yconic - McMaster Health Sciences Thread 2016
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McMaster Health Sciences Thread 2016

Hi Guys! Has anyone started their Supp App yet? What do you guys think about the questions this year?
Was this helpful? Yes 3
4256 replies

I started!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

How do you feel about the questions? :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Not too bad! Just sorta vague, but I guess that is the point
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It is so vague though! Like something that is appropriate? I have something controversial in mind which I'm unsure to use or not :l
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You should have seen them last year. One was simply "Why?"
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I've already completed mine. In the middle of editing and re-editing a 1000 times.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Where are you from? :O Like are you an international student?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Omg how? I have the first paragraph and the points for the other ones, but I have 0 time to write anything out
Was this helpful? Yes 0

idk lol I just wanted to get it over with. So I focused a lot of effort on this and less on school work for only a little while.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I have my first draft of the first one (Need to cut it down by alot to fit the max 1500 characters limit)

I have my ideas for the other ones, but the questions are so difficult I am not sure if about my answers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm in grade 11 right now. So excited for you guys, i'll be applying next year
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm starting my first question right now! I have my points for the 2nd and 3rd! the questions are so difficult...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

OMG I KNOW LOL at least we're in this together.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Actually, the questions are easier. It shows a graph and a map.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

^ If you're trying to find a logical explanation you're doing it wrong. I do agree though, very hard.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Can you elaborate when you mean "logical"?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

of course there's more than one correct explanation.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yes... ofc... there is no wrong answer. But if you're trying to be logical, as in, trying to think of it as a real school and real factors that cause lower grades (like drug abuse, different faculty, drop in motivation, ect) That is not creative nor a different answer that will stand out. But do what you want. But I would try to be more creative...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What do you mean you can't write those logical reasons?
Are you supposed to make a magical story or something?
Can you give examples of what would be considered good answer in your standards?
Was this helpful? Yes 3

No I cant because your answer has to be yours and original. You can write logical if you want theres no rule against it
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Does anybody think there will be less applicants this year due to the difficulty/new questions?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

no, i think it should be the same
Was this helpful? Yes 0

probably not more than last year though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I was accepted last year but deferred to take a year off to travel, the questions were definitely more difficult last year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

NO - The graph and the map provide more boundaries for the possible responses. You don't know what you're talking about.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ I personally think its hard. Boundaries are bad. You don't want boundaries. If you can't be creative they won't like it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

If you don't mind me asking, what was your average like?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

mine RN is 96% ish
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Mine last year was 93.6%, I applied again this year and its about a %95 because I upgraded my chemistry mark and my calculus mark.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Lol see this is scaring me because my chemistry mark is a low 90 because of my teacher but the rest of my marks are mid to high ninties so far. Idk if it is worth potentially upgrading this or not because I still have the exam.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Do you think the supp app this year is harder than last year's?
And do you know if grades are as equally important as the supp app?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I think it is. But its different for everyone
no, grades are only used as a tie breaker. If 2 apps get 6/7 then they will take the student with a 97 over 93
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Did you get accepted last year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Did you not make it last time with that mark?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ You serious? You think he would want to upgrade his marks if he got into mac health sci?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I have points for the second question, but I feel like a lot of people are going to have similar answers... && what are you guys' backup if you don't get accepted?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What're your points? I feel like I have similar answers too :( 
And my back up is western med-sci.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

i dont think youre allowed to share points
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You really can't be creative with this kind of question! It's a science program you're applying to, it's supposed to BE LOGICAL
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Exactly, I think that's the tough part about the application this year. But I guess only some of those who can pull it off can get in :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Okay, be logical, but I'm sure if you try to be realistic there's several hundred other students doing the same thing. They already know you're good at science with your 90% marks... you don't need to prove it. You need to prove you're unique and a good fit for the program and that you can really bring something different. OFC you can take my advice with a grain of salt but that's how i view it. If you're not going to try to be unique you're just going to look the same as the other applicants.The left out the information on purpose. They're not trying to see if you can play detective and figure out the most likely answer. They want you to make it up

Im the grade 11 student btw 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well you can be as creative as you want but if your answer doesn't make total sense then creativity does not matter.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

Uhm anyone admitted knows how many fixed slots they have for international kids?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

how can we fit explanations for all 4 schools? in 1500 characters
Was this helpful? Yes 1

This post was deleted

Is it only the first semester marks that count for admission?
When do they access our marks for consideration? (For Ontario)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

For question 2, you know how it says provide 2 explanations? Do you guys think it's two explanations for the results of all 4 schools or just 2 explanations as in explain 1 possibility for 2 schools?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Are the four schools high schools or universities??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

What approach are people taking for the first question? Are you just talking about how great you are or doing something cool to stand out?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I was thinking of writing about extracurricular activities that are significant to me
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

have sum pie
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

What's everyone's top 6 averages
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Eng - around 96~97
math - 100
geography-100
chem, bio, calc - yet to take.

Does anybody know when Mac will come and look at our marks for admission consideration?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Nice marks
I am not sure, but I think it's mid-april when second semester midterms come out? It would be best to call the BHSc office
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Why does it matter
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Grades are now very important to the admissions process. And the timing of grades is apparently to that guy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I've heard that marks don't matter after the 90% cut-off though! Nonetheless, you're right, marks are important!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It's 50-50 starting this year. So marks constitute 50% and your supp app constitutes 50 for admission. I've been to the university fair.
Was this helpful? Yes 3

^Yes
Was this helpful? Yes 1

ooo damn 50-50 idk if that makes it better or worse
is it the same for isci
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

^ Dude I don't like it either but you have to accept what is true. I haven't been to the University fair, but I aksed a Mac rep when they visited my school, and they said its 50-50 each. It was something new to me so I asked again to make it clear for myself and they said your marks count starting this year. Nobody is making this up. If you want to convince yourself that marks don't count after hitting 90, well then go ahead cause I'm gonna believe the Mac representative. It's 50-50.
And how about you answer this question : Why not get the best of the best-students who can both inquire and get outstanding grades? 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

you want the students with the best grades but it does kinda suck bc my school is tougher and known for it while some people can pay for easy grades
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Bio 99 (I'm not EXACTLY sure yet, our biology teacher didn't release a final grade, this was my last grade before the exam)
Functions 100
English 100
Chem, calc, physics, and french are this semester (starts this Monday)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Do they look at your grade 11 or grade 12 marks??? Also is it your top 6 or a specific 6 marks they look at?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It's your grade 12 marks that count. They look at your top 6, an I'm pretty sure they look at the specific grades as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

eng, bio, chem, 1 math, 1 non math/science grade 
and 1 grade that can be anything 

Was this helpful? Yes 0

For question 2, did you guys talk about to separate schools or 2 separate ideas for all 4 schools?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

2 separate ideas, it said to explain the results but i guess you could have done it however 
lol didn't u ask this before 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I want to be accepted so badly but now that they are counting the supp and grades 50-50 I'm not sure I will... Everyone on here has like high nineties while I am at a 93-4.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

i haven't heard anyone say that it's 50-50... proof?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I really hope it's not 50-50! :( I don't have nineties either! But there's no harm in trying at least. Let's just try to write an awesome application!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ If it's really not 50-50... you still need at least 90% to get in... do you have that? Cause that's the cut off and its a waste to apply
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ oh yeah, I meant high nineties!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

ohhhh i just read the above... never mind
Was this helpful? Yes 1