yconic - McGill or U of T?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McGill or U of T?

A photo of 6x7 6x7
Hi there, I am undecided between choosing McGill or U of T for where I want to go to study. I know both are stellar in both arts and sciences programs, which is why I am torn. I mean, I would love to live in both Montreal or Toronto, so that is already ruled out, so I just want to know any PROS and CONS from both to help me to decide.

I am planning to apply for the Arts program for a B.A., probably in English and in something else - so if there is any info on modern languages and english literature for courses - and in clubs that are language, literatue, or film based, that would help to know. I would love the help guys! Thanks in advance! :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
20 replies

A photo of thtbwoii thtbwoii
If you choose McGill and go for something like modern languages then your going to be limited to an indepth English and French department. U of Toronto has various language departments and clubs and activities that support all the languages they offer i.e. Chinese Dialects, Portuguese, Spanish, English, French, Italian etc. English Literature Courses will be about the same at both for second year, but if you want large class sizes go to Toronto, and vice versa for McGill. Hope that helps.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
^ McGill isn't exactly a small university, I wouldn't expect much smaller class sizes than U of T.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SassyAmbivalence SassyAmbivalence
Well the Pros and Cons in terms of McGill for me personally...

Pros

- Cheap (Montreal-born& raised, exempt from ridiculous ontario student tuition)
- In Montreal (Miss my Beloved)
- Childhood friends
- Family
- Parents a good 7 hours away from me
- Prestige
- Rite of Passage (family members all successful alumni from that University)
- Get a car
- Awesome program
- Awesome internship opportunities

Cons

- Far from parents (can be a con too)
- Large classes
- 'Hard'
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 6x7 6x7
Actually, I heard that McGill class sizes are 500-600 average. A lot actually are around 900 in McGill, so both universities have the same class size average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred

Are you going to grad school?
If no:
Pick whatever one is cheaper.

If yes:
In the US? If yes, McGill. McGill is the only university anyone in the US has heard of.
Whenever I travel there, they ask me if I go to "McGill" and when I say "No, I'm going to be going to the University of Waterloo" they go "What?"
If no...

In Canada? If yes, University of Toronto.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
^ I'm in grad school in Canada and I didn't go to McGill or U of T. Same with many of the people in my program. Similarly, universities in the US know about other universities in Canada, because if you're a good researcher you keep up with your field.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 6x7 6x7

@rightsaidfred wrote

Are you going to grad school?
If no:
Pick whatever one is cheaper.

If yes:
In the US? If yes, McGill. McGill is the only university anyone in the US has heard of.
Whenever I travel there, they ask me if I go to "McGill" and when I say "No, I'm going to be going to the University of Waterloo" they go "What?"
If no...

In Canada? If yes, University of Toronto.

I really like your organization on this, so thanks btw!

1) I'm going to be an undergraduate*

2) I'm from Canada, and yes I've heard that McGill is that Harvard of Canada.
However, I heard that despite the rankings, McGill isn't that great. Even though I will admit that I love the rankings, I also like what they have to offer for the Freshman program. On an aside note, U of T is also beginning to beat McGill, and they offer such great programs, and more majors as well. This is all very wishy-washy for me. :/

*I think it is great to note that I do plan to go to grad school, and outside of Canada as well, like in the U.K., Paris, or the U.S. I know it sounds weird, but would choosing one of the two (McGill or U of T), help my chances in getting in to a competitive grad school outside of Canada?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of OscarUK OscarUK

@6x7 wrote

*I think it is great to note that I do plan to go to grad school, and outside of Canada as well, like in the U.K., Paris, or the U.S.

Sorry but I have to ask; why so specifically Paris compared to "UK" and "US"?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 6x7 6x7

@OscarUK wrote

@6x7 wrote

*I think it is great to note that I do plan to go to grad school, and outside of Canada as well, like in the U.K., Paris, or the U.S.

Sorry but I have to ask; why so specifically Paris compared to "UK" and "US"?

I chose Paris because of Sciences Po. Though not my top choice, I am pretty interested in it as a grad school to go to.

There are many universities in numerous cities that I am interested in for the U.S. and the U.K. that I thought I might as well state them as a whole instead of stating all of the cities.

So I was wondering if my university choice will affect my chances at getting into a competitive grad school outside of Canada?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@6x7 wrote

I chose Paris because of Sciences Po. Though not my top choice, I am pretty interested in it as a grad school to go to.

There are many universities in numerous cities that I am interested in for the U.S. and the U.K. that I thought I might as well state them as a whole instead of stating all of the cities.

So I was wondering if my university choice will affect my chances at getting into a competitive grad school outside of Canada?

Fair enough.

In terms of your choice, no, not really. Both are very good unis and decent grad schools will have heard of both and will merit you on your academics/references above all else.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 6x7 6x7

@OscarUK wrote

Fair enough.

In terms of your choice, no, not really. Both are very good unis and decent grad schools will have heard of both and will merit you on your academics/references above all else.

Well then that's good to know. I was just worried that, say I chose U of T and have a *hopefully* decent GPA, but will get turned down because they decide to choose another student with the same GPA, but from McGill, or vice versa with the schools. I forgot that internships and experience also matter as much as GPA and school "name" as well. :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Brianrankin Brianrankin
1. U of T Has a much better reputation internationally, is overall ranked better among world universities, and contrary to popular belief has reasonably sized class sizes.
2. McGill doesn't have the college system, this allows you to not "just be a number" and fit in with a group of people among a huge group of students.
3. Pick which campus feels the best, because at the end of the day, it doesn't matter how good the school is if you hate getting up every morning to go to class.
4. I can assure you that neither school is going to be easy, granted i'm a first year, but i have friends who are 4th year at both McGill and U of T and both say the same: it's no cake walk.

