yconic - McMaster Health Science Acceptances?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McMaster Health Science Acceptances?

A photo of pulse pulse
Hi, I had applied to McMaster Health Science I, and I was wondering if anyone has been accepted as yet? I have been accepted everywhere else that I applied to, and now I am a little nervous.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
66 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
If you're from Ontario, don't worry. Acceptances for Ontarians don't come till the 1st week of May.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Lexo Lexo
How about for students outside of Ontario, do you know when the acceptances would most likely be sent out?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of geniusindisguise geniusindisguise
I'm pretty sure OPPs have already gotten their acceptances ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512
Yup, or atleast several of us already got them mid-march. I assume there might be a few more going out or they'd have already sent rejection letters.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

andrew ... are you accepting your health sci admission ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I did accept it but I'm still kinda wavering...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

how could you waver? if i get accepted my life will officially be complete..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Lexo Lexo
Well, at least there's no rejection letter for me yet :D Keeping optimistic here.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@geniusindisguise wrote

Because I'm not sure if I want med school or pharmacy. While health sci is perfect for med school, I'm having a little trouble working the pharmacy prereqs into the course in a timely manner.

I also might consider CAP over Health Sci, given the opportunity.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of selly3PO selly3PO

@andrewk512 wrote
I did accept it but I'm still kinda wavering...

Just wondering, if you didn't get accepted to MAC and had to choose between Queen's and McMaster, which would it be?
Also, what do you think of Western's biomed program?
I'm stuck between Queen's and Western in case I don't get into Health Sci, haha
My back up plan ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@andrewk512 wrote

@geniusindisguise wrote

Because I'm not sure if I want med school or pharmacy. While health sci is perfect for med school, I'm having a little trouble working the pharmacy prereqs into the course in a timely manner.

I also might consider CAP over Health Sci, given the opportunity.

What are the pharm prereqs?

I want to be a veterinarian (not a MD) and I was able to work in the vet prereqs within the first 2 years of health sci.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of banga574 banga574
What are OPPs?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of WFerrell3 WFerrell3
how many acceptances are still available for McMaster Health Science?
I have currently a 93% average but I wrote a killer supplementary application and have great EC's, but I'm still quite nervous!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of luckylion luckylion
Assuming about 20 seats are already sold for out of province and international students, there should still be 150-160 seats available for us Ontario students - Correct me if I am guessing wrong. The offers for Ontario students, according to the letter I have received today, will be given out in the first week of May. Good luck to you all! =D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@inthemaking wrote

What are the pharm prereqs?

I want to be a veterinarian (not a MD) and I was able to work in the vet prereqs within the first 2 years of health sci.

The courses required and the credit amounts vary, but the lowest is UoA with 30 units in bio, chem, organic chem, biochem, english, math, and stats. That's the easiest one to get the prereqs for from health sci, cause it doesnt require physics like UBC and UoT. Looking at the biomedical sciences specialization, which is what I had wanted to do anyhow, it seems as though I can get the necessary credits with perhaps taking a course or two in the summer as well.

Have you taken any summer courses before? I don't know much about them. What's your opinion on them?

Just wondering, if you didn't get accepted to MAC and had to choose between Queen's and McMaster, which would it be?
Also, what do you think of Western's biomed program?
I'm stuck between Queen's and Western in case I don't get into Health Sci, haha

You mean CAP?
I'd probably choose Mac, health sci seems like such a great opportunity that would be a shame to pass up on. However, I'm undecided.

My choice to go to uni was rather abrupt and in my rush to meet application deadlines I dismissed Western as a party school with not much to offer. I do regret not giving it a further look. So no, I unfortunately don't know anything about it.

What are OPPs?

An error of Out of Provincers I think...

I have currently a 93% average but I wrote a killer supplementary application and have great EC's, but I'm still quite nervous!!

