yconic - McMaster Arts and Science 2011
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McMaster Arts and Science 2011

A photo of fingiie fingiie

@fingiie wrote
I've done an abundance of research on this program. I've heard that it is more artsy than sciency... and although I love both, I want to know that I have the flexibility of eventually pursuing a science career...I like the idea of doing both and fostering skills in both disciplines, but I also want to know that my priorities are accounted for. Ideas anyone?

Now that applications are done and the wait continues, anyone willing to post their supp app?

Yes, at least in first year (and people will argue throughout all 4 years) artsci is more artsy than sciency.
That being said, nothing prevents one from pursuing a science career.
All artscis have the option to "combine" aka to double-major in any field (artsci and biology, artsci and math, etc). It means that most (if not all) of your electives will be specifically within that field, but dont worry - there is a guide to how to combine if you so choose to.
Its also important to note that plenty of artscis graduate and go on to medicine or other scientific fields. For example, there is a wonderful grad of this year who was a stellar physics student - she won tons of awards in physics competitions, etc, and was accepted to Harvard, Yale, Stanford, MIT...for physics (you name the school, and she probably got into their graduate program).
You have to take a 1st year science (bio, chem or envirosci). You take calc in first year (which is almost on par with Math 1A03, and tougher than lifesci math (Math 1L03 I think). You take half a year of stats in 2nd year, and you take physics in 2nd year (which some argue is not exactly at the same level as first year physics). And remember, you have plenty of elective space in 2nd, 3rd and 4th year to further pursue science.
Hope that clears things up!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of Entropy Entropy

@fingiie wrote
I've done an abundance of research on this program. I've heard that it is more artsy than sciency... and although I love both, I want to know that I have the flexibility of eventually pursuing a science career...I like the idea of doing both and fostering skills in both disciplines, but I also want to know that my priorities are accounted for. Ideas anyone?

Now that applications are done and the wait continues, anyone willing to post their supp app?

Yes, at least in first year (and people will argue throughout all 4 years) artsci is more artsy than sciency.
All artscis have the option to "combine" aka to double-major in any field (artsci and biology, artsci and math, etc). It means that most (if not all) of your electives will be specifically within that field, but dont worry - there is a guide to how to combine if you so choose to.
Its also important to note that plenty of artscis graduate and go on to medicine or other scientific fields. For example, there is a wonderful grad of this year who was a stellar physics student - she won tons of awards in physics competitions, etc, and was accepted to Harvard, Yale, Stanford, MIT...for physics (you name the school, and she probably got into their graduate program).
You have to take a 1st year science (bio, chem or envirosci). You take calc in first year (which is almost on par with Math 1A03, and tougher than lifesci math (Math 1L03 I think). You take half a year of stats in 2nd year, and you take physics in 2nd year (which some argue is not exactly at the same level as first year physics). And remember, you have plenty of elective space in 2nd, 3rd and 4th year to further pursue science.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Entropy Entropy

@fingiie wrote

Was this helpful? Yes 0