yconic - McGill vs. UBC - Need to make final decision
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McGill vs. UBC - Need to make final decision

A photo of Thalamus Thalamus
Hello,

I have been admitted to both McGill and UBC for engineering/applied science (not too sure which discipline of engineering I will go into yet, most likely electrical/computer or mechanical). I have until June 1st to make a final decision regarding which school I should go at. I know quite a bit of family in Montreal and I won't be living on-campus if I go there. From the top university lists that I've seen, it seems as UBC outranks McGill slightly. If I go to Vancouver, I won't know anyone, but at least I'll get the experience of a "uni student" by living on-campus. I'm not sure if this will make a big difference when I'm job hunting in the future. I'm not sure if I want to go to graduate school because I've read that it's not too important for engineering.

If anyone has any tips or insight on this, please post here. (For example if you know which school is easier)

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of Flooks Flooks
I know that UBC is definitely better know internationally, but I would guess that Mcgill is better known in Canada. As for the course load/difficulty, I wouldnt expect much differences since they'll be similar courses.

May i ask what your avg was for UBC? was it your 1st choice?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly
UBC's a better school for engineering. Vancouver's a better city. You'll like it here.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@Flooks wrote
I know that UBC is definitely better know internationally

Where'd you get that idea? McGill is still the most recognized Canadian school internationally.

I wouldn't pay much attention to rankings though, UBC and McGill are both amazing schools.. I'd base your decision more on the campuses, atmospheres, cities, costs, extracurriculars, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Flooks Flooks

@Zion wrote

@Flooks wrote

Where'd you get that idea? McGill is still the most recognized Canadian school internationally.

I dont have any stats for u or anything, but i believe UBC probably gets more international students from places outside of Canada.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@Flooks wrote

@Zion wrote

@Flooks wrote

I dont have any stats for u or anything, but i believe UBC probably gets more international students from places outside of Canada.

20% of McGill students are outside of Canada, and I thought that was the highest. Granted, I wouldn't be surprised if UBC had more Asians than whites now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@Zion wrote
20% of McGill students are outside of Canada, and I thought that was the highest. Granted, I wouldn't be surprised if UBC had more Asians than whites now.

Yup, definitely.
UBC and McGill are both amazing schools. On an international scale, I think McGill ranks higher than UBC though.
I have a few friends at UBC Engineering and they both love it there.
But Montreal and Vancouver are two completely different cities, so it really depends on your own personal taste.
Also depends on if you're considering grad school outside of Canada after your undergrad, then the school rep comes into play.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sammyz18 sammyz18
Not saying UBC isnt a great school, because it is. But is this serious? Give me one ranking list that puts UBC ahead of queens? http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2010
Mcgill is ranked 19th in the world, UBC is 44th.......
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sammyz18 sammyz18
Not saying UBC isnt a great school, because it is. But is this serious? Give me one ranking list that puts UBC ahead of McGill? http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2010
Mcgill is ranked 19th in the world, UBC is 44th.......
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
That ranking is terrible. Besides, rankings are based on research, so they're more for grads than undergrads (and even then, grads care more about specific departments, so they're useless).

Regardless, McGill, U of T, and UBC are the top three schools in Canada in terms of research and "prestige". They're pretty interchangeable so, as I said, look at factors other than reputation.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Classiquely Classiquely
I had to make a similar decision, but I have chosen to go to McGill because of numerous factors. Though I will be far away from home, technology is at the point where I'd be able to communicate with my family quite easily.

Furthermore, McGill is one of the top Universities in the world. To me, I see attending it as a chance of a lifetime.

:bigsmurf:
Was this helpful? Yes 0