yconic - McMaster social sciences
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McMaster social sciences

A photo of Dope Dope
Was wondering if anyone is currently in this program and if so, what was your grade 12 top 6 average?

I know the cutoff is 75% but McMaster is the only university I'll be able to go to so I want to be sure that I'll be able to get in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of Dope Dope

@Respects wrote
I'm in this program and my gr.12 average was a 90. A mid-high 70 should be enough. Social sciences aren't that good at mac, i'm transferring out for next year.

Yeah I've heard that McMaster isn't the best for social sciences.

My average will be anywhere from 77-84, hopefully that will be enough to get me in
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Respects wrote
I'm in this program and my gr.12 average was a 90. A mid-high 70 should be enough. Social sciences aren't that good at mac, i'm transferring out for next year.

What's your major/specialization within Social Science?

What school are you planning to transfer to?

Can I have some insight on why you believe that Social Sciences @ Mac aren't too good?
The program I applied to is split between Social Sciences & Science. I live in Hamilton so Mac was an automatic first choice for me but I'm reading on this forum that they aren't too strong for the Social Sciences.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@Respects wrote

@Medic93 wrote

@Respects wrote

What's your major/specialization within Social Science?

What school are you planning to transfer to?

Can I have some insight on why you believe that Social Sciences @ Mac aren't too good?
The program I applied to is split between Social Sciences & Science. I live in Hamilton so Mac was an automatic first choice for me but I'm reading on this forum that they aren't too strong for the Social Sciences.

Psych at Mac is largely science and biology based. I was planning on majoring in political science but want to now transfer to York for law.

Psych at Mac vs. Psych at U of T, I hope I manage to make a decision that I won't regret when the time comes to accept an offer, if I get any that is :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Dope Dope
Well thanks for hijacking my thread guys, does anyone have an answer to my question? :compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Social Sciences may not have a high cut off or grade range to gain admission entry into. This is a general overview of how some Universities manage their programs such as Life Sciences, Social Sciences, etc. You will be asked to specify what concentration you'd like to go into when applying on OUAC, but essentially you have to meet the first year requirements of that general program by taking required prerequisite courses and maintaining your GPA. I think virtually the majority of first year programs are similar in terms of structure, don't misinterpret what I said, don't think I'm saying Life Science first years have all the same courses as People in the Arts, or Humanities...

I'm saying within the categories of study, such as Arts, Humanities, Engineering, Life Sciences, Social Sciences, you take common first year courses within that field of study with the exception of electives.

Some programs are specialized from the get go, but in terms of McMaster Social Sciences it's not and you actually have to submit a declaration forum for what your major or specialization will be.

So what I'm getting down to is this, you'll get in for sure if you exceed the grade range which is required. So on eInfo, which none of the kids seem to have heard of :P is stating that it's in the Mid 70s. So if your top 6 is in the high 70s or low 80s you'll get an offer. Now referencing back to what I said earlier, don't get too excited cause you have to work hard in first year to meet specific requirements for the program within the Social Sciences that you plan to major or specialize in.

Was this helpful? Yes 0