yconic - McMaster Life Science
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McMaster Life Science

A photo of Scotchtaper Scotchtaper
Hey, I know that this has been posted quite frequently already, but the from what i've heard the last wave of Life Science offers have gone out. I have not recieved a offer even though my top 6 are:

English- 81
A.Function- 86
Biology- 87
Chemistry- 90
D.Management- 91
Economics- 92
Which averages out to 87.8%

Should I still have hope for an offer soon?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Did you receive an acceptance?
Mine's roughly around your average, and I got accepted last Friday!

Good luck! and Congrats if you got accepted!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Sukeera Sukeera
hi. i've got admission to life sciences at mac. if there are any students out there currently in life sciences, preferably year 2-4, can you please post some information about marking style, strategies, and number of assignments, weightages, and anything that would be useful to prospective students that want to do life sciences at mac? thank you:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of particle particle
I just finished my first year at McMaster in Life Science. I don't regret choosing mac. When I visited the campus for the first time I felt it was nice and close knit and it turned out it was that way. About everyone you counter is going to be nice, so no worries there. Be sure to join a club!

In terms of academic work... it's going to be very different from high school. I think the best thing you can do is be open-minded and embrace the new environment and teaching style. To do well, all you really have to do is keep up with the work and ask questions. This sounds simple but it will hit you hard when midterms and exams come around where suddenly you don't understand something you're suppose to. Btw, you should learn what 'keeping up with the work' means. It's probably different for everyone, but for me it was reading relevant chapters in the textbook, reviewing lecture notes and doing tons of practice questions.

Marking style... well because there are so many students in your class its basically going to be multiple choice. 90% of your tests are going to be like that, with the except of math and some of bio. Weighting of the tests/assignments are very different from high school. In high school I had lots and lots of tests, so each wasn't weighted as much. But now you're just going to be faced with some quizzes that are worth little (but something), and your final mark is heavily based on midterm tests and exam. So all in all, lots of multiple choice tests in first year.

I loved all my professors, I respected them very much as teachers and I learned to not be afraid of them. I don't think I can name a professor in one of my classes that were terrible. Though, a lot of people find physics 1B03 to be a nightmare and end up not liking the professor.

The only real projects you are going to have as a life sci student is in bio and psych. Bio 1M03, you have a group PBL (problem-based learning) project and psych 1XX3 (if you take it) you have a group essay. I didn't take psych 1XX3 since you didn't have to and I wasn't that good at psych, so I took an environmental science course instead.

I could talk about a lot more, but for the most part just BE EXCITED! That's what got me through my first term and from that I realized what I had to do to become successful in university.

I should also note that after you finish your first year you need to apply to level II programs, which wasn't something I was too serious about after I finished high school. But I think you should spend this summer looking at them and deciding on your top 4 choices and on top of that, some pathways you want to take to lead you into your career. If you're having trouble with this sort of thing mac has great student services, there's even one just for science (Science Career and Coooperative Education office).

If you guys have questions, you can PM me and I will try my best to answer you. You can post here too if you'd like.

Cheers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of firebrace firebrace

@particle wrote
I just finished my first year at McMaster in Life Science. I don't regret choosing mac. When I visited the campus for the first time I felt it was nice and close knit and it turned out it was that way. About everyone you counter is going to be nice, so no worries there. Be sure to join a club!

In terms of academic work... it's going to be very different from high school. I think the best thing you can do is be open-minded and embrace the new environment and teaching style. To do well, all you really have to do is keep up with the work and ask questions. This sounds simple but it will hit you hard when midterms and exams come around where suddenly you don't understand something you're suppose to. Btw, you should learn what 'keeping up with the work' means. It's probably different for everyone, but for me it was reading relevant chapters in the textbook, reviewing lecture notes and doing tons of practice questions.

Marking style... well because there are so many students in your class its basically going to be multiple choice. 90% of your tests are going to be like that, with the except of math and some of bio. Weighting of the tests/assignments are very different from high school. In high school I had lots and lots of tests, so each wasn't weighted as much. But now you're just going to be faced with some quizzes that are worth little (but something), and your final mark is heavily based on midterm tests and exam. So all in all, lots of multiple choice tests in first year.

I loved all my professors, I respected them very much as teachers and I learned to not be afraid of them. I don't think I can name a professor in one of my classes that were terrible. Though, a lot of people find physics 1B03 to be a nightmare and end up not liking the professor.

The only real projects you are going to have as a life sci student is in bio and psych. Bio 1M03, you have a group PBL (problem-based learning) project and psych 1XX3 (if you take it) you have a group essay. I didn't take psych 1XX3 since you didn't have to and I wasn't that good at psych, so I took an environmental science course instead.

I could talk about a lot more, but for the most part just BE EXCITED! That's what got me through my first term and from that I realized what I had to do to become successful in university.

I should also note that after you finish your first year you need to apply to level II programs, which wasn't something I was too serious about after I finished high school. But I think you should spend this summer looking at them and deciding on your top 4 choices and on top of that, some pathways you want to take to lead you into your career. If you're having trouble with this sort of thing mac has great student services, there's even one just for science (Science Career and Coooperative Education office).

If you guys have questions, you can PM me and I will try my best to answer you. You can post here too if you'd like.

Cheers.

What was your schedule like first year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

My schedule wasn't too packed. It varied throughout the week. Sometimes I'd have 5 lectures in a row and the next day I'd only have two lectures. But with 5 courses you can expect 3 lectures a week from all of them, some may have tutorials, some may have labs be it every week or every other week. I should mention lectures are only 50 minutes along, and same goes for most tutorials in life science. Your labs, like for chemistry and biology, are 3 hours long but every other week. I opted for no evening classes so I could study then.

I should also mention www.macinsiders.com . It's a student run forum for mac. A lot of prospective students go there to ask questions, get the best tips, etc. There will be plenty of people in life science to help you there and you get an opinion from everyone. I was hoping to upload my schedule, but I seemed to have lost them all, someone there probably still has theirs from first year and could let you take a look at it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of firebrace firebrace

@particle wrote
My schedule wasn't too packed. It varied throughout the week. Sometimes I'd have 5 lectures in a row and the next day I'd only have two lectures. But with 5 courses you can expect 3 lectures a week from all of them, some may have tutorials, some may have labs be it every week or every other week. I should mention lectures are only 50 minutes along, and same goes for most tutorials in life science. Your labs, like for chemistry and biology, are 3 hours long but every other week. I opted for no evening classes so I could study then.

I should also mention www.macinsiders.com . It's a student run forum for mac. A lot of prospective students go there to ask questions, get the best tips, etc. There will be plenty of people in life science to help you there and you get an opinion from everyone. I was hoping to upload my schedule, but I seemed to have lost them all, someone there probably still has theirs from first year and could let you take a look at it.

Thanks for the response. Also how difficult is life sciences at McMaster? Did your average in first year drop a lot compared to high school? Finally, do you have a decent amount of spare time?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@firebrace wrote

Thanks for the response. Also how difficult is life sciences at McMaster? Did your average in first year drop a lot compared to high school? Finally, do you have a decent amount of spare time?

I'm start to start of by saying any program at any university is going to take a decent amount of work to achieve successful results, and life science at mac is exception. Though because you will be studying a science program, you will need to keep on top of things and time manage. The courses you will encounter first year are not too difficult. Chemistry will be familiar, physics and bio too. Math may be half review, half new, or mostly new depending on which course you take. Psychology was entirely new for me since I hadn't taken any in high school. It's hard to say how difficult it was, since that depends on how good you are with the subjects and topics and studying in general. Just know that it's not impossible to do well.

In terms of marks, my marks generally went up. Again, this is going to depend on how well you have been preparing in high school. It's an even playing field now, so now can you really see how well you've been doing compared to many other Ontario students. Some students maybe going in 90%+ and drop, simply because their high school allowed them easy marks instead of rigorously preparing them well.

Free time was actually pretty good. In first year life science, you aren't too busy. I was able to join a once a week fencing class, once a week inter-mural, I became apart of the executive team for a cultural club, I could go out to eat with my friends on a Friday. I've seen a lot of people get involved with stuff who are in life science, so that should be no problem. I also know people who go home (1 hour away) almost every weekend.

Keep the questions coming!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of gebraroest gebraroest
I just got my admission email, you should get yours soon if not now
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GaganS GaganS

@stephil wrote

Did you do any extra-curricular activities? And does McMaster look at them?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GaganS GaganS

@stephil wrote

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GaganS GaganS

@stephil wrote

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
don't you need calculus for life sci?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@GaganS wrote

I did extra-curriculars but I don't remember telling mac about them. Just applied on OUAC.

@ don't you need calculus for life sci?:

Nope, here are the requirements:

Completion of High School Diploma plus;

Grade 12 U/M requirements - 6 courses in total, including:

• English (ENG4U)
• One of: Advanced Functions (MHF4U), Calculus & Vectors (MCV4U)
• Biology (SBI4U)
• One of: Advanced Functions (MHF4U), Calculus & Vectors (MCV4U), Chemistry (SCH4U), Physics (SPH4U)
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of CandyO CandyO
my friend got rejected by Mac life sci and she had an 87.something
and she that they stated on the letter that their cutoff was an 88%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of wormsofsilk wormsofsilk
does anyone know how many people roughly got accepted to mcmaster life science...i am currently on reconsideration if there is room left.
Was this helpful? Yes 0