yconic - MCGILL LIFE SCIENCE: Impossibly difficult or perfectly doable?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

MCGILL LIFE SCIENCE: Impossibly difficult or perfectly doable?

A photo of UniversityDude UniversityDude
Im really thinking about mcgill next year, for life sciences.
If anyone here is a life sci student at mcgill, could you please tell me:

1.Is the program extremely difficult? How many hours a day do you spend studying, and if possible, post your current gpa?

2.Do you still have time left for things like volunteering at a hospital, doing sports, having a social life, etc?

3.Do they actually bell curve everything down so your average is around a 70 no matter how hard you try?

4.if you do the work and stay on top of things, is it possible to get a gpa of 3.7 or higher (for med school)?

thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
1 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
3. You clearly don't understand how the bell curve works. They don't curve down your mark; they give you a letter grade according to where your percentage mark lies in comparison to all of your classmates' marks. If the class average is 70, and your mark in the course is 70, then you'll likely end up with a B in the course (B is usually what is awarded to anyone who had the class average).

Not many schools use the bell curve; I'm not sure about McGill. What is common is that schools will require their professors to aim for a certain class average (e.g. between 68 and 72%). If you do better than class average (say, by working hard), then you will get a mark higher than class average, i.e. probably >70%.

Bell curve or not, at McGill your classmates are top-notch, and, ultimately, to get high marks you need to do better than your classmates... it's harder to do that at McGill, given the high calibre of students it enrolls. If you want to take the easy route, go to a crappier school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0