yconic - MCGILL VS QUEENS (PLEASE HELP, MOST IMPORTANT DECISION OF MY LIFE) :)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

MCGILL VS QUEENS (PLEASE HELP, MOST IMPORTANT DECISION OF MY LIFE) :)

A photo of Nicsmith Nicsmith
Hi, my names Nic and I've got the predicament of the decade :P
I'm a high school grad who has gotten into both Queen's & McGill for Arts. I want to know what people have to say about community, student life, academics ( regarding social sciences & humanities), & opportunity for research and internships (obviously in upper years) from what they have heard, as well as their personal experiences at either institution.

Another little factor.. McGill is giving me 3K & Queen's is giving me 28K. Money is important as I'm the only one funding my education, but is the money worth the prospect of everything montreal offers as well as the (arguably) better international rep McGill offers? I'm an Au Pair in Germany atm, and can't be in Canada spending a solid amount of time at either place because of this... so it's a little awkward making the decision abroad.

I truly appreciate the help and info that anyone can contribute :)
Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
I would follow the money. For an Arts degree reputation isn't going to take you very far. I don't think anything that Montreal could offer would significantly outweigh an extra $25,000
Was this helpful? Yes 0

my thoughts are somewhere along those lines as well. It would be nice to start post-grad with minimal debt eh.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

It's $7, 000 a year on the criteria of holding a 2.0 GPA. But if I fall below that I would have to question what I'm doing there anyway.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@differentusername wrote
I agree with ktel. That is a huge amount of money to turn down, and Queen's is definitely great. Is it a guaranteed $28K or is it $7000 renewable each year? That might be a deciding factor because it would mean added pressure of having to keep up ridiculously high grades. If it is $28K outright, you should definitely take it. Your hard work in high school should pay off in the best way possible, quite literally!!!

Congratulations!

& thanks, I worked my damn a$$ off xD
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of ktel ktel
That's a pretty lax condition for renewing the scholarship, which is great. You shouldn't have a problem keeping high grades if you earned such a high scholarship based on your high school work. You say you want to do post grad? Grad school, med school or law school? Then keeping your undergraduate debt low (or non existant) will be great.
Was this helpful? Yes 0