yconic - McGill or Trinity?!?! HELP
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McGill or Trinity?!?! HELP

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
[size=6]Hey everyone,

I have a HUGE problem. I intend to pursue law school and for undergrad, am intending to do political science. I have acceptances from both McGill and Trinity College University of Toronto for poly sci. I am really stuck; McGill has an amazing program and Montreal is amazing (its also a plus to get far away from home; I live in Toronto). On the other hand, Trinity College offers a more intimate environment, has the academic dons, but also has a reputation for having very preppy, arrogant students. I like both colleges but I'm looking for the best road to law school. I but was wondering:

1.) Which would be better for higher GPAs? Do academic dons make a difference?
2.) Does being in Trinity allow to have more contacts (alumnis,etc.), keeping law school in mind?

IM REALLY STUCK, so any input will be amazing on both schools.

[/size]
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of NumberOne NumberOne
Being at McGill would definitely make it easier to get a higher GPA; not because the school itself is easy, but U of T's grading is known to be rather unfair at times.

I personally am probably going to go to McGill and I didn't apply to Trinity because I don't like U of T - too large of a school too close to home.

McGill is the Harvard of Canada where everyone, no matter which program you're in, is smart and intellectual. The average grade average for the entire undergraduate student body last year was a 91.3%. So alumni range from political figureheads to doctors and businessmen. McGill has produced something like 130 Rhodes Scholars, more than any other university.

Not to mention some of the professors are simply genius. Charles Taylor, for example, is a philosophy professor at McGill and according to my grade 12 law teacher, "is simply a marvel to sit and listen to"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Taylor_%28philosopher%29

My opinion is clearly bias, so take input from other people as well..but McGill has the international rep, a great atmosphere and an amazing program - especially in the Liberal Arts.

Good luck with whatever you choose. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks NumberOne,
You're right about McGill; its amazing. It's definitely one of the best schools, but I also need to hear stuff about Trinity. Ive always sided for McGill but that academic don thing and benefits at Trinity is really enticing. So, any people from Trinity, please step and help me out!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rourachnitchai Rourachnitchai
I selected Trinity over McGill.

I've visited both campuses and decided to go to the school with a seemingly closer-knit community. The student population at Trinity is as bright as McGill (with an average entrance average over the last few years of 91%) and the small size will enable me to make some close friendships relatively quickly through college clubs and organizations such as the Lit, the TCDS and the college newspaper. The difficult grading is the only thing that worries me at U of T, however I am passionate about both of my intended majors already and I want more than a cursory understanding of my chosen disciplines. I also prefer Toronto to Montreal in terms of cultural life (the COC, AGO, ROM, TSO, and so forth).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom

@NumberOne wrote
McGill is the Harvard of Canada

Haha, okay.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@littleroom wrote

@NumberOne wrote

Haha, okay.

While I (and any sane person) would agree that no Canadian school is even comparable to an Ivy (mostly because of funding), I think he means that McGill is the Harvard of Canada simply as in it's the best school in Canada (as Harvard is the best in the US). But U of T and UBC easily challenge that position.

And to say it's the only school where everyone is intellectual is just plain wrong. For one, I've heard from friends who go there that many students are actually "brainless" because all they want to do is party. And schools like Queen's have similar entering averages, so it's reasonable to say that students there are just as intelligent on average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NumberOne NumberOne

@Zion wrote

@littleroom wrote

@NumberOne wrote

Haha, okay.

While I (and any sane person) would agree that no Canadian school is even comparable to an Ivy (mostly because of funding), I think he means that McGill is the Harvard of Canada simply as in it's the best school in Canada (as Harvard is the best in the US). But U of T and UBC easily challenge that position.

Yeah, I agree. Of course, the term "best school in Canada" is subjective and prone to bias- this is just my take on things.

@Zion wrote

And to say it's the only school where everyone is intellectual is just plain wrong. For one, I've heard from friends who go there that many students are actually "brainless" because all they want to do is party. And schools like Queen's have similar entering averages, so it's reasonable to say that students there are just as intelligent on average.

Of course there are always going to be the "brainless" students in any university. But if you look at it purely statistically speaking, the McGill average entering average in all programs was a 91.2%

Queen's was a 87.9%

U of T was a 84.0%

http://www.queensu.ca/irp/accountability/CUDO/cudo2010/sectionB.html

http://cudo.utoronto.ca/2010/index.php

http://www.mcgill.ca/es/profile/

But you really can't go wrong at any of these three universities.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Wow. Thanks guys for the convo, but do any of you know anything about Trinity? I know that, you know, McGill, Queen's, UBC, UofT, are all very good universities, but Trinity's the make or break. I'll probably take the leap, albeit the marks drop, if I think itll be worth it...But is it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom

@TruthfulSophist wrote
Wow. Thanks guys for the convo, but do any of you know anything about Trinity? I know that, you know, McGill, Queen's, UBC, UofT, are all very good universities, but Trinity's the make or break. I'll probably take the leap, albeit the marks drop, if I think itll be worth it...But is it?

The only people at UTSG that are impressed that someone is from Trinity are Trinity students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@littleroom wrote

@TruthfulSophist wrote

The only people at UTSG that are impressed that someone is from Trinity are Trinity students.

Ha. So true.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of canta93loupe canta93loupe
My cousins both went to Trin and they loved it. They liked being surrounded by intelligent people, and they were able to make lots of strong connections through Trin. They didn't really say that much about academic dons (maybe because they weren't that useful for them?) and they were able to maintain high GPAs. But then again, they both want to go into the medical field so they worked really hard. As for alumni connections... again they didn't really mention that? Trin is the smallest college at U of T, so I can't imagine that they would would be an extensive alumni network...

I was actually in the same position as you before. McGill and U of T were my top choices, and I am toying with the idea of law school in the future... but I ultimately chose McGill over Trinity I feel like even though both places will challenge me academically, the program at McGill suits me better and Montreal is just sooooo awesome.

Maybe you should just make a pro/con list for McGill vs Trin and see which one suits you best? From your posts anyway, it kind of seems like you are leaning towards Trin.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TruthfulTruist TruthfulTruist

@TruthfulSophist wrote

I think McGill, Queen's, UBC and UofT are all very good universities.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Palisades Palisades
Everyone's already pointed out the obvious - both schools are great. I guess you're just going to have to decide using other aspects, like would you rather spend the next four years of your life in Toronto or Montreal? Or, which one would cost you less.
Was this helpful? Yes 0