yconic - McMaster vs.York
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

McMaster vs.York

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

I live in Hamilton so McMaster was an automatic first choice for me.
What factors made you determine that Social Sciences @ Mac aren't that good?
The program I applied to there is split between the Faculty of Science & Social Science, so pretty much combining courses from both Faculties to form the program.

I'd like to know about your experience @ Mac?

Provide me with some insight why you feel it's not strong for the Social Sciences?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Your final goal is law school, it doesn't matter how you get there. If you think the cheaper option close to home is better, go for it. That's what I did. Other people want to go away. If you're not happy at Mac and think York would be better, there's your answer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of NotaQueen NotaQueen
Ok.. I think you're doing a great movement.. I just moved to York from Waterloo and I totally love it here. There are lotsa courses to choose from and you can major, minor and double in wtever you can imagine!!!! I'm serious about it. Courses choice are great and so far all the courses im taking and i took last semester were super easy. I made 75 with no much effort and im sure I'll be able to bring it up to 80ish by the end of this term If i put some extra time.
I'm doing Information Science and minoring in Both Psychology & Business.
I love my Psychology profs. they are very very easy going team and chances are great that you share the same interests with your profs here. There are over 30 clubs for social science alone for both students & profs, and I gurantee you'll enjoy the campus life! decpite all the bad comments I saw about the campus rep.. I find it really enjoyable. There are eleven interdisciplinary programs with various choices of minors, doubles in Social science department: http://www.yorku.ca/laps/sosc/programs.html
You can set up an appointment with a Soc. advisor & visit the campus ahead of time.

Business & ITEC courses that im taking are kinda awesome too.. but not all of them..the core ones make me bored sometimes.

York is well-known for accepting huge number of transfer applicants each year.. according to their websites http://futurestudents.yorku.ca/transfer_credit
You can also start either Winter,Fall, or Spring.

I did two years in Waterloo in BA & got all my credits transferred - with NO EXCEPTION - And I started from my 3rd yr here. It took them 3 wks to accept my 105 application and another 2 weeks for evaluating the courses. So, keep in mind the time and plan well before you start.

I'm not gonna talk about Mac.. I don't know much about it but I'm sure that York is amazing school and everyone loves it here.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Lawstudent1 wrote

@Medic93 wrote
I live in Hamilton so McMaster was an automatic first choice for me.
What factors made you determine that Social Sciences @ Mac aren't that good?
The program I applied to there is split between the Faculty of Science & Social Science, so pretty much combining courses from both Faculties to form the program.

I'd like to know about your experience @ Mac?

Provide me with some insight why you feel it's not strong for the Social Sciences?

McMaster is a science school. It has a really good reputation for sciences/medical programs. Arts don't have variety and breadth. There's only about 6 departments. Mac is also really boring.

When I applied to University, I extensively looked at course offerings in the departments which the programs are situated in. Right now I'm not exactly 100% sure on where I'd ultimately go. My choices as listed don't really mean anything because people change their minds all the time.

My parents seem to have a difficult time accepting the realistic possibility that I might not live @ Home for Uni. I'm looking at options which will fully satisfy my educational needs, and not financial ones, to me that's fair because I want to like my program.

Like I mentioned, course offerings and program structures are really important to me. I pretty much compared which school will provide me with the maximum amount of courses I'd be interested in, rather as "Oh I go to (fill in the blank) but I don't really like my classes)"

So more questions, and these are not program related cause I do my own findings on that.

A lot of people I know will be going to Mac for Fall 2012, so obviously them, plus my parents (Mom mainly), Dad said "go where you want", are pushing for Mac. Quite frankly I just nod my head and say "yeah we'll see", the decision is mine of course.

Did you make friends with people in other Faculties?

Do you find people keep to themselves or want to actually try and talk with people they don't know? (different experience for everyone I understand, but give me yours!)

Do you feel being in a school where the whole Health & Medical education is the grand high light that your program or department don't stand out and are over shadowed?

Sorry for all the questions, even though your answers won't influence my choice, I'm curious to hear them!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@Lawstudent1 wrote

@Medic93 wrote

Did you make friends with people in other Faculties?

Do you find people keep to themselves or want to actually try and talk with people they don't know? (different experience for everyone I understand, but give me yours!)

Do you feel being in a school where the whole Health & Medical education is the grand high light that your program or department don't stand out and are over shadowed?

Sorry for all the questions, even though your answers won't influence my choice, I'm curious to hear them!

Most of my friends are in life sciences and engineering. Social sciences/humanities is highly looked down upon here. People are generally friendly but what I've noticed is that since the other faculties have a much higher workload than social sciences, they don't have much time to socialize. Most people are usually studying and since social sciences/humanities have the fewest number of classes and courses based on writing assignments, we have a lot of free time.

Thanks for the insight, I had a feeling that the other Faculties would be over shadowing the Humanities & Social Sciences. I personally like schools that are literally known to be good at everything they offer. This may sound kind of like an uneducated assumption but schools like Queens, Western, U of T, seem to have faculties that are reputable in a lot of fields. What I'm seeing with Mac is that more of their focus is being put into their Health/Engineering/Sciences (which many will argue are the superior fields of study)

I'm the type of guy that has a interest in both Life & Social Sciences, I think it's important to understand our Biological foundations of Life and how they correlate with the sociological factors.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of NotaQueen NotaQueen
I think you just ignored my post even though I actually had a similar experience with the same school you were asking about. Ridiculous how some people react to the ones who actually tried to help them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

York would probably be ideal.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted