yconic - McMaster Engineering I 2011! Some assistence would be appreciated! =D
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McMaster Engineering I 2011! Some assistence would be appreciated! =D

A photo of Tides Tides
Hey guys, im graduating this year and ive applied to McMaster Engineering 1 (Co-op) for the year 2011-2012.

Im kinda stressed because my average is as follows

ENG 4U - 86
MHF 4U - 82
SCH 4U - 71 (D:)
MCV 4U - 88
SPH 4U - 86
CLN 4U - 84
So my total average is 82.83333333333

IT would be great but chemistry killed me lol

They said the average is low to mid 80s this year, which is kinda broad so does anyone know if this would be a safe average to attain admission to engineering for sept 2011?
what did they say in open houses? or do you guys know anyone that has gotten in with an average around the same? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I really hope i get in haha :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
22 replies

A photo of jkrooster jkrooster
You'll get in with that average don't worry.Your average is within the range.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike
In the fall open house they said they are expecting 82 to be the average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Tides Tides
Haha thanks guys thats somewhat relieving! :) Im just very unsure because some people say its 82, somesay 83,some say low to mid 80's so im a bit confused, more responses would be helpful! thanks again!:chef:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sdey22 sdey22
I'd say you have a somewhat good chance. Last year the cut-off was 82, but this year due to the number of increase in applicants who knows it might have gone up or gone down. But usually the cut-offs stay the same. I'm kind of in the same boat as you :P waiting on MAC engineering, my top 6 average is 83.5% hopefully we both get in :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sdey22 sdey22
I've also talked to the associate dean for engineering at Mac about 2 days ago, he said that the cut-off should be 83%, but this other lady I talked to that works in recruitment says it might be anywhere from 83~84% :S so I'm kinda not sure either. Not to worry you or anything because they don't really have anyone's mid-term marks yet to determine a definite cut-off.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Tides Tides

@sdey22 wrote
I've also talked to the associate dean for engineering at Mac about 2 days ago, he said that the cut-off should be 83%, but this other lady I talked to that works in recruitment says it might be anywhere from 83~84% :S so I'm kinda not sure either. Not to worry you or anything because they don't really have anyone's mid-term marks yet to determine a definite cut-off.

Haha ouchhh, well I guess I really have to wait it out and keep my fingers crossed. I know someone that got in engineering I with their first semester grades, they had an 84 average, and this is with only English, and 2 other business courses. To get in with second semester midterms + first semester finals, arent the cutoffs usually lower than what they require with only the first semester grades?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sdey22 sdey22

@Tides wrote

@sdey22 wrote

Haha ouchhh, well I guess I really have to wait it out and keep my fingers crossed. I know someone that got in engineering I with their first semester grades, they had an 84 average, and this is with only English, and 2 other business courses. To get in with second semester midterms + first semester finals, arent the cutoffs usually lower than what they require with only the first semester grades?

I know someone who got into mac after first semester with 84, and someone else with an 85, but they actually probably got in because of their grade 11 marks. Usually the cut-off is lower, but let's say everyone has higher grades after mid-term? The cut-off isn't definite now, it'll be definite when mid-term marks go in, so just hope most people who've applied have a top 6 average that is less than yours :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@sdey22 wrote
I'd say you have a somewhat good chance. Last year the cut-off was 82, but this year due to the number of increase in applicants who knows it might have gone up or gone down. But usually the cut-offs stay the same. I'm kind of in the same boat as you :P waiting on MAC engineering, my top 6 average is 83.5% hopefully we both get in :)

I'm about at your mark, 83.8, offer-less. I didn't know that there was an increased number in applicants, did they tell you how many more people applied?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Tides Tides

@chatmike wrote

@sdey22 wrote

I'm about at your mark, 83.8, offer-less. I didn't know that there was an increased number in applicants, did they tell you how many more people applied?

Yeah i think we're all slightly around the same, apparently there was a higher number of applicants, but i hear usually the cutoffs drop a little bit when the midterms go in, i hope its true :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of baller2353 baller2353
i got in early acceptance before the mid term marks went out. I got in with a 82 average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sdey22 sdey22

@baller2353 wrote
i got in early acceptance before the mid term marks went out. I got in with a 82 average.

They probably took your grade 11 marks into consideration that's why.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Tides Tides

@baller2353 wrote

How did you do in grade 11? :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Madhawakolonna12 Madhawakolonna12
You guys will get in, not to worry. My friend got in the about 2 days ago with a 82.2 (82 point something) average. I got in with a 84.5%. So you'll be alright! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of WFerrell3 WFerrell3
i got in early acceptance with a 94.0% average from grade 11...so you should be fine:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Uh did anyone else get a confusing alternate offer on OUAC? I applied for Eng Coop, this is what i got:

Alternate Offer
Program Code MEC
Program Information ENGINEERING 1 CO-OP
Co-op No

wat. Its an alternate offer to the same program, without Coop, but it has coop in the title?

Can anyone put some light on this situation?

edit: my acceptance email says "Engineering (Co-op)". Weird stuff.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sdey22 sdey22

@chatmike wrote
Uh did anyone else get a confusing alternate offer on OUAC? I applied for Eng Coop, this is what i got:

Alternate Offer
Program Code MEC
Program Information ENGINEERING 1 CO-OP
Co-op No

wat. Its an alternate offer to the same program, without Coop, but it has coop in the title?

Can anyone put some light on this situation?

edit: my acceptance email says "Engineering (Co-op)". Weird stuff.

Mine still just says:

Offer
Expires
2011-06-02 MEC McMaster University
Engineering I (Co-op)

Maybe they gave you an alternate offer for not co-op? But, your average was like 0.3% more than mine lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

that's weird man. should i call them or something?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sdey22 sdey22
yeah try calling them to see why, but i don't know if it makes a difference because anyone in Engineering can get into Co-op even if you applied for it or not
Was this helpful? Yes 0

yeah kinda bizarre, do you think it might be a clerical error or something?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Update: It's an error on Mac's part. If you got an alternate offer, it's a mistake. It'll update sometime early next week.
Was this helpful? Yes 0