yconic - McMaster for Accounting
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McMaster for Accounting

A photo of Blistex Blistex
Hey guys

so I've always loved McMaster University.. it's just a university that I feel is right for ME.

I do realize that DeGroote is just working its way up in terms of reputation, but do you think I can get a placement in one of the big four in accounting?

McMaster Does offer internship in third year and KPMG and Deloitte do post some jobs there as well.

What do you think? My plan is going to a university where I can live on res and commute at the same time ( to save money ).
I do know people who become CA's and attended DeGroote

Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

bump
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Blistex wrote
Hey guys

so I've always loved McMaster University.. it's just a university that I feel is right for ME.

I do realize that DeGroote is just working its way up in terms of reputation, but do you think I can get a placement in one of the big four in accounting?

McMaster Does offer internship in third year and KPMG and Deloitte do post some jobs there as well.

What do you think? My plan is going to a university where I can live on res and commute at the same time ( to save money ).
I do know people who become CA's and attended DeGroote

It's entirely possible. Don't let people discourage you by saying that you can only get a job from one of the big 4 at Schulich or a more prestigious school. If you work hard, and dedicate yourself towards getting a good job and your CA, there's a very good chance you'll get a good job (migh not necessarily be from one of the big4, but there will be an opening if you put the effort in I'm sure).

Good luck.

Oh, and what do you mean my live on res and commute?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey thanks for the reply
and for sure, I don't listen to the people who tell me that I won't go anywhere with DeGroote.

And what I meant was, living on res first year and then commuting the years after that ( I live on the border of Mississauga/Brampton)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Blistex wrote
Hey thanks for the reply
and for sure, I don't listen to the people who tell me that I won't go anywhere with DeGroote.

And what I meant was, living on res first year and then commuting the years after that ( I live on the border of Mississauga/Brampton)

It is fully accredited by ICAO, and there are only 8 schools fully-accredited by ICAO, so it can't be worse than 8th best, right? :cheers: (and I would guess it's better than 8th)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of maddie_271 maddie_271
I have applied for the McMaster business program (undergrad). I haven't gone there so I may be way off but from what I've heard they're the most innovative program, everyone I've talked to LOVED it, their scores on the exit exam are higher than other programs (such as queens), it's a great campus location (like a little community), and the teachers are AWESOME. I've heard that the cut-off is 83-84 for the undergrad. I have above a 92 and it's Feb and I haven't been accepted yet :( They don't start that stuff until later though (so I've heard). Another point is that McMaster has the best co-op program running (for business). They allow students to work for 2 terms straight which is long enough to get to know a business and start to get a real idea about what the work world will REALLY be like. It's nothing like those 4-month stints, McMaster=real-life preparation!

The majority of students major in finance/accounting so it's definitely becoming the school's specialty. You can skip the CA enterance exam if you take a few extra classes too which is great!

I have heard that the program is very math-intensive so you better like numbers :p They DO accept repeated classes as a part of your final average. Take as many business courses as you can! Accounting, economics, international, ecommerce, english, management, law, calc, data, functions. All that they can do is help you and make the transition smoother
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Did you leave this post on EVERY thread related to Mac Bcom?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of daniaasim99 daniaasim99
im currently gettign a 70% avg in advance funtion..would u say its good enuff for the business program at mac... and i really wanan get into accountingg
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote
Did you leave this post on EVERY thread related to Mac Bcom?

yup :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nithl Nithl
Hey! I applied to Degroote for business too - plan on majoring in accounting. Would I have a chance at getting in with an 84 average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prefontaine prefontaine
hey maddie_271 stop acting as a Mac represenative. Considering you "haven't gone there and might be way off", you seem to understand the program waaaay to well. If you honestly had a 92% you wouldn't be going to Mac anyway. I witnessed this same form of advertising from your school on another forum. Don't bring it here.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru

@maddie_271 wrote
Another point is that McMaster has the best co-op program running (for business).

not trueeee!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@prefontaine wrote
hey maddie_271 stop acting as a Mac represenative. Considering you "haven't gone there and might be way off", you seem to understand the program waaaay to well. If you honestly had a 92% you wouldn't be going to Mac anyway. I witnessed this same form of advertising from your school on another forum. Don't bring it here.

Plus claiming that it has a "great co-op program" and that Mac students can skip CA exams of some sort.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru

@g93 wrote

@prefontaine wrote

Plus claiming that it has a "great co-op program" and that Mac students can skip CA exams of some sort.

i agree
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@prefontaine wrote

Well I've talked to a lot of people who are in the program, talked to some professors, and went to fall preview. I just said that so people knew that I am not talking about MY first hand experiences. I was curious to learn the information and thought I'd share my findings for others who were curious too! :) I'm by no means saying that McMaster has the best program for everybody. Some business schools are much more competitive to get into and I realize that.

And yes, I have a 93.5% average (exactly) for my top 6 grade 12 credits (as of now I have 7 but one is c level so I didn't include it) and I plan to upgrade that this semester with the 3 classes that I have. McMaster is my first chice and I have already accepted an offer from them.

ps this is the only forum I'm on so that mush have been another student who also thought that mcmaster was great :p haha. I'm not trying to fight, just share info :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AZK AZK
I just got accepted!
Was this helpful? Yes 0