yconic - MCGILL School Spirit?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

MCGILL School Spirit?

A photo of halestorm29 halestorm29
Does anyone know what McGill's school spirit is like?
I'm not extremely bent on having a school with lots of pride, but I'd like to cheer for my school at the occasional football game or w.e. I know that at UWO their school spirit can be contagious, and I would like to have somewhat similar pride for my school. I visited McGill during frosh week which looked crazy, but does anyone know what it's like for the rest of the year?
I would love any input!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of Zion Zion
School spirit settles down after frosh week, but that's the same at any school. I obviously don't go to McGill, but according to my friend there it has a lot less spirit/community than schools like Western and Queen's, but still quite a bit more than U of T or UBC since there aren't many commuters. I don't believe sports are a big deal at McGill either, but most McGill students are definitely proud of the fact that they're McGill students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of OscarUK OscarUK

@Zion wrote
School spirit settles down after frosh week, but that's the same at any school. I obviously don't go to McGill, but according to my friend there it has a lot less spirit/community than schools like Western and Queen's, but still quite a bit more than U of T or UBC since there aren't many commuters. I don't believe sports are a big deal at McGill either, but most McGill students are definitely proud of the fact that they're McGill students.

So after a while of researching Canadian Uni's this seems to be a bit of a trend I'm finding; that university sports really aren't that big of a deal in Canada. Is this mostly true? It's not a criticism, just surprising as I guess I always sort of associated it with the way the Americans do college sport, although obv not to such a large extent. Here in the UK inter-uni sports, especially between local rivals are generally huge events for the main sports; rugby, football etc.
Maybe it's just the places I'm looking at, but do Uni sports really not get much following?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Emaad13 Emaad13
It's true, Uni sports are not given much hype and support in Canada as compared to UK and definitely when comparing to U.S. Western and Queens are the only universities which are "appropriately" supporting their sports teams, especially football though. It's an unfortunate trend!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of Emaad13 Emaad13
and since you're from the U.K., when I say Football, I mean American Football, not Soccer :P Just an FYI!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of Unspool Unspool
Barely anyone shows up to McGill football games after the first one of the season.
Was this helpful? Yes 0