they hate Anglos, but I speak French fluently, thanks to being enrolled in the French Immersion program since kindergarten. If anyone has been to Montreal,or is a current McGill student, can you help a girl out? I'm REALLY hoping this isn't true :) Much thanks!

Umm if this is from univforum they're full of trolls :P

And I don't really know how you can just label 30k students racist. McGill has one of the largest international student populations... 20% are international. Here instead of me defending McGill, check out 2015's facebook page instead.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_178975178820737&ap=1

There are many people from Pakistan, Ethiopia, China, Mongolia, Hong Kong, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, etc. It's a very diverse and friendly group.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Galactical Galactical
I'm Muslim too.. i wouldn't worry about the racism crap...anyways, my skin is too damn pale to make me standout at all. Does anyone know if there are any halal meal plans at mcgill and which dorm has alot of muslims?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tjozef tjozef
montreal is probably just as diverse as toronto but in a different way(ex. a lot of french-speaking africans). i really don't think you would have a problem with racism/like issues, as mcgill is cosmopolitan and so are most of the people that go there (upper-middle class, educated parents, etc.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Skyper Skyper
HAHA!

First: its not cotton, its a corn field

Second: The field is not in the downtown campus, its in a campus that is at the limit of Montreal.

Third: I know a lot of people going to McGill next year and I can tell you that they all come from different background. At McGill there is the MSA (Muslim Student Assosciation) that you could join. There are some pretty cool people in there that organize sports events every week where muslim and non-muslim like me can participate. They are really inclusive.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
I think it's pretty ridiculous to call any school as a whole racist. McGill has the most diverse student body in Canada, and Montreal is one of the most international cities. There will be ignorant people wherever you go, but I think Montreal and McGill are very liberal and open-minded places in general.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of treecows treecows
I wanted to transfer to McGill because of the diversity there. They definitely have one of the most diverse student bodies out of all the Canadian universities.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456
If it was Queen's I'd be worried. McGill should be just fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Unspool Unspool
McGill may be the most diverse but I think a large portion of those internationals are white Europeans. just sayin'
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of samwise575 samwise575

@jessiexo wrote

@yasmin0293 wrote

Umm if this is from univforum they're full of trolls :P

And I don't really know how you can just label 30k students racist. McGill has one of the largest international student populations... 20% are international. Here instead of me defending McGill, check out 2015's facebook page instead.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_178975178820737&ap=1

There are many people from Pakistan, Ethiopia, China, Mongolia, Hong Kong, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, etc. It's a very diverse and friendly group.

Wow. I went to the univforum and it is ridiculous. Couldn't find a group of less educated people if I tried.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DoctorLawyerDentist DoctorLawyerDentist

@Skyper wrote
HAHA!

First: its not cotton, its a corn field

Second: The field is not in the downtown campus, its in a campus that is at the limit of Montreal.

Third: I know a lot of people going to McGill next year and I can tell you that they all come from different background. At McGill there is the MSA (Muslim Student Assosciation) that you could join. There are some pretty cool people in there that organize sports events every week where muslim and non-muslim like me can participate. They are really inclusive.

What are you referring to??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of esin esin
There are racist jackasses at every school. No need to generalize.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Unspool Unspool

@esin wrote
There are racist jackasses at every school. No need to generalize.

That sounds like a generalization to me. :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of theofficialtta theofficialtta
Hey,

Trust me, I sort of felt the same way too before I came to McGill. Don't worry at all! I feel that I'm treated equally as everyone else and I can barely speak french without dying of embarrassment! Trust me, don't let this ruin the whole experience for you. McGill is a fantastic school. It's super diverse and anglo-speaking! It's only when you go to the outskirts of Montreal that you'll get super Francophones!

Hope this helps.
Was this helpful? Yes 0