yconic - McMaster Engineering I
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McMaster Engineering I

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
Apparently, McMaster offers "Free Choice" to applicants coming into first year which guarantees them a spot for their upper year program. Does anyone know approximately what admission average is required to receive that?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
17 replies

A photo of chatmike chatmike
Most people last year that received it had a 90+.

Now note there are stipulations about it. Some programs are excluded (like for example the more specialized programs, either Chemical and Bioengineering or Electrical and Biomedical engineering, can't remember off the top of my head) and if you fail a course i believe it gets revoked. Or if your average goes below a C- cumulative (which you'd be kicked out of engineering anyways since that's the min average you can have).

The only way you get free choice is if you get super early acceptance in one of the very first waves, so if you miss that first or second wave chances are you won't get it! But don't fret, my programming prof said something like 3/4 of students get their 1st or 2nd choice anyways, so it's not really that important.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm interested in one of the Software Engineerings, so either Software Engineering or Software Embedded Systems. That being said, if my average is above a 90, will I be guaranteed acceptance into first year itself (not necessarily with free choice)?

Also, do you know how early Mac sends out their first wave of acceptances? I have 3/5 pre requisites finished already and am currently taking Calculus. The only mark they'd have to wait for second semester would be English.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm not really sure if Software lets you use free-choice, my guess is most likely, but i'd do a quick google search or a search on Macs website to be for certain.

With a 90 you will get in. That being said i have a slight feeling the admission average for Mac will be a bit wonky this year. In my year they bumped the cut-off down to an 80%. Most people were really surprised by that, and Mac over-enrolled by a lot. My buddy went to talk to the guidance counseler here about his chances in 2nd year with the surplus of people, and she told him not to worry about it and said "We just needed some extra funding this year, so we took in more people, the fail rate is still high, so they'll fail". Which means if they want more money they'll lower the cut-off like my year, or if they have enough money (hah like any uni thinks they have enough money) they'll probably raise it, who knows.

I remember hearing about people getting offers as early as february. So maybe around there? Maybe a few weeks earlier or after?

But i wouldn't fret bud, you'll make it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@chatmike wrote
I'm not really sure if Software lets you use free-choice, my guess is most likely, but i'd do a quick google search or a search on Macs website to be for certain.

With a 90 you will get in. That being said i have a slight feeling the admission average for Mac will be a bit wonky this year. In my year they bumped the cut-off down to an 80%. Most people were really surprised by that, and Mac over-enrolled by a lot. My buddy went to talk to the guidance counseler here about his chances in 2nd year with the surplus of people, and she told him not to worry about it and said "We just needed some extra funding this year, so we took in more people, the fail rate is still high, so they'll fail". Which means if they want more money they'll lower the cut-off like my year, or if they have enough money (hah like any uni thinks they have enough money) they'll probably raise it, who knows.

I remember hearing about people getting offers as early as february. So maybe around there? Maybe a few weeks earlier or after?

But i wouldn't fret bud, you'll make it.

Wow that's terrible and funny at the same time. I hope they maintain a decent admission average for my year.

Thank you, fingers crossed! :)

@engineersrock wrote
My friend is in SE at Waterloo, he had a 90+ average. I think you have a really good shot of getting in too. Well, it depends how much above 90 I guess.

I also see you are applying to Eng Sci! Super cool!

Best of luck, I think you will get into your top choices quite comfortably. If you have any specific questions for Waterloo SE, I can get some answers for you.

Cheers!

Waterloo SE is my first choice haha with Mac as my second (I don't want the common first year). My average currently is about a 94.3% but that might go down slightly before the end of the semester.

I don't really like the upper year specializations for Eng Sci/I don't know much about them, but I thought I'd apply and then figure it out later. It sounds interesting, but I've heard all sorts of things about the program..

For SE, do you know if background experience in programming is heavily considered? I only have Grade 11 Comp Sci, so it won't make my AIF as impressive as some others.

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@ninetyfour wrote

For SE, do you know if background experience in programming is heavily considered? I only have Grade 11 Comp Sci, so it won't make my AIF as impressive as some others.

Thanks!

Not trying to scare you or anything, but for Software marks wont just cut it. I asked them personally during engineering shadow day at UW and the director of admissions told me that they rely heavily on your work experience, programming knowledge, CCC, and your extra curricular activities for SE as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iRamie wrote

@ninetyfour wrote

Thanks!

Not trying to scare you or anything, but for Software marks wont just cut it. I asked them personally during engineering shadow day at UW and the director of admissions told me that they rely heavily on your work experience, programming knowledge, CCC, and your extra curricular activities for SE as well.

Yeah that's why I'm worried. However, I talked to the head of Software on the same day and he said the higher your marks get, the less they care about the extras so there is some hope :3
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@ninetyfour wrote

@iRamie wrote

@ninetyfour wrote

Thanks!

Yeah that's why I'm worried. However, I talked to the head of Software on the same day and he said the higher your marks get, the less they care about the extras so there is some hope :3

LOL were you there during the afternoon or the morning?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iRamie wrote
LOL were you there during the afternoon or the morning?

Uh I was at the 12pm one? It was so crowded, he had to split the session and do another at 12:30 too haha

*Edit

Haha oops wrong event. I meant I was at the Fall Preview day, not the Shadow Day. I went to the Shadow Day in February :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of cheers123 cheers123
I'm interested in mechanical engineering and mechatronics.
My AS results average was around 90-91%.I have about 40 hours of volunteering and community service(hoping to do more) and I am in a few clubs in my school( like young inventors club etc. but I'm only a member), so my AIF form isn't going to be that full.So what do you reckon my chances are of getting accepted to U of Waterloo tron?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Mechatronics is competitive but a 90+ average gives you a decent chance. Try and become involved more in your current extra curriculars; quality not quantity! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Does McMaster have a secondary application for applying to Engineering?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ninetyfour wrote
Does McMaster have a secondary application for applying to Engineering?

If by secondary you mean supplementary, nope. Its purely based off of your grades.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Haha that is what I meant. Thanks!

Also, I was looking through some of last year's posts and saw that some people were accepted as early as January. What marks does McMaster look at for an acceptance this early (i.e how do they calculate your Top 6 average)? I currently have Gr.12 Chemistry, Advanced Functions and Physics finished, and the rest won't be finished by that time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IneedHalp IneedHalp
they look at your final avg for free choice and it has to be 90+

Last year, mcmaster accepted people in january/february, and uoft/waterloo gave out acceptances during spring break. They only looked at my english, chem, and math mark when they gave them out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0