yconic - McMaster or Waterloo?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McMaster or Waterloo?

A photo of Muirhead11 Muirhead11
I am trying to decide between Mechanical Engineering at Waterloo, and Engineering I at McMaster. I know Waterloo is a much better school and optimal for my future as an engineer, but I really do not want to spend the next 4 or more years of my life with a bunch of loser asian nerds who get a boner every time they touch a calculator. So my question is... is the difference between McMaster's recognition and Waterloo's recognition all that significant?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of chatmike chatmike
I'm actually in the same situation minus the slightly politically incorrect reasoning: i don't know if i'm confident in my waterloo engineering choice, and mcmaster has general first year...

To be honest though mr OP, if you already have the stigma you won't enjoy Waterloo, don't go, simple as that. It may have a better program, but you'll psyche yourself out from having fun and that'll screw you over in the long run when you hate your school and everyone in it. go to mac
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of danselikeme danselikeme
it doenst matter where you get your degree- an engineering degree is an engineering degree.
go to mac if you are not sure what type yet since they do have the general first year program
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
There are plenty of interesting folk in UW. I know a stoner Aussie who's currently in their math programme, so I'm pretty sure they aren't all losers.

Of course, I'm leaning towards Mac mostly due to the atmosphere and the campus itself, as well as the general friendliness of the people there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Muirhead11 wrote
I am trying to decide between Mechanical Engineering at Waterloo, and Engineering I at McMaster. I know Waterloo is a much better school and optimal for my future as an engineer, but I really do not want to spend the next 4 or more years of my life with a bunch of loser asian nerds who get a boner every time they touch a calculator. So my question is... is the difference between McMaster's recognition and Waterloo's recognition all that significant?

I'm not sure if anyone at Waterloo wants you to come with that kind of egotistic attitude. Keep an open mind, not all Asians are introverted and not all people at Engineering at UW are Asians. Actually, the ratio of Asians in Eng is not nearly as high as you think it is.
If you feel you'd enjoy McMaster more, by all means go there. But don't judge UW so harshly by the stereotypes you're told. I thought both McMaster and Waterloo's students were very friendly and enthusiastic.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@danselikeme wrote
it doenst matter where you get your degree- an engineering degree is an engineering degree.
go to mac if you are not sure what type yet since they do have the general first year program

+1

Yeah go to mac. The reason why waterloo is looked upon so favorably is because of its coop. Mcmaster has coop too so i wouldnt worry about that then....the only issue i see with mac is that first year your competing with your peers to get into your program.

I dont know if you applied to queens but if accepted there if i were you i would go there just because your guranteed entry into the program you want second year. And id hate to break it to you but in engineering generally speaking there are a fair number of orientals in any given program. I know queens is considered a very white school dont know about mac.

But honestly Asians are cool people. Not all of them are the stereotype you describe (duh!). But on a side note i kinda see what your saying... when i checked out waterloo as a white kid it kinda scared me to be one of the only white kids there...but then after about ten minutes i no longer cared
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted