yconic - McMaster Residence?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McMaster Residence?

A photo of roxyv21 roxyv21
Is it possible to get into a suite or apartment style residence if you are a first year student? If so, is there a way I can get a better chance at getting into it, like a survey/questionnaire type thing?

How is the party scene? Is it really loud, or just enough. I'm not one who wants to get trashed all the time, but I do like a good party every now and then!

How strict are the dons/room advisors/whatever you call them? How strict are they on things like alcohol, noise, crowds, etc?

Lastly, what kind of appliances are we allowed to bring?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Yes, most of the people living on rez are 1st year students. I lived in Keyes (the suite style) in my 1st year. You can bring small appliances (coffee maker, kettle, toaster, toaster oven, etc). The kitchens are equipped with a fridge, stove and microwave already.

Rez is purely lottery (aka by luck) but you have a higher chance of getting into Keyes/Les Prince if you have a 95%+ admission average, because those students are guaranteed a single room (and Keyes is technically considered one since you have your own bedroom).

The party scene at Keyes is smaller than in some of the traditional dorm-style residences, but there are typically parties going on every weekend. The guys who lived in the suite above mine would throw a party every Friday night. I never had any incidences with the RAs, except for when one of my suitemates got issued a minor offence for underage drinking. Most of the RAs know first years are drinking but they turn a blind eye to it unless you're obviously wasted (my friend was throwing up in the hallway) or you're walking around with a beer bottle in hand. Keep your alcohol in your room and hidden.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of roxyv21 roxyv21
Thank you very much! That actually helped alot :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0