yconic - McMaster Arts & Science
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McMaster Arts & Science

A photo of LaVieEnRose LaVieEnRose
Hey!:colors:
So I applied for Mac's artsci and I was wondering what average I would need to really have a chance. I know the program is SUPER competitive considering only 60 students are accepted, but this is my first choice and waiting till May is killing me! So i just want to have an idea if I even have a shot at this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
118 replies

A photo of kyleigh711 kyleigh711
Well, you have a shot as long as your average is above 88%. However, the supplementary is REALLY important.

What they do is give your supplementary a mark between -5 and 5, then add that to your average. (This is just what I've been told, so take it with a grain of salt.)

I've also been told that every year a few people are admitted with an 88 on the dot, but the higher your average is, the higher your chances. Last year on the forum someone said that they had asked about their chances (they had a 97) and were told that with those marks they only needed an average supplementary. So if you're confident in your supplementary, an 88 might do it, but if your supplementary is terrible even a 100% might not be enough.

I hope this helped a bit. I know it's kind of vague, but I honestly don't know if anyone really knows their chances right now. It makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one going crazy from the wait :)

Good luck! Maybe I'll see you there next year! :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks! that does reassure me a little bit but i am still so nervous. WHY CANT IT JUST BE MAY ALREADY!?!? lol
hope we both get this!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Do you mind me asking what your average is?

I had about 90 in my first semester and I was hoping to bring that up since I have my 4 strongest courses this semester, but I'm pretty nervous. I know I'll be over the cutoff but I don't know by how much and I don't have a clue how my supplementary stacks up!

Anyone else in the same position?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Right now I have a 93, but hopefully with midterm marks i can secure a 95? hopefully... lol
I actually emailed mcmaster to ask them about what range the average has to be and they said in the low 90s. they also said that the number of applicants who applied (so also submitted their supp app) is 600. She also said they sent out a letter by mail recently but i havent gotten anything :S did anyone?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
i received the letter like ...a week ago or more. it just said wait until may lmao.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

I got my letter on Friday, and it said the same thing as csze's: that they got the application and supplementary, and that offers go out in may.

If 600 people is right, I think that's less than last year. That means an acceptance rate of at least 10%, probably more since they send out more than 60 acceptances.

Okay, I'm gonna reach for a mid 90 average and hope that's enough cuz I think that's the best I can do. :bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Entropy Entropy
They also may be sending out fewer acceptances than last year, since the 2014 class is overly large.
Dont worry about the letters, you guys may even get phone calls asking if you have any questions.
I think most people who got in had low 90's. But, then again, 1 person in 1st year had 100% coming in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

fewer acceptances? lovely... lol
Since you're in the program, do u mind me asking how you like it? Is it as amazing as we all perceive it to be?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Entropy, what was your average if you don't mind sharing? Also, where do you think you would have gone if you'd been rejected from artsci?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vanilla21 vanilla21
I have a 92 average right now & I think that the most I can bring it up to is probably 93-94 but i dont know if that'll happen. I'm just wondering...how much effort did you guys put in your supp app? I started mine over the winter break & got a few people (friends & teachers) to edit it but i just dont know how it measures up compared to other people...

Anyways, im really nervous for May but i really want to find out already! I also cant wait till midterms when the stress from school finally calms down

Good luck to everyone, hopefully we'll survive the long wait...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

To answer the above posts:

Artsci is really a fantastic community. Im sure there are some that dont love it, but I would say most do. The only thing I'm a bit wary of is the fact that its leaning more artsy rather than sciencey, which I dont like as much...combining in sciences is difficult/could kill you, so I dont think I am combining, but will be taking many courses.

Which leads me to my next point. Had I not been in artsci I would have gone to biomed at western. I got rejected from mac health sci, so that was my other option until it got nixed. Truthfully, had I gotten in, I would have chosen healthsci. But they are really really different, and I dont regret my decision.

re: kyleigh711: I had a stellar grade 12 year, I finished with a 97 in my top 6. Most people's averages werent that high, dont worry.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IonicSquid IonicSquid
Hey guys, I was looking for more info about ArtSci and stumbled across this thread. I received an email last week with an attached letter saying I was accepted into ArtSci. I was really surprised because this was the first I'd heard of an acceptance being sent out before May. My friend also received an acceptance via email last week.

I have a 94.7 average and I think my supplement was good. His supplement was good too and his average is around 93.

Anyone else received a very early acceptance?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

IonicSquid, are you out of province?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

congrats! You must be OOP though since ontario students only find out beginning of May earliest
Was this helpful? Yes 0

congrats IonicSquid! Are you and your friend going to accept?
Does anyone know how many OOP applicants they accept? Is it the same number every year?

@vanilla21 - I'll be honest, I didn't get anyone to edit my supplementary. Partially because I finished it pretty late, and partially because I made it pretty personal and I wouldn't have wanted just anyone to edit it. I did however spend a LOT of time contemplating and formulating my answers (I think I started in November).
Does anyone feel comfortable posting their supplementary? I know people often do this on the healthsci threads.

On another note, they've started phoning people, so be prepared if you have any questions to ask them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vivvyt vivvyt
I'm very, VERY glad to know that there those out there who are as anxious as I am about the wait. I went to visit Mac over the break for the "ArtSci Activity" and I have to say, I had my doubts but this program (faculty, student and atmosphere inclusive) are just amazing...

May 5th could not come sooner :( (for Ontario students)

Good luck to all and hopefully we'll all be ArtSci frosh together in September!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of IonicSquid IonicSquid

@kyleigh711 wrote
congrats IonicSquid! Are you and your friend going to accept?
Does anyone know how many OOP applicants they accept? Is it the same number every year?

Yes, I'm from BC. I've accepted, although I'm also waiting to hear about the Bell Scholarships at Mount Allison before I make my final decision.

My friend is accepted to Harvard, so as much as I'd love for us to end up in Hamilton together I have a feeling he might be going south of the border. It's a shame but I'm obviously very happy for him.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Less than a month, guys! You can do it!
We found out on like April 30th last year.
Keep going!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

AHH CAN'T WAIT!
i just want to know already!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vanilla21 vanilla21
only a few more days till midterms and a little more than two weeks till we know...
i can't wait!
Was this helpful? Yes 0