yconic - McGill Transfer Application !! HEEEEEEEELP!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McGill Transfer Application !! HEEEEEEEELP!

A photo of Ellian Ellian
I'mCurrently enorlled in BBA at Wilfrid Laurier, 2nd yr. I found that it is not the right place for me, to clairfy; (I'm an International student) and they don't treat us well here.

I like Montreal, it's the city I find very inspired for me, I really want to stay there for studying and I <3 Shopping as well :)

So I just applied to McGill for Fall 2012 Entrance, and my current Brock GPA is exactly 80% (A).

Would it be hard for me to get into their BComm (BBA) and/or their Bachelor of Art And Science? Or Engineering?

I didn't do that much of volunteering, but I do however have a strong GPA in a Computer Science Diploma I did prior going to Laurier at my home country (did 89% GPA).

Would it help to get into McGill if I'm an international student on a study permit? ( So in such case; I will be paying them 3 times a local student would pay).

You may wonder, why didn't I apply to U of T.. Cuz Baiscally, I didn't like Toronto, it sucks.
I did apply to McMaster, but haven't heard back from them yet and I bet they would accept me into their Engineering program which I applied to ( require higher gpa than the one I have). A friend of mine told me that McMaster tries to accept as much girls as possible in Engineering to get them back into Eng. science. I hope to be one of them.

Any advice about McGill needed! And Thanks in Advance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
You would like Hamilton better than Toronto? Strange. I doubt Mac would let you in just because you are a girl, that's a terrible way to promote gender equity.

Your Brock GPA is probably too low for a transfer to McGill, to be honest.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Ellian wrote
I'mCurrently enorlled in BBA at Wilfrid Laurier, 2nd yr. I found that it is not the right place for me, to clairfy; (I'm an International student) and they don't treat us well here.

I like Montreal, it's the city I find very inspired for me, I really want to stay there for studying and I <3 Shopping as well :)

So I just applied to McGill for Fall 2012 Entrance, and my current Brock GPA is exactly 80% (A).

Would it be hard for me to get into their BComm (BBA) and/or their Bachelor of Art And Science? Or Engineering?

I didn't do that much of volunteering, but I do however have a strong GPA in a Computer Science Diploma I did prior going to Laurier at my home country (did 89% GPA).

Would it help to get into McGill if I'm an international student on a study permit? ( So in such case; I will be paying them 3 times a local student would pay).

You may wonder, why didn't I apply to U of T.. Cuz Baiscally, I didn't like Toronto, it sucks.
I did apply to McMaster, but haven't heard back from them yet and I bet they would accept me into their Engineering program which I applied to ( require higher gpa than the one I have). A friend of mine told me that McMaster tries to accept as much girls as possible in Engineering to get them back into Eng. science. I hope to be one of them.

Any advice about McGill needed! And Thanks in Advance.

Going to McGill and living and shopping in Montreal are two separate things. If that's why you want to come here, you're not making a smart decision. McGill is much harder than your current school, and they don't deal with transfer students well.

Bad idea, and here's why (I posted something similar to someone else's transfer thought):

Do not ever transfer to McGill! I transferred from UofT to McGill because I thought it would be cheaper to live, but they screwed me over big time!

They have no idea how to deal with transfer students. As a transfer, I should be in 2nd year linguistics, but I could not apply for my courses until about 3 months after all the other upper students applied for courses. I was allowed to apply 1 day before first year students, but that made no difference because by that time all the courses I should be taking were filled by other people. Then I tried to put myself on the waitlist (the courses allowed it), but it wouldn't let me, even after I had declared my major and minor (at McGill, they make you take a minor as well, even if you're doing honours).

So then I try to find out why, but no one knows. I spent the entire month of August coming up to Montreal and being kicked around from registrar's office (Service Point, who have no authority or brains), to Faculty of Arts, to individual departments to first-years office. I did this about 4 times, and no one could answer my questions. They just sent me elsewhere. My credit amounts we accepted, but not the McGill equivalents. In order to get the equivalents, you have to go to fill out a form and then go to every department to have it approved. I don't know how long that takes because it's been about a month and I'm still waiting. But after they approve it, you have to go to the registrar's office to have them actually do it.

McGill has an extra fee. They charge you the regular tuition fee and ancillary fees, but it will cost you $7,000 to $7,500 because they charge an out-of-province fee. If you don't have Quebec citizenship, you pay $1,500 more then normal.For you, you may be paying a lot more as an international student.

Also, look into the program requirements because they will probably be different. I am taking first-year classes-only because McGill expects me to take courses different from the ones I needed at UofT. In fact, none of my courses have anything to do with my linguistics major because I have to take logic and a minor, and I can't get into any of my linguistics courses. No one has helped me yet, even though I've visited the department and sent e-mails. My logic course is more mathematical and boring; it uses a textbook that talks more about the computer software than the material, and the software is outdated and inefficient. I have an assignment due tomorrow, and I can't do it because the program isn't working well for me.

So to be honest, if you have to switch, do not EVER choose McGill because you will get screwed over, majorly. On top of that, it might be better for you to suck it up and stay put because transferring will probably screw you over anyway. You have to do 3 more years and you're done. You can do a Master's degree at any university after that.

I can tell you, I hate it at McGill and I hate transferring. I may just transfer to uOttawa or Carleton because it's cheaper for me (I'm from Ottawa and had a job that paid twice minimum wage).

But also, to transfer to McGill (and maybe even UofT) you need a GPA of 90% or higher. It's a miracle, they say, for anyone to get accepted as a transfer student to McGill. I believe them because they had no idea how to deal with me... I should have stayed at UofT.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nezzurazi nezzurazi
Do you really need 90% GPA or higher to get into McGill? Was dying to transfer to McGill but your horror story just gave me the shivers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0