They don't take ECs into consideration, unless you mentioned them in one of your essays.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Lexo Lexo
So, is McMaster going to keep sending out acceptance and rejection letter until early may?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Those particular prereqs seem pretty doable, you may have to overload or take summer courses though (depending on how fast you need to complete them). I wanted to apply to vet school in 3rd year so I had to complete all my prereqs by the 1st semester of my 3rd year. My prereqs were 2 biological sciences, cell bio, genetics, stats (with a calc prereq), biochem, 2 humanities/social sciences. Mandatory health sci courses fulfilled the cell bio, stats, and biological sciences prereqs; I took biochem and psych courses as electives but had to overload in 2nd year to fit in genetics as an elective. I've never taken summer school in uni but I wish I had for organic chem (rather than taking it during the normal school year), summer school is a lot easier.

I don't know about the biomed specialization specifically but in upper years, you have quite a bit of elective space in health sci (I had 18 units of electives aka 6 courses this year). So if you plan on finishing up 4 years of undergrad prior to applying to pharm (rather than applying in 3rd year), there are plenty of opportunities to satisfy prereqs via electives.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of WFerrell3 WFerrell3

@luckylion wrote
Assuming about 20 seats are already sold for out of province and international students, there should still be 150-160 seats available for us Ontario students - Correct me if I am guessing wrong. The offers for Ontario students, according to the letter I have received today, will be given out in the first week of May. Good luck to you all! =D

Ya i received that letter, as well. Thank you for that information, it makes me feel a tad more confident about this whole process. I wonder how many students from Ontario applied to Mac Health Sci?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sarahq93 sarahq93

@luckylion wrote

I'm an oop. I called and they said they only sent offers to applicants from BC thus far. There's still a good number of students from elsewhere in Canada you'll be competing against.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Meridian Meridian
This link shows the applied and registered stats for MAC from last year. It only breaks down to science, but does show Ontario applicants vs Totals. Ontario makes up approx ~ 87% of total applications and ~ 93% of registered.

http://www.mcmaster.ca/avpira/cudo/20092010/20092010B.html

Either way you slice it 160 spots for ~3500-4500 applicants is pretty intense.

I would be interested to hear afterward how many people that are offered actually accept MAC HealthSci vs going elsewhere. Some tough decisions coming soon folks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Meridian wrote
This link shows the applied and registered stats for MAC from last year. It only breaks down to science, but does show Ontario applicants vs Totals. Ontario makes up approx ~ 87% of total applications and ~ 93% of registered.

http://www.mcmaster.ca/avpira/cudo/20092010/20092010B.html

Either way you slice it 160 spots for ~3500-4500 applicants is pretty intense.

I would be interested to hear afterward how many people that are offered actually accept MAC HealthSci vs going elsewhere. Some tough decisions coming soon folks.

Thanks for the link... =)

I suppose the data for Health Sciences is reflected and included in "Other Degrees" rather than in "Science". If you look at the average admission range under Other Degrees at the bottom of the page, you can see "Percent who received an entering average of 95% + ===> 63.9%"

Wow, I am sure that the Health Sciences at McMaster boasts one of the highest admission averages in Canada.

Less than three weeks remaining to hear a final say from McMaster. Keep fingers get crossed now... =D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nmerwin nmerwin
Hey guys, I've been reading your posts and stuff for a while, I'm an OOP student, living in Dubai.

And, I just got my acceptance to mac health science! They took a really long time and I was getting really worried that so many OOP's had gotten in in March already.

Anyways, I'm gonna go and accept as soon as it appears on OUAC :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@nmerwin wrote
Hey guys, I've been reading your posts and stuff for a while, I'm an OOP student, living in Dubai.

And, I just got my acceptance to mac health science! They took a really long time and I was getting really worried that so many OOP's had gotten in in March already.

Anyways, I'm gonna go and accept as soon as it appears on OUAC :)

Congratulations!!

Wow, you are all the way from Dubai, United Arab Emirates!

I now see that McMaster Health Sciences is known even in the World stage...
If you don't mind, how did you find out about this program, and what made you decide to come and study at McMaster?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 137sc 137sc
Congratulations! Out of curiosity..if you're from Dubai, how come you use OUAC?

Was this helpful? Yes 0