yconic - McGill vs Ivey vs Queens - Pro's and Con's
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McGill vs Ivey vs Queens - Pro's and Con's

A photo of asian123 asian123
Im deciding between the 3 and so far mcgill is my first choice.

McGill:

Pros - Fantastic Reputation especially overseas, Best location, Good alumni, (in my case, freedom since ill be away from my family in toronto :cheers: )

Cons - Program is not as highly rated as Queens or Ivey,

Ivey:

Pros - Effective case-based method, Very strong alumni, Best starting salaries and placements

Cons - First 2 years are practically wasted, Expensive, Boring location

Queens:

Pros - Premier program at Queen's, Strong placements,

Cons - University is not as well recognised internationally, Dont like Kingston at all,

What are your opinions? Can anyone else add to this?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
17 replies

A photo of TruthfulTruist TruthfulTruist
Please spare us your bias and just go to McGill already.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of deca4life deca4life
I agree with Truthful Truist. If you like McGill so much, just go there. You'll be happy there and therefore perform well.

Also, don't underestimate the beauty of the 2 + 2 structure at Ivey.... you're not wasting anything :bball:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Yeah if you like McGill just go there...can't go wrong with any of them so go to the one you like
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony
Queen's and Ivey's should be matched in best starting salaries and being expensive.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@TruthfulTruist wrote
Please spare us your bias and just go to McGill already.

so add some pros and cons for Ivey and Queens.....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote
Yeah if you like McGill just go there...can't go wrong with any of them so go to the one you like

i already said that it was my first choice, and i guess i will
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imsyed imsyed
OP Stick to your choice.

I got AEO too and I know Ivey is great but so is McGill. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Why did u choose mcgill again? I think i asked u this question before, but i forgot...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Serendipity Serendipity
Go to McGill if you like it so much, I don't see the point in making this post OP.

Ivey and Queen's both have better placements overall than Desautels.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I wanted everyone to list a few pros and cons for each course, then by the end, we would have an entire list. This would help a bunch of ppl that were in the process of deciding which uni to go to......
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QueensCommerceTyler QueensCommerceTyler
Great idea asian123. Being a Queen's Commerce student, I'll shed some light onto Queen's. Obviously I have a strong bias, but I'll be as honest as I can.

Pros:
Small class sizes, premier business school in Canada, high starting salaries leaving university, ability to make relationships with professors, tons of extracurricular opportunities, school spirit

Cons:
A lot of work, major emphasis on group work (that may or may not be for you), competitive nature within the program

If anyone has any questions about the program, don't hesitate to message me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of transformerz transformerz

@QueensCommerceTyler wrote
Great idea asian123. Being a Queen's Commerce student, I'll shed some light onto Queen's. Obviously I have a strong bias, but I'll be as honest as I can.

Pros:
Small class sizes, premier business school in Canada, high starting salaries leaving university, ability to make relationships with professors, tons of extracurricular opportunities, school spirit

Cons:
A lot of work, major emphasis on group work (that may or may not be for you), competitive nature within the program

What is the point of asking a strongly biased student on their opinion of their school?

Pro: Best school.

Con: Very competitive.

Seriously, SA has just become a recruiting ground.
To the OP, just go to McGill. You sound like your mind's been set and you just want reassurance to back up your decision. Why not call up some McGill alum instead?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Everyone has a bias, but it is still important to get every opinion you can. I am just speaking from personal experience.

Also, by "competitive", I was not referring to the admissions process, but the culture within the program. Some people may not be attracted to a program with, for example, a ranking system.

Many topics are about choosing which university is the best fit for you. It is important to understand as much as you can to make this major decision.

Transformerz, you make a good point that I am biased (as I said before). When reading any posts here you should consider the bias. I am just trying to give people information on QC based on my personal experience, take it or leave it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gucci Gucci
Just go to Ryerson you'll be best off there trust me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gucci Gucci

Pros:

Cons:

how could you leave out the biggest con? The location.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Gucci wrote

I left it out because opinions on location significantly vary. Some people like living in a large metropolitan area and some like living in a college town. Kingston is very much a college town, which may or may not appeal to people.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QueensHSL2011 QueensHSL2011

@Gucci wrote

I left it out because opinions on location significantly vary. Some people like living in a large metropolitan area and some like living in a college town. Kingston is very much a college town, which may or may not appeal to people.

One of the biggest reputations Queen's has are for its school spirit, atmosphere, and community. Although it may not have the amenities of Toronto or Montreal it has everything a student needs. After first year most students are still within 8 min (walking) of campus, you can walk down the street and be on campus or your friends house. It helps with all the group work you have in QC, you can just walk out your door and be on campus, without taking a bus. Not being in the big city brings great opportunity to get involved and be apart of Queen's, much more like a traditional American state school. Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYUUBm2s7NI&feature=player_embedded

You will find little reason to leave the area surrounding campus. On the main street we have brand shopping, Gap, American Apparel, Urban Outfitters, as well as many local restaurants.

If you have any more questions about Kingston post them up!

Was this helpful? Yes 0