yconic - McMaster vs Waterloo
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McMaster vs Waterloo

A photo of kthukral kthukral
Guys, m applying for university this year. I need advice which school will be better. Basics that you need to know about me is that i am a good student but not a nerd in anyway. Campus life matters too.
Btw, before any trollers go on to say that mcmaster grads dont find jobs but waterloo grads do, that is just plain bullshit. I know quite a lot of people from waterloo who are still trying to find a good job and on the other hand i know people form mcmaster who are very successful engineers.
Thanx for your help.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of cpeister cpeister
I am a 1A student in Mechanical at Waterloo, and so far I really do think I made the right choice. With that being said, I have a friend that turned down his offer to Waterloo, went to Mac, and hasn't looked back.

Waterloo is a more difficult program to get into, and many will tell you that it is more difficult. Keep in mind that many people go to McMaster when they don't get into Waterloo.

Something important to consider is whether you are interested in co-op. This is what sells many people on Waterloo. At the completion of your degree, you will have 20-24 months of paid work experience. Many students also have job offers from the companies they co-oped at. McMaster also has co-op, but it is not nearly as well organized.

You should also think about the campus community you will be living in. I think Mac has a nicer campus than Waterloo. The Waterloo campus is stuffed full of buildings and there isn't much green space left :( There isn't as much of a social scene here, but that wasn't as important to me.

Visit both schools, read up on them, get more information.

Ultimately, Waterloo seemed like the best fit for me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pandasbox pandasbox

@kthukral wrote
Guys, m applying for university this year. I need advice which school will be better. Basics that you need to know about me is that i am a good student but not a nerd in anyway. Campus life matters too.
Btw, before any trollers go on to say that mcmaster grads dont find jobs but waterloo grads do, that is just plain bullcrap. I know quite a lot of people from waterloo who are still trying to find a good job and on the other hand i know people form mcmaster who are very successful engineers.
Thanx for your help.

Are you from Vanier?

BTW what program are you applying for? If it's a general program (chem, mech, civil), it wouldn't matter too much where you're applying to, you should probably just visit the campuses and see which one you like better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike
Hey there! I was in a very similar situation as you last year. It boiled down to Mac vs UW. This is what i based my decision on:

Factor 1: Program
I got accepted into UW Mech Eng, and Mac Engineering 1 (general first year) and i had to weigh if i truly wanted to go into Mech Eng. I never took CAD courses in my life, and i wasn't that much of a fan of newtonian physics or statics so i really didn't know if i would enjoy Mechanical. Then i thought about hypothetically if i were to be accepted into Mac and i went through a general first year and i was allowed to specialize in 2nd year and i chose Mech, then i should have just chose Mech in the beginning and gone to Waterloo! So i was pretty unsure what to pick weighing risks vs rewards.

Factor 2: Campus/Environment
Many people consider this negligible. And you know, it might be for you, but it completely depends on you. Personally i felt it was a big factor for me. I like green space and i enjoy "recreational activities" besides studying. Like i said, that applied just to me. And my opinion regarding that was my hypothetical life in Mac would probably be happier than in my life at UW. Now to state once more, that applied just to me i know tons of people at UW that probably party harder than me, and overall have a kickarse time there.

With all that being said. GO TO OPEN HOUSES! I personally knew where i wanted to go based off that first fall open house at Mac. Same applied with a few of my friends who loved their time at the UW open houses.

Also to put it into perspective of the benefit of the general first year, in grade 12 i thought i wanted to be in Mechanical (hence applying to Mech at UW), and now half way through my first year of uni, i'm considering choosing Chem Eng or Eng Phys in my second year... so yeah... things change.

But honestly, don't stress yourself out too badly. I went many a sleepless night weighing pros and cons, and emailing and interviewing and it probably isn't really worth it. Both schools are great, both schools will get you employed, the only difference is in the details.

Good luck!

Was this helpful? Yes 0