yconic - McMaster or Western Health Sciences
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McMaster or Western Health Sciences

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I am deciding between the Health Sciences programs at McMaster and Western. I've also been accepted for the Scholar's Electives program at Western, and I was chosen as a President's Scholarship recipient there as well. I'm having a very hard time deciding between the two. I've heard a lot of great information about both programs.

The prospect of working with a professor on research topics through the Scholar's Electives program really interests me, and I was wondering if there is something comparable at Mac. I'm also interested in any input/suggestions or comments from people who have been in the programs. Thanks so much! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of illusive illusive
Health Sciences at uwo and mac are two VERY, VERY different programs. I don't think it's really rational to compare such different programs. Western's health sciences is more like a social science - you focus on health policies and working in administration. Whereas mac's health science program actually provides the tools necessary to be a successful medical doctor. Mac's health science program is far more prestigious than western's. Western's biomed program is probably more comparable to mac's health science program than western's health science program. Health science at western is considered a social science by most students - it doesn't really focus on medical studies, but more the history and policies of the health industry; two very different things.

I would say Mac Health Sciences is way more suitable if you're planning on going to medical school. It'll be really hard to get into medical school if you graduate from UWO's health sciences program versus mac's.

Needless to say, I love Western, don't get me wrong. But these two programs are just incomparable - Mac's health science program is tenfold better than western's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of beyondsection17 beyondsection17
You're choosing between two COMPLETELY different programs.

If you're intending on going to med school, you would have to be a fool to turn down Mac BHSc. Don't do that to yourself.

Go to Mac. And this is coming from a Western BHSc student - I have no intentions of going to med school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Virtually everyone in health sci will have done research with a prof by their 3rd year because we have to take Inquiry Project in 3rd year. Many students continue on with their research for their 4th year thesis. Some people also seek out research opportunities prior to 3rd year, I have friends that started at their current research positions in 1st year and are now so established within their department that they are research coordinators/authoring papers.

And as the other posters said, Mac health sci is more science-based (we take chem, cell bio, anat&phys etc) whereas Western health sci appears to be more social science-based. We still have to take a health policy course at Mac but the focus isn't solely on the social aspects of health.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew

@illusive wrote
I would say Mac Health Sciences is way more suitable if you're planning on going to medical school. It'll be really hard to get into medical school if you graduate from UWO's health sciences program versus mac's.

He or she knows what they're talking about. Go to Mac Health Sci.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of estatia estatia
If only you were comparing Western BioMed and Mac Health Sci, I would have said 100% western. First, I absolutely love the school and second, you have already made yourself stand out compared to others in your program by getting the scholarship and the SE offer. However, if you were choosing between western and mac health sci, I would have to agree with everyone that posted before me, GO TO MAC.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ahmedk676 ahmedk676
McMaster's Health Sciences program is superior to all others I would say. Definitely go for that program!
Was this helpful? Yes 0