yconic - McGill vs Queen's vs Carleton electrical engineering
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McGill vs Queen's vs Carleton electrical engineering

A photo of TheGMan94 TheGMan94
Hi everyone! I'm currently in 12th grade and I have applied to three different universities in electrical engineering. Those universities are Mcgill, Queen's and Carleton. To be exact, i applied for biomedical electrical eng at carleton, electrical eng. at Mcgill and Queen's. Now I have to make a decision between them and i'm really stuck and I was hoping I could get some opinions. Here's how I evaluated them:

Queens:
Good scholarship
Good program
Good co-op
Expensive (+res)
Id take a minor in biomedical with my electrical eng. degree

Mcgill:
No scholarship
Great name
Good program
good co-op
Expensive(+res)
Id take also take a minor in biomedical with my electrical eng.degree

Carleton:
Good scholarship
Good program
University with a weak reputation
Good co-op
not expensive (i live down the street)
No need for a minor

Please let me know what you think as soon as possible. THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of seasharp seasharp

@TheGMan94 wrote
Carleton:

I've heard that Carleton is "losing" its bad reputation as time goes on.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles

@seasharp wrote

@TheGMan94 wrote
Carleton:

I've heard that some of the Carleton engineering grads get some pretty sweet placements, although nowhere near as great as the Waterloo/U of T grads.
OP, I'd go with either Queen's or Mcgill, it really doesn't matter. I hear Queen's engineering community is incredibly tight-knit and I hear only legendary stories about their traditions and what not. That being said, Montreal is pretty legendary too. Your pick.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tukr tukr
I can't really speak for Carleton, but I was debating Queen's and McGill engineering as well and this is what I take from it:
Queen's and McGill don't have co-op but their internships have a good reputation if you can get one (I know Queen's internships aren't the easiest to get)
I also get the impression that Queen's engineering is a bit more solid than McGill's (in practical skills, McGill is pretty theoretical). I have a friend in 4th year electrical at Queen's who says that the program is definitely quite rigorous, but he has great opportunities opened up to him (he works summers at Bombardier). The ECE facilities at McGill may be a bit nicer (I didn't do an in-depth tour of the ECE facilities at either school but I looked at the one at mcgill and it was nice)
I guess I'm a bit biased towards Queen's (likely heading there in the fall), but I actually live in Kingston and while rez is pricey at both schools, living in Kingston is not going to cost you nearly as much as Montreal! Personally I love the Queen's spirit and community, that was a big deciding factor for me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plato plato
McGill has the best electrical engineering program of the three schools listed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheGMan94 TheGMan94

@seasharp wrote

@TheGMan94 wrote
Carleton:

Yea but it's certainly not on the same level as Queen's and Mcgill. Plus they have no standards for admission. Everyone i know who applied to Carleton got accepted
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of maelong maelong
agree with plato
isn't mcgill far best among those schools?
I thought Mcgill-UT-Waterloo-UBC are the best schools in canada
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@plato wrote

By far though? I'm under the impression that while McGill's engineering programs might be stronger than Queen's in some aspects, Queen's engineering is pretty damn good too. Admission into Queen's engineering is pretty hard and while that doesn't reflect entirely on the strength of the program, I think it does give it a lot of credibility.

@maelong wrote
agree with plato

Again, McGill is probably one of the best schools for engineering in Canada, but I'm pretty sure Queen's is definitely up there too. While it may not be on par with McGill it's pretty close....
If I had applied to Queen's engineering (which I wish I did), I probably would have strongly considered it next to McGill/U of T/Waterloo. Unfortunately I found out about the epic-ness of Queen's engineering too late. :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of maelong maelong

@iliketurtles wrote

@plato wrote

By far though? I'm under the impression that while McGill's engineering programs might be stronger than Queen's in some aspects, Queen's engineering is pretty damn good too. Admission into Queen's engineering is pretty hard and while that doesn't reflect entirely on the strength of the program, I think it does give it a lot of credibility.

@maelong wrote
agree with plato

Again, McGill is probably one of the best schools for engineering in Canada, but I'm pretty sure Queen's is definitely up there too. While it may not be on par with McGill it's pretty close....
If I had applied to Queen's engineering (which I wish I did), I probably would have strongly considered it next to McGill/U of T/Waterloo. Unfortunately I found out about the epic-ness of Queen's engineering too late. :(

I don't know anything bout Queen, never even heard of the school, if it's that good and with the scholarship I would definitely choose Queen as well
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Stevio1 Stevio1
Most of these comments are nonsense. Carleton has some of the strongest engineering programs in Canada. Overall, Carleton is very strong in the eletronics/electrical and systems and computer engineering departments.

