yconic - MCMASTER HEALTH SCIENCES!!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

MCMASTER HEALTH SCIENCES!!

A photo of Lefty07 Lefty07
I'm a grade 11 student from Ontario and I want to apply to McMaster's Health Sciences Program (BHSc) next year. I'm not sure of what exactly goes on in the admissions process so I was hoping you guys could answer some questions for me? :)

1) What kind of average do you need to get in? I know they say it's a 90 to even be considered and I've also heard that after you pass 90ish they use the supplement to decide who gets in.

2) Do they consider COURSE RIGOR? My school has an advanced stream (course code is 4UN) and a regular stream (4U, like the rest of the province). Will the 4UN show up on my transcript and will it matter how hard my classes were? Also, my school is notorious for its tough coursework and teachers and we have a lot of people that go to Mac each year. Will they know about how hard the school is or will I lose to someone who has a 99 average from an easy school? :/ W

3) We have AP courses at my school as well (part of advanced stream) that you can take in grade 12. Should I take them next year or just switch to regular classes and get higher marks? Are AP courses/exam marks considered in ADMISSIONS or just for giving course credit?

4) Are extracurricular activities a factor in admissions? I've founded several service clubs and my guidance counselor said that my activities are good enough to *possibly* get me into a school like Hopkins or an Ivy. Will this help me? Do they ask about this on the supplement?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I'm freaking out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
There are numerous health sci threads on here that will answer your questions quite in depth. But I'll answer them briefly:

1) 90%, after that it's up to the supp app unless a tiebreaker is needed
2) No, course rigor isn't taken into consideration
3) AP/IB doesn't help you get in but I was in IB and it was nice to receive transfer credits for it. Also it helped a lot in transitioning to university (a lot of overlap with 1st year material from IB, and it made me develop good work ethic - I'm in professional school now and to this day the only time I've had to pull all nighters was when I was in IB, learned my lesson from that and developed way better time management skills for uni).
4) Nope, supp app only asks for personal info, 2 essay questions, and contact info for your reference person. No ECs required.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Harmeet23 Harmeet23
Hey i had a quick question okay so when they say 90 is the cutoff they just mean overall average right? Or do they need a 90 per class because right now my physics is around 88-89 but all my other marks are in the high 90s.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Harmeet23 wrote
Hey i had a quick question okay so when they say 90 is the cutoff they just mean overall average right? Or do they need a 90 per class because right now my physics is around 88-89 but all my other marks are in the high 90s.

90% for your top 6 average, so you're fine
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of futuredoc futuredoc

@inthemaking wrote
There are numerous health sci threads on here that will answer your questions quite in depth. But I'll answer them briefly:

3) AP/IB doesn't help you get in but I was in IB and it was nice to receive transfer credits for it. Also it helped a lot in transitioning to university (a lot of overlap with 1st year material from IB, and it made me develop good work ethic - I'm in professional school now and to this day the only time I've had to pull all nighters was when I was in IB, learned my lesson from that and developed way better time management skills for uni).
4) Nope, supp app only asks for personal info, 2 essay questions, and contact info for your reference person. No ECs required.

^3 essay questions :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@futuredoc wrote

@inthemaking wrote

^3 essay questions :)

Oops, thanks for catching my typo!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Lefty07 Lefty07
Ok, thanks everyone!
I'm SO SO SO relieved to know that the cutoff is 90 -- my school is a lot tougher than most other ones here. A 90 at my school is more than 95 at the others in the area.
On that note, does Mac know your school's reputation? We have a lot of kids that go there every year and my calc teacher said that most Ontario universities know the school's caliber and consider it. I want to make sure, though.

Also, do they look at your individual marks or just the 90+ average? I know someone asked this above, but I want to know if it will hurt you if you have something low like an 85 in an important class like advanced functions, even if all of your other marks are 90 and up. Will they hold the weakness against you or is it ONLY the average that counts, not what makes up the average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

They don't take into account your school's rep. Most Ontario universities DON'T take into account what high school you came from (Waterloo is the only one that does, I'm pretty sure).

They only look at your top 6, individual marks don't matter.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lesson1 lesson1
Hey guys, I was wondering what kind of style they're looking for in the supplementary applications. I'm trying to stay away super formal tones and shameless self-promotion, but would a couple witty comments be a little too casual? Also, do the questions serve to give more information about you/ your experiences, or are they looking more at how you communicate and express ideas? (Style over content, or vice versa?)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Schen Schen

@lesson1 wrote
Hey guys, I was wondering what kind of style they're looking for in the supplementary applications. I'm trying to stay away super formal tones and shameless self-promotion, but would a couple witty comments be a little too casual? Also, do the questions serve to give more information about you/ your experiences, or are they looking more at how you communicate and express ideas? (Style over content, or vice versa?)

What style do you think represents you the most?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of futuredoc futuredoc

@lesson1 wrote

I highly doubt they would mind some humour...the health sci staff are chill like that, and they're gonna be reading a looooot of supp apps, so I can imagine they would enjoy some wittiness in there.

Don't quote me on this, it's just what I'm guessing from what I know/have seen of the health sci staff, but I don't know if they are more strict when marking supp apps.

Bottom line, you want your personality to shine through, so if you are generally a humourous person, I don't see any harm in adding in some humour. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0