yconic - McMaster Life Science Admissions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McMaster Life Science Admissions

A photo of Saravanabavan Saravanabavan
Hey Everyone,

I know this has been asked countless times! and I'm really sorry if it gets redundant, but I have exactly an 86% average, on the dot! I was just wondering what are my chances of getting into McMaster Life Science? A lot of my friends got acceptances yesterday, and I'm really stressed out :(. Are they done sending out invitations?

Thanks !
Was this helpful? Yes 0
25 replies

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456
I don't want to come across as mean, but I'm not sure if you have a good shot. Sorry hun :(.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of HeyHiHello HeyHiHello
i have an 86 too and i'm worried :O i hope we both get in
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Saravanabavan Saravanabavan
Really? So I have a bad chance :(?

Because, I have heard that students got in with 85's last year. I'm not sure what to think anymore =\

:(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1
I am on an 85.3% here. My friend in his fifth year this year got accepted with an 85.5%...so I am like 0.2% off. Crossing my fingers here. And in the presentation this year the rep said the cut off for fall 2011 in 83-86% so last years 87 was unusually high.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hapmie hapmie
You have a shot. I got in with a 90+ average but that was for early admission so you'll probably receive an acceptance letter in mid-may or something.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chenshirley chenshirley
Hello!
I am still waiting for Mac's acceptance letter... But midterms only came out today so I am hopin the letters come soon...
95 average this midterm woohoo ! Overall a 90.5% average...
Is there a certain date where the last wave will be sent out?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Simplicity Simplicity
i got in 2 months ago with an 89 1st sem avg and 91 gr 11 average, and this was for one of the earlier rounds of offers. I'm sure with an 86 you stand a chance for the life science program for the final round of offers depending on availability but dont quote me on it. Make sure your average by the end doesn't fall below 84%, because thats the average they outlined in the acceptance package that needs to be maintained to remain in the program
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bluesharpies Bluesharpies
Yes, they are sending out acceptances. I got mine earlier today.

If you were curious, my gr.11 average was an 89.2, my first semester top 6 (well, 5 at the time) sat at an 87.4, and my top 6 with the most recent midterms is at an 91.6 (yes, I had a tough first semester...)

As for yourself, an 86% is dangerous territory. Sit tight, keep your fingers crossed, and keep working hard.
Good luck! c:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I was accepted to McMaster for Life Sciences two years ago with an average of 85. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Good luck! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bimbim1230 bimbim1230
Good luck :)
I just got accepted days ago and my average was a 91%. A lot of people haven't got their's yet so I suggest you to not be too worried... but do prepare for the worst. 86% is just around the cut-off so it might depend a lot on your science marks.

Anyways best wishes :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of megan16 megan16
I got accepted to both life sci & kin friday with a first term top 6 of 84.5 and second of 88 (which I honestly dont know if they counted, it was only a day after they were up on ouac). So you probably do have a good chance :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1
HOW ARE YOU GUYS GETTING ACCEPTED WITH 87S AND 88S. I emailed MAC and asked for the cut off.
--------------------------------
Hi there,
Thank you for the email. I am unsure when you received this information, but the current cut-off average to the Life Sciences program is 88%, where as last year was 87%. The faculty will review this average in the next week or so and determine whether they wish to make any adjustment.
Candy
Student R
--------------------------------

88 CUTOFF? how does that make any sense if a friend of mine got in with final average (5th year) off 85.6? and people on this forum are getting in with 87s and 88s..do you guys think this is the cut off based on first semester addmission averages? I am hoping with all the offers kids will accept, the cut off with drop..how is this even possible?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KOBEstyll KOBEstyll
^ thats bs... cut off is 85, it says on the website mid to high 80s.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of letitsnow letitsnow
i got an early acceptance with my 84.6% gr 11 marks which is ridiculous so i think you guys have a shot
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of futuredoc futuredoc

@safarhealthsci1 wrote

88 CUTOFF? how does that make any sense if a friend of mine got in with final average (5th year) off 85.6? and people on this forum are getting in with 87s and 88s..do you guys think this is the cut off based on first semester addmission averages? I am hoping with all the offers kids will accept, the cut off with drop..how is this even possible?

Yeah that's probably why...there's a page on their site that says before midterms are recieved, acceptances only go out to people above the cut-off, and after mid-terms they accept people at and above the cut-off.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca/liaison/?page_id=5

I got an early acceptance for this program, and in the letter they sent, they said I have to maintain an 84% average, so I'm guessing that's the cut-off this year
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chenshirley chenshirley
I currently have a 91% with midterms.. and I still don't have an offer.

I think I altered my "subject of interest" area of my OUAC application 3 months ago or so.. I forgot if I did. Would this affect my offer? :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 04matt04 04matt04
My friend just got accepted with his midterm marks. And in regards to the admission average, I'm almost positive that it is around 88%. It is above the required minimum average to keep (84%), even though that sounds counter-intuitive. Because if the cutoff was set at 84% instead of 88, the amount of people that would fall under the required minimum average by June will be very large - which would screw up their admissions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of zohavance zohavance
I have an average of 87.5% and I am still waiting on the acceptance for both, Life Science and Kinesiology at McMaster. Can anyone help me out and tell me if i have a shot at getting in? Thank you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Galactical Galactical
i was accepted in like march...but i applied to the wrong program...i figured it out too late that the real pre-med prestigious program i wanted to get apply to was Health sci...too late did i realize that...screw mcmaster, they should change the damn name from "health"... it makes it sound like the nutrition exercise science crap you learn in phys ed. gah...im still so depressed, whatever, im gonna try to apply from university
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bluesharpies Bluesharpies

@Galactical wrote
i was accepted in like march...but i applied to the wrong program...i figured it out too late that the real pre-med prestigious program i wanted to get apply to was Health sci...too late did i realize that...screw mcmaster, they should change the damn name from "health"... it makes it sound like the nutrition exercise science crap you learn in phys ed. gah...im still so depressed, whatever, im gonna try to apply from university

Well, excuse you for not doing some research, my friend.

Yes, perhaps it's not a "typical" Health Sci program such as one at say, Western, but spending even 5 minutes on Google would've shown you the light, for God's sake! ;<

The health or health care industry is a fairly broad spectrum anyway - really, one can still define it as Health Sciences perfectly accurately, just with a different emphasis.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

i know i know it is all my fault..but the fact that all other universities call"pre-med" type programs like this "life science" makes you sort of assume things
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
You half-@ssed a pretty big life decision... and you want to become a doctor?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

shut up lol, i can stil try transferring to it from univ...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy

@Galactical wrote
shut up lol, i can stil try transferring to it from univ...

Good luck with that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0