yconic - McGill Science Refusal
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McGill Science Refusal

A photo of 137sc 137sc
Hey everyone!
I just checked my minerva (McGill login thing) and I was shocked to see a refusal, and the reason was stated as inability to meet academic requirements.

I'm shocked, because my marks do surpass the admission requirement (91.5%)..
they are:

Philosophy-99
English-89
Biology-92
Calculus-95
Chem- 90
Adv Functions-92

I also have a 91 in grade 12 french

My school hasn't sent in midterms yet and won't till next week either!

My marks in grade 11 were not bad either, but not as good (85-89)...so should I contact McGill and ask why I wasn't accepted..? or is it one of those things where they only accept people 95+??????

:(

Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of jessiexo jessiexo
Hmm that's strange... :S I didn't think they declined anyone around the cutoff until the end of May.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of luckylion luckylion
I've heard their cut-off was around 92% last year. But, it could be higher this year.
If I were you, though, I would still call them and find out why. Nothing to lose...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Meridian Meridian
That is strange. Maybe they used your grade 12 French instead of Philosophy ? (Is the Phil course grade 12U/M ?)

Note that McGill called my school (Ontario) last week and asked for my interim 2nd term marks over the phone. Minerva shows that they now have those marks, but I still have the "requires further review" tag. My ave is around 94%.

Please tell us what you learn from talking to McGill.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheLaw TheLaw
There are two possibilities... either that they have raised their requirements since too many ppl with high marks applied (this happened last year too, the original cut off was 90, but then they raised it to 92) OR there has been a mistake made somewhere, so u should try contacting them regardless to find out what happened.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheLaw TheLaw
There are two possibilities... either that they have raised their requirements since too many ppl with high marks applied (this happened last year too, the original cut off was 90, but then they raised it to 92) OR there has been a mistake made somewhere, so u should try contacting them regardless to find out what happened.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of marky marky
for the record, my average is only 93 and I'm still under review so it can't be that their cutoff increased dramatically.
so it must be some other reason
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bowchickawowwow Bowchickawowwow
What program is this?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bimbim1230 bimbim1230

@Bowchickawowwow wrote
What program is this?

According to the 91.5% I think it's life sciences.

Are you from Quebec? I'm an Ontario student and they don't even start reviewing me until mid-May i think...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hockeynut91 hockeynut91
The 92% is an artificially high. they keep it that high to compensate for grade inflation in schools outside of Quebec.

And the cut-off could have changed. I got in in early April last year with a 97% average so don't feel bad. I would wait a little bit as they are accepting more freshman this year as they are building a new rez as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0