yconic - McMaster Health Science Program-2017 Applicants
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McMaster Health Science Program-2017 Applicants

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey guys, 
I am going into grade 12 in September. I have been doing a lot of soul searching about what kinds of programs and stuff I wish to apply to. One of my top choices is McMaster Health Sciences and I'm sure it is many other peoples top choices as well. Ever since I was young i knew I wanted to do something in the health field, mainly to help other people out. I have always LOVED science, especially biology and chemistry. We can use this discussion page to talk about the program and stuff. 

These are my other top programs:
-Life Sciences at McMaster
-Medical Sciences at Western
-Health Sciences at Western
-Biochemistry at Western 
-Biomedical Science at Waterloo

If anyone was or is in McMaster's Health Science program, I was wondering what do you think makes a successful applicant? How did you decide to enter this program?

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
965 replies

What i find unjust is that you don't necessarily know why you got rejected like for me it was probably my average but then again i wish we could get feedback like on our supp app especially. Who got that candy coated email for those who are rejected? Like really come on. Also people get their supp app written from others or get help to edit and such to maximize chances but i solely wrote my supp app by myself soooo but then again life isn't fair
Was this helpful? Yes 3

Congrats! Do you mind disclosing your average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Believe me, it's not your average that got you in. It's your supp app.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I didnt get accepted i meant as in i got rejected lol my bad i edited it. But yes can all people who got accepted state their average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Around 92.5 average and I got accepted
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Anyone get accepted with an average lower than 92? Also those who got accepted did you submit you supp app well ahead of the due date? Or did some of you even submit it after when it was extended
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Submitted the supp app maybe 2 days before the original due date (i didn't even know it was extended...)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I submitted the day before the original due date at 7pm and my average with midterms is 95.6%
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Did you get in @thread creator?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^yes
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Any OOP acceptances yet? A bunch at my school got rejected but still have a few pending. ??? any hope for us pending folk or no
Was this helpful? Yes 0

OOP, pending
Was this helpful? Yes 0

still pending
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Offers are done, both for IP and OOP. Some oop already got accepted. Offers usually come before rejection (at least that's what happened for IPs) so it is safe to say that those with pending are rejected.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

OOP ACCEPTANCE here I come mcmaster
Was this helpful? Yes 2

105D applicant! Accepted ^-^ No e-mail but it is verified on mosaic with accept/decline offer :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

OOP, also got accepted this morning! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Does anyone know the conditional for IB students? OOP and haven't gotten letters yet
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I think its 36 minimum.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

https://m.me/g/AbZA-2I2TnuAlqmf 
this is the facebook group for BHSc, join if you wish to
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Can someone who is in the chat that anon linked above add everyone who is asking to the accepted chat? Thank you so much!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

add someone OOP who recently said they got accepted but didn't ask to be put in, it means they got put in, its what I did lol
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Accepted with 98% average. OOP 105D. Yesterday at around 10 AM.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

https://yconic.com/discussion/all-premeds-read-this-published-2017/8wtKwfd91UfkyeLaZzmE5plHDTnCzLr3?#

Is this true wtf is isci? 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

McMaster's isci in my opinion is actually a superior program to health sci. Why? Because it's ACTUALLY science. 

http://academiccalendars.romcmaster.ca/preview_program.php?catoid=24&poid=14197&returnto=4569

Not to mention, you have 6 electives in your last two years, and 4 electives in your second year. This is A LOT of electives compared to almost every other program in the faculty of science. What this always you to do is: 
- If you just wanna go to med school and you don't care about actually learning science, you can take all those electives in stupid easy classes and have an easier ride to a high GPA

- If you actually like science and have the confidence to take some upper year science courses, you can specialize in physics, chem, bio (I think), or biochem ... (and others).

Another good thing about the program is that you will get a ton of possibilities for research or other cool opportunities. And lastly, the professors / staff are very nice. 

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Man i wish i applied to this program i had no clue. Any idea on what the supp app was like? I cant view it on the site
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Accepted with a 37 in IB OOP
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Think this thread should be closed now, good luck to everyone regardless of where we go
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Does anyone know the number of people applying for second year transfer?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

obviously changes every year but its usually 300+ for 20 spots, bear in mind these 300 are extremely keen and try very hard to get in so it's probably just as competitive if not more competitive than first year bhsc
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey everyone, I'm a current grade 12 student at Bayview Secondary School. I've been looking at McMaster's Healthsci Program since grade 9, and really want to get into the program. I got a level 7 on my Math SL IB exam and level 6 on my French SL exam. I think I will have about a 95-97% average when I will apply.  

My high school tends to place a decent number of students into the Mac Healthsci program, but last year there were a lot more than the other years (15 got in). A lot of kids who got in used a consulting company that had current Mac Healthsci students (some who work in admissions!!!) help revise application essays, and I'm not really sure if I want to do that as well. Is it different from having a parent or teacher reading your essays? I really want to get in and I think it will definitely help, but am not sure if I'm allowed to use it. The company is called Base 15 Admissions Consulting, and it seems like everyone who is applying this year is using them to get in since they got so many people in last year. I really think it's cheating, but if half of the accepted students use their service, is it really fair for everyone else who doesn't use them? I'm really at a moral dilemma and would like some help here from anyone else who is applying. Please help!!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey, I am in the program rn! Anyways I think its completely fine getting your work edited (for grammer etc) as long as the content and ideas are yours. But honestly editing isn't too important. Its more about what you write. Best thing to do is always ask your self "Did I prove this?" Give reasonable examples when appropriate.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

This post was deleted