The Carleton software engineering program is one of the best in the world, competing with some of the best schools out there: http://www.sce.carleton.ca/dept/departmentNews/ranking.pdf

A bit outdated but it's improved since then if anything. The electrical engineering department is very strong as well. Almost all comments I see about "this university better than that" don't seem to cite any sources. Remember that most of these top schools are there because of big research funding due to bigger size, etc... The undergrad programs have to meet province standards, and you're not going to find any different material being taught at any of these schools. Carleton may be more lenient when it comes to accepting students, but that doesn't reflect on the programs in any way. It may be easy(easier) to get in but you cover the same material once you're in. I noticed a drastic decrease in class sizes from first to second year.

Research the schools thoroughly and don't be afraid to email the registration staff for advice/help. It really doesn't matter where you do your undergrad, so go somewhere that you will be comfortable. There's plenty of foreign students here doing their masters and ph.D's in so called top universities (McGill, UofT) and they did their undergrads in obscure schools from overseas.

And by the way, Queen's university is nothing special at all... Seriously over hyped. Queen's has this huge reputation and not many seem to know why, and if they think they do, they can't really back it up.

1. McGill
2. Carleton (depending on the eng program, higher than McGill)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Stevio1 wrote
It really doesn't matter where you do your undergrad, so go somewhere that you will be comfortable.

I don't completely agree with this...while the rest of your post is perfectly valid I find it hard to believe that Carleton kids get placements as good as Waterloo/U of T grads or even McGill/Queen's grads. Again I don't have sources for this (it would be pretty hard to gauge objectively). Not saying Carleton grads get bad placements but everyone I know seems to think that Queen's and McGill place much better than Carleton. Again, no sources on this other than the engineers that I've met.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iliketurtles wrote

@Stevio1 wrote
It really doesn't matter where you do your undergrad, so go somewhere that you will be comfortable.

I don't completely agree with this...while the rest of your post is perfectly valid I find it hard to believe that Carleton kids get placements as good as Waterloo/U of T grads or even McGill/Queen's grads. Again I don't have sources for this (it would be pretty hard to gauge objectively). Not saying Carleton grads get bad placements but everyone I know seems to think that Queen's and McGill place much better than Carleton. Again, no sources on this other than the engineers that I've met.

Would have to disagree on that. Students from my graduating class, myself included, have landed positions at Google, Microsoft, RIM, IBM, General Dynamics, and the fed. government. It doesn't really get any better than that in the software industry. Waterloo grads I'm sure get very good placements as well, seeing as how they're ranked higher than Carleton anyway.

McGill and UofT students also get very strong placements, and as for Queen's students, well I really haven't heard much on where their students end up to be honest. But to think/say that they will end up with better jobs with no reasoning to back it up makes no sense.

I think it's important that I reiterate that it does not matter where you obtain your undergraduate degree. Make it your aim to be an outstanding student and you will do well. And that's outstanding in more than just academics - communication is crucial.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^
Never heard that about Carleton, but I'll take your word for it :)
Congrats on such great placements too!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plato plato

@iliketurtles wrote

@plato wrote

I can only speak on behalf of the ECE program. My opinion is that Queens does not compare to McGill.

Admissions difficulty does not speak to the quality of the program, it only implies that demand exceeds supply. Look at UT's engineering admission averages in 2002-2005, after the dot-com bubble burst. It was in the low eighties. This was not because the program lacked quality, it was because there was no demand for engineering education.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

@iliketurtles wrote
^
Never heard that about Carleton, but I'll take your word for it :)
Congrats on such great placements too!

Thanks! Carleton does seem to have this negative reputation, but that doesn't have anything to do with its engineering program, which from my research and experience has always been strong. The school has also been investing into its campus a lot recently, and they've just opened a new engineering building.

Carleton is known to be strong in engineering and journalism (not surprising since those are the first two programs that were offered by the school at the time it was founded). Its other programs do seem to be a bit of a joke though (don't quote me on that), and that never helps a school's reputation as a whole.
Was this helpful? Yes 1