yconic - McMaster, Laurier, or Western (Not Ivey) business?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McMaster, Laurier, or Western (Not Ivey) business?

A photo of soccerpro12 soccerpro12
I got accepted to 3 universities, all for the business program.

1) Western (NOT Ivey)- BMOS
2) McMaster - DeGroote - BComm
3) Laurier - BBA

I would like to know which one has a better reputation both in Canada and abroad - which one would get me the job in the U.S for example, McMaster, Laurier, or Western (again, not Ivey)? Also which one is more recognized here?

I'm also interested in doing coop at Laurier or internship at McMaster. Pros and cons of each would be helpful.

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
For just their reputation and academics...

Laurier>McMaster>Western

Mind you I'm still choosing McMaster over the other 2 (unless Ivey/Queen's accepts me)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of soccerpro12 soccerpro12

@Username81 wrote
For just their reputation and academics...

Laurier>McMaster>Western

Mind you I'm still choosing McMaster over the other 2 (unless Ivey/Queen's accepts me)

Is this reputation in Canada or abroad? Because although Laurier may be known here for its BBA program, it's a small school and doesn't even appear on many university ranking websites while McMaster does - and is one of Canada's best universities overall. So in other countries, McMaster may look like the better choice no?

And why are you choosing McMaster over the other two?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

EDIT: Yeah my rankings were for Canada.

Yes true it is quite small. On an international scale I'm not too sure how any would rank. Western may be OK specifically because employers may think of Ivey and then give you a second look. McMaster does have a good rep, but they're also a very science and math orientated school...perhaps that's why they're known pretty well? Regardless their business school is very underrated so I think it would be known a bit on an international scale. Laurier....I'm not too sure how they're viewed internationally. Like you said they're quite small so that's a valid point. But honestly I'm not too sure about international reputations (as I plan on staying in Canada).

I'm choosing McMaster over BMOS and Laurier because first and foremost, I love their campus. Was very disappointed by Laurier's (but hey, one man's junk is another man's treasure right?). Also I do believe McMaster is very underrated. Their live trading floor is so sick too (seeing as stocks semi-interest me that helps). I also kind of like Hamilton as a city (at least the McMaster vicinity). So yeah that's why. Mind you lots of people would prefer Laurier and the city of Waterloo over this. Same goes for London and Western.

But if Queen's/Ivey accepts me...I'm obviously going to one of those.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Laurier>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mac>>>>Western
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
1)Laurier
2)McMaster
3)Western
Was this helpful? Yes 0