yconic - McGill nursing vs university of Toronto life science
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McGill nursing vs university of Toronto life science

A photo of stephanieysun stephanieysun
I got accepted to McGill nursing, still waiting for life science to respond, and also got accepted to u of t life science, and u of Waterloo health studies coop. But I'm majorly trying to pick between McGill nursing and u of t life sci. I'm very stuck between the two I have no idea which program is better! Any help please? :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of stack444 stack444
neither is better, they are just different in many ways
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of stack444 stack444
the mcgill program is probably better for nursing..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Life Sci and Nursing are 2 very different programs like the above poster mentioned.
So it depends what your goal is ultimately.
If you want to be a nurse.. obviously McGill would be the better option.
But if you aren't 100% on being a nurse but know it's something science related, then maybe U of T is the right option.
But I'm sure both are good programs, although hard to maintain super high GPAs at either probably.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote
Life Sci and Nursing are 2 very different programs like the above poster mentioned.
So it depends what your goal is ultimately.
If you want to be a nurse.. obviously McGill would be the better option.
But if you aren't 100% on being a nurse but know it's something science related, then maybe U of T is the right option.
But I'm sure both are good programs, although hard to maintain super high GPAs at either probably.

Thanks for all the help! Well I know I want to do something related in the hospital...hmmm. Like I asked people about u of t life sci and they said it's pretty hard, but what isn't hard right? But haven't heard much about nursing at McGill..is nursing at McGill even good?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx
Well, i think nursing would be more practical, just from the perspective of getting a decent job after 4 years. If you don't get into med/pharm, then you still have more skills inside the hospital than a life sci grad. You'll be working in a hospital, but if you take life sci, you'll probably need some form of post grad study to get a decent job.

(Disclaimer: the views represented in this post are those of a high school student ignorant of many things. Feel free to contradict and/or correct them.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I guess it all depends on exactly what your passion entails and where you see yourself in a hospital, and what kind of job you want to be doing. There are hundreds of possible opportunities in healthcare working in a hospital setting. Nursing would definitely be more of a specific and practical route to choose - but I would only suggest to go there if you KNOW you want to be a nurse... but remember that there are LOTS of different things nurses can do, lots of specializations (Ex: Pediatrics, ER, bedside, Med-Surg)... so you can have lots of freedom to choose where you want to work and with what kind of patient, etc. Most people thing of nursing as a "one type of role" kind of job, and that's not how it goes in real life.
If you choose Life Science is more general and is something to take only if you are planning to go into Medical school afterwards.
With the 4 year nursing degree - you can already start working and get a great salary.
In the end, it's really up to you... follow your gut, and I would actually suggest you try to speak to a nurse or someone who knows one to see if it's something you really want to do.

Good luck! :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks!!
Do you know if after I do nursing, can I still do med school? If so are my chances of getting in slimmer than life sci?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx

@stephanieysun wrote
Thanks!!
Do you know if after I do nursing, can I still do med school? If so are my chances of getting in slimmer than life sci?

You can (technically anyone can as long as they have the right courses). The thing with nursing though is that the program is so structured and you don't get many electives to make sure you meet med school requirements (since we don't take many general sciences). My friends doing it and has to take a bunch of extra courses to be eligible for medical school. From my understanding, it's much easier if you work as a nurse for a bit and then go to med school. (Plus, then you'd have more money saved).
Was this helpful? Yes 0