Good Lucking picking, i had your choice this time last year. As a hint, take a look at other schools as well, don't be limited to what you feel to be "Better" school based on reputation!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 6x7 6x7

@Brianrankin wrote
1. U of T Has a much better reputation internationally, is overall ranked better among world universities, and contrary to popular belief has reasonably sized class sizes.
2. McGill doesn't have the college system, this allows you to not "just be a number" and fit in with a group of people among a huge group of students.
3. Pick which campus feels the best, because at the end of the day, it doesn't matter how good the school is if you hate getting up every morning to go to class.
4. I can assure you that neither school is going to be easy, granted i'm a first year, but i have friends who are 4th year at both McGill and U of T and both say the same: it's no cake walk.

Good Lucking picking, i had your choice this time last year. As a hint, take a look at other schools as well, don't be limited to what you feel to be "Better" school based on reputation!

1. I heard that the "reasonable sized class sizes" only applied to their weekly seminars. Is that true, or are you just talking about lectures/classes in general as well?

2. That's what I've heard about McGill. However, I heard that the lack of an active student body ends up making you a number either way. :S

3. Makes sense - after all, I'm paying to go there. :cheers:

4. Yeah, apparently both schools don't make it easy for you to get a good GPA, which is making me scared. However, I love what they have to offer for my program of choice.

Yeah I have been looking at York, Ryerson, and Queens as well! However, U of T and McGill give me a warm vibe. Actually, I had my heart set on McGill ever since I was in grade nine, but I am beginning to look at U of T and like what they have to offer, which is why I am being indecisive. Now I'm thinking that the reason why I liked McGill so much was for the rankings, whereas for U of T (even though they have top notch rankings themselves), what interested me was that they had the collegiate system and more variety of courses to choose from. I guess I need to think of other things that will help make my decision, like finances, accomodation etc.

Thanks so much for your help! :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Brianrankin wrote
1. U of T Has a much better reputation internationally, is overall ranked better among world universities

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2011
http://www.usnews.com/education/worlds-best-universities-rankings/top-400-universities-in-the-world
http://oncampus.macleans.ca/education/2010/11/10/our-20th-annual-university-rankings/
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2011-2012/top-400.html

Only THES (which is very research focused) ranks UofT on top.

Also I don't know where you mean by "internationally, but I can tell you in Europe McGill is far more likely to be the only well known Canadian University, especially in the UK/France. I have also heard from many that this is the case in the US too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of uoftlover uoftlover
CHOOSE U OF T!

Unless you are wanting to major in life sciences at McGill (apparently it's the best in the country, although UofT's program is exceptional as well), the University of Toronto has been ranked numerous times as the best university in the country.
Also, not many people know this, but UofT owns a lot of stores in Toronto (Bloor street--Banana Republic, the Ugg store, Sephora, Holt Renfrew, etc) and therefore has a lot of cash at its disposal. There are many events and talks catered to students that will help you along with your degree, as well as opportunities for bursaries and international exchanges. Although mcGill does offer all of this, it simply does not offer as much as UofT does, and it is not the same quality.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SassyAmbivalence SassyAmbivalence

@uoftlover wrote
CHOOSE U OF T!

Unless you are wanting to major in life sciences at McGill (apparently it's the best in the country, although UofT's program is exceptional as well), the University of Toronto has been ranked numerous times as the best university in the country.
Also, not many people know this, but UofT owns a lot of stores in Toronto (Bloor street--Banana Republic, the Ugg store, Sephora, Holt Renfrew, etc) and therefore has a lot of cash at its disposal. There are many events and talks catered to students that will help you along with your degree, as well as opportunities for bursaries and international exchanges. Although mcGill does offer all of this, it simply does not offer as much as UofT does, and it is not the same quality.

Wait. Come on. Montréal > Toronto when it comes to shopping and entertainment. :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What you will learn at either is to make your own decisions and weed out any information given to you which contains any bias.

Off the top of my head, anyone called "uoftlover" is likely to have a somewhat one sided point of view.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of WaterfallOfDestiny WaterfallOfDestiny
Based on student satisfaction and reputation, I would say McGill. But I'm also a francophile, so I might be biased when it comes to the amazing architecture, language, and overall culture in Montreal. =D

@uoftlover wrote
Also, not many people know this, but UofT owns a lot of stores in Toronto (Bloor street--Banana Republic, the Ugg store, Sephora, Holt Renfrew, etc) and therefore has a lot of cash at its disposal.

Not many people know this, because it isn't true.

Funny you should say U of T has a lot of cash at its disposal, actually. From the Globe and Mail two weeks ago: "The University of Toronto has launched the largest university fundraising campaign in Canadian history, setting an ambitious $2-billion target as it recovers from the blows of a global recession."
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@WaterfallOfDestiny wrote

Funny you should say U of T has a lot of cash at its disposal, actually. From the Globe and Mail two weeks ago: "The University of Toronto has launched the largest university fundraising campaign in Canadian history, setting an ambitious $2-billion target as it recovers from the blows of a global recession."

It still has the largest endowment of all the universities in Canada. The investments of all universities got hit pretty hard by the recession
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted