yconic - McMaster: BIOLOGY/PHARMACOLOGY (CO-OP) - HELP!!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McMaster: BIOLOGY/PHARMACOLOGY (CO-OP) - HELP!!

A photo of missecret missecret
My average is an 84% but im kinda worried about getting into this program as it's the only one I applied to. That being said, since I didn't apply to 2 more programs, I won't get a conditional offer. Should I apply to 2 more programs just to be safe? there isn't any other program that I want though...
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of comebackkid comebackkid

@missecret wrote
My average is an 84% but im kinda worried about getting into this program as it's the only one I applied to. That being said, since I didn't apply to 2 more programs, I won't get a conditional offer. Should I apply to 2 more programs just to be safe? there isn't any other program that I want though...

Unfortunately, the cut off this year for Life Science is 85%, and that is the absolute lowest :(

As lawstudent mentioned, there are many alternatives:
-If you are interested in earth sciences, then I would recommend applying to earth science, and then transferring.
-If you are fixed on biology, then you could attend Waterloo first year for biomedical science, for example. The cut off at Waterloo is 78%, and they offer a very flexible program. You may find you'll like it more in BioMed.

If your goal is to pursue BioPharm though, then I suppose you could always stay behind and takes things slow?
BioPharm is also a third year specialization at Mac (If I'm not mistaken...), so there's no rush to go right now!

Also, McMaster does not send out alternate offers, so it is strongly recommended to apply to all the programs you're interested in :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of missecret missecret

@comebackkid wrote

@missecret wrote

Unfortunately, the cut off this year for Life Science is 85%, and that is the absolute lowest :(

As lawstudent mentioned, there are many alternatives:
-If you are interested in earth sciences, then I would recommend applying to earth science, and then transferring.
-If you are fixed on biology, then you could attend Waterloo first year for biomedical science, for example. The cut off at Waterloo is 78%, and they offer a very flexible program. You may find you'll like it more in BioMed.

If your goal is to pursue BioPharm though, then I suppose you could always stay behind and takes things slow?
BioPharm is also a third year specialization at Mac (If I'm not mistaken...), so there's no rush to go right now!

Also, McMaster does not send out alternate offers, so it is strongly recommended to apply to all the programs you're interested in :)

Here are my marks:

Advanced Functions: 71% >:( Bitch teacher
Chemistry: 86%
Biology: 90%
English: 85%
Physics: 87% MIDTERM.
Exercise Science: Hopefully 96%

If i ask in desperation (lol) to hopefully bring my physics mark up to 89%, would I still get in?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of comebackkid comebackkid
Regardless of an 89 in physics or not, you would have an 85+ average with those marks :)However, even though you can still be admitted with those marks, you might hear back really late or you still may not be admitted. Like Lawstudent said, to be competitive an 87 or 88 is usually the mark.

Question: Did you take calculus this year? If it's not in your top 6, then you may have a little bit of difficulty with University Calculus. 1 credit in Math 1A03 (Calculus) or Math 1LS3 (Life Science Calculus) is required for the Biology major, which will lead into BioPharm. You may want to take a summer course to introduce you to the fundamentals of calculus before taking a University level calculus course :!:
Was this helpful? Yes 0