yconic - McMaster Life Sci
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McMaster Life Sci

A photo of caronchen caronchen
Hi guys, I was wondering if anybody in the McMaster Life Sci program could tell me if I might have a shot of getting into the program with these kinds of marks:

Advanced Functions: 84
Chemistry: 78
Biology: 91
Art: 91
History: 87
English: 86

My overall average comes to 86%, and to me, it seems like the chances of getting into the program are kind of slim... especially with my low chemistry mark. What do you guys think?

Any help is much appreciated. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of confused18 confused18
Life Sci actually doesn't look at your chem mark. They look at English, Bio 12, and Advanced functions. The three other U/M courses can be anything if you took other gr 12 courses :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aquarius aquarius
[quote=confused18]Life Sci actually doesn't look at your chem mark. They look at English, Bio 12, and Advanced functions. The three other U/M courses can be anything if you took other gr 12 courses :)[/quote

Lifescience at Macmaster will look at Chemistry marks if you do not have Physics or Calculus. Basically your top 6 is English,Biology, Calculus or Advanced Functions, Chemistry,Physics,Calculus or AF plus any other 2 Uor M courses.

I remember reading some people getting in with 86 for early admission last year but in the second round admission 88 seems to be the cut off for last year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of particle particle
I am at Mac, did life sci first year. Your marks would be considered competitive, but as always try to get them higher. Cut-offs vary year to year so no one really knows, since this is based on the applicants that year.

Good luck! PM me if you have any questions about Mac, life sci or about university life in general.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TegtheCoolDude TegtheCoolDude
I went to a field trip to McMaster in December and was talking to someone in the admissions office and she said that the program is getting really competitive and they are expecting the average cutoff this year to be around 90. I personally don't believe it, but what can you say? The info comes from an official Mac source :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@TegtheCoolDude wrote
I went to a field trip to McMaster in December and was talking to someone in the admissions office and she said that the program is getting really competitive and they are expecting the average cutoff this year to be around 90. I personally don't believe it, but what can you say? The info comes from an official Mac source :S

My friends at Mac have said the same thing. Overrated though. Everyone's aiming for grad school and doesn't want to do research.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of willeh willeh

@Respects wrote

@TegtheCoolDude wrote

My friends at Mac have said the same thing. Overrated though. Everyone's aiming for grad school and doesn't want to do research.

Isn't research what grad school is all about? And wouldn't some research experience help applying to grad schools?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
What I meant is that nobody wants to go into research after undergrad. Everyone I know wants to get into medical school and for that gpa is key. Undergrad science programs are relatively the same curricular wise.
Was this helpful? Yes 0