yconic - mcmaster life science acceptance questions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

mcmaster life science acceptance questions

A photo of flamerx3 flamerx3
hey im wondering if calculus is specifically looked at when applying to mcmaster life sciences, my mark isnt that great (low 70s)

and i was wondering about other people who have gotten into mcmaster, and what average they got accepted in with
really stressing about everything

also wondering if i redid calculus next semester, which would mcmaster have a preference over
a completed calculus mark or a midterm recompleted calculus mark :/
help!

thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Ontario Secondary School Prerequisites
ENG4U; SBI4U; one of MHF4U, MCV4U; one of MHF4U, MCV4U, SCH4U, SPH4U.

MCV4U isn't specifically asked for, just worry about getting at least a decent mark in it like anywhere from a 75% to an 80% if you decide to take it. By taking MCV4U you won't be required to take (MATH 1F03: Introduction to Calculus and Analytic Geometry) in Level 1 of Life Sciences and can directly take MATH 1A03: Calculus for Science or MATH 1LS3: Calculus for the Life Sciences I.

McMaster is good because they have math courses for people who haven't taken specific credits within secondary school so they'll have equivalent courses to MHF4U and MCV4U, remember MHF4U is required depending on which program you're in and if you don't have it but it's listed as a recommended course they'll make you take MATH 1K03: Advanced Functions & Introductory Calculus for Humanities and the Social Sciences before you take MATH 1F03: Introduction to Calculus and Analytic Geometry or MATH 1M03: Calculus for Business, Humanities and the Social Sciences.

Since you'll be in Life Sciences the Maths which you'll need to satisfy the requirement are either:
MATH 1F03: Introduction to Calculus and Analytic Geometry (If you don't have MCV4U)
Once you complete that you'll take either MATH 1A03: Calculus for Science I or MATH: 1LS3 Calculus for the Life Sciences I.

Like I have stated above since Calculus isn't a required course for admission you shouldn't worry about your mark because as long as it's in the 70s & 80s range you'll be fine. Just make sure your other marks are really good to be safe :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of flamerx3 flamerx3
so if i end up getting an 87 top6 average do you think id have a good chance to get in?
really stressing LOL..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Admission average is in the high 80s, so with an 87% average I think you'd have a good chance. If you had an average below 85% then probably not because there are students with better marks and remember there is an enrollment limit on the Life Sciences program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of danselikeme danselikeme
no you'll be fine. 87% is what alot of my friends had who are in mac at life sci right now.
im in math and stats so (biased of course) math is pretty easy, but alot of my friends arent that good at math and theyre finding math easy in university. mac has alot of equivalent math courses to calculus and even a few of my courses this year were basically grade 12 math. you'll be fine

and if its life sci, you reallly only need one or two math first year, other than that, mostly sciences. i wouldnt worry.
Was this helpful? Yes 0