yconic - McGill Res Lottery
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McGill Res Lottery

A photo of Sean1218 Sean1218
Unfortunately, I'm not one of the major or entrance scholarship winners, and don't have access to the guaranteed first/second choice. I'm trying to gauge my chances of getting into one of my top three: New Res double, Douglas double or Douglas single. Considering these are generally the most popular, I'm not thinking my chances are good.

Anyone know how many major and entrance scholarship winners there are on average each year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of purpledog purpledog
I'm not sure about your chances. You never know, you could end up with your first choice! Apparently there are 100-150 major entrance scholarship winners. I'm not sure about entrance scholarship winners though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ghana1994 ghana1994
Is it true that Douglas is reserved mostly for scholarship winners?

Also, is it that the lower your lottery number is, the more likely you are to get your top choices? Or higher? Like a 20 will bring you closer to your top choices than a 40? Or the other way around?

New Rez is really expensive! But the food is good. And you have your private bathroom and a TV.
Douglas is one of the Bishop Mountain rezs or something, so there are 3 other rezs with it, so that's where A LOT of 1st year undergrad students will be. So, if you go to Douglas, it's a good way to meet a lot of people.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of youstoppedmakingsense youstoppedmakingsense

@ghana1994 wrote
Is it true that Douglas is reserved mostly for scholarship winners?

Also, is it that the lower your lottery number is, the more likely you are to get your top choices? Or higher? Like a 20 will bring you closer to your top choices than a 40? Or the other way around?

New Rez is really expensive! But the food is good. And you have your private bathroom and a TV.
Douglas is one of the Bishop Mountain rezs or something, so there are 3 other rezs with it, so that's where A LOT of 1st year undergrad students will be. So, if you go to Douglas, it's a good way to meet a lot of people.

It's not technically 'reserved' for scholarship winners; it's just that a whole lot of people, including the scholarship winners, put Douglas as their first choice, so most spots go to the ones that get to call dibs on whichever rez they prefer. The chances of getting a single at Douglas are relatively slim, unless you're lucky enough to be assigned a low lottery number, which means they'll review your rez application and give you an offer before Douglas/other popular halls are full.
Was this helpful? Yes 0