yconic - McMaster Health Sciences Thread 2016
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McMaster Health Sciences Thread 2016

Hi Guys! Has anyone started their Supp App yet? What do you guys think about the questions this year?
Was this helpful? Yes 3
4256 replies

Lol just because one got rejected from McMaster Health Science doesn't make them a loser. What kind of logic is that? :p

Does that mean that everyone on Earth is a loser except the couple hundred students at BHSc? Damn....humanity is screwed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I didn't mean loser as in that meaning. I meant it in a literal way. You lost your place in the program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ok, by that logic, Western's Med Sci program, Guelphs Biomed program, Lauriers Health Sci program, McGill, Queens, UofT, as well as EVERY OTHER UNIVERSITY LIFE/HEALTH SCIENCE program in the country are all considered loser programs.
Mac health Sci might be a great program, but it's only one of many. Don't judge someone for asking about another option.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ikr? Lol
Do you know anything about Laurier health science vs McMaster life science?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Laurier Health Sci is a joke. Mac Life sci is much better in that respect
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Lol why is laurier health sci a joke? I know 9 people in the program 3rd and 4th years that got into med schools this year on their 1st try. Don't say crap if you don't know crap.  Smaller programs, easier gpa and better prof interactions is the way to go. McMaster Life science is a program that just kills your gpa and leaves you with no hope for grad school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

LMFAO there's people who get into med school from all types of programs around the world. Don't give me that bs story of "I know people who got into ____ from ____". Just know that when you are attending LAURIER (repeat, LAURIER) health sci, there will be people who's attending mac life sci, then think about mac health sci. Then you fucking realize that there's harvard. Peasant.
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Savage
Was this helpful? Yes 1

I think essentially, the focus here is that you are putting all the emphasis on prestige. Like he/she ^^^ said above, going to Mac science does not guarantee you get into medical school; which is the ultimate goal for many of the students. You basically haven't made an argument except "hahaha, you're in a less prestigious school". You haven't even made a clear statement. All I see are undertones. Now if we were talking about program content and quality, that's an argument. The person above stated that medical schools also put emphasis on GPA average (especially since people are applying from all over the world), which Mac might drive down, then you went and backtracked like a kid
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

I want to take a gap year to travel. Is this possible for this program and if so, when is the best time to request for a deferral?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

ASAP! the faster you let them know, the better your chances are!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Wait there are limits?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You can't be at another school during your deferral period, and you have to accept the offer on OUAC (as a 105) by a certain date. Those are the general, I do not know if there are any more, depending on the case.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@maryanne Do you know approximately how often they accept deferral requests?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

No, Sorry! :( I only know that it is a case by case situation...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Got accepted but I can't open the document on mosaic. Anyone know the conditional average I have to maintain? I'm going to cal them AGAIN tomorrow.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The average you need to keep is an 88 :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Does anyone know if the 90% average required is the overall average or the marks for each subject required?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

your overall top 6 for the program has to be 90%, not each of the subjects
Was this helpful? Yes 2

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

I want to retake a course. Would that affect my chances of getting accepted
Was this helpful? Yes 0

No as long as your top 6 is over 90
Was this helpful? Yes 0

FUCK MAC HEALTH SCI FOR NOT TAKING ME WHO GOT INTO IVY LEAGUE LEL
Was this helpful? Yes 0

y so salty
Was this helpful? Yes 0

So, I should probably let this thread die but we made it so far why quit now. Anyways I wanted to ask if anyone was planning on trying to transfer after first year? TBH I don't really think its worth it going through all that stress again lol. I thinks it'd be better for me just to pour my all into my program and forget about healthsci. But out of curiosity anyone know any statistics on level two transfer? How many students from other uni's get in? Also yeah anyone plan on applying again?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

screw no. start a life at your new university. be happy. forget about health sci.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Honestly, it won't matter to you after your first year; you'll have established friends and a life and you'll probably (hopefully) be enjoying your program so I'd stick with that. Not all 900 something med school spots are given to the Mac Health Sci alumni (there aren't even that many.) So stick with your program if you don't get in Health Sci and enjoy your university years ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Also, I find the questions quite easy this year, they're very open to creativity and allow quite a loose rein. Last year ones were brutal, especially the last one.
Was this helpful? Yes 0