yconic - MCR3U
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

MCR3U

A photo of brady23 brady23
Hey guys,

If any of you have taken this course, how would you rank the units from hardest to easiest? And is the Sequences and Series and Finance Unit really easy? They are our last 2 units.

Here's the units:
1. Sequences and Series
2. Rational Expressions
3. Financial Mathematics
4. Quadratic Functions and Equations
5. Trigonometry - (Angles in Quadrants, Trig Identities, Trig Ratios)
6. Trigonometric Functions - (Sinusoidal Functions - cos, sin, applications)
7. Transformations of Functions
8. Exponential Functions
Was this helpful? Yes 0
18 replies

A photo of Xizeta Xizeta
I would say the course gets easier as you progress through it. When it comes to transformations, it is really all the same machanics just different shapes and parent functions. The more practice and familiar you get with functions the better your results. I think there is a tendency for people to do better in the advanced functions for that reason.

Personally, I think trigonometry is really easy. The trigonometric identities are something of a puzzle but is mostly skill based (algebra). However, some people do have a problem with this section. You will use pythagoras, the sin law, and the cosine law. There might be some three-dimentional problems which require breaking down into compenents. You will see obtuse angles which changes nothing with the exception of maybe the abiguous triangle (two possible triangles in a problem).

The exponential unit revolves around a simple formula. Sequences basically use the linear and exponential formula. y=mx+b and y=ab^x...

There is also some stuff that is more skill based. Like exponent laws.

Some people struggle with this course. I would say the course is not too challenging. However, you will progress quickly througout seven or eight units. You will probably have homework every night.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
The whole course is a joke really. I found financial math even easier than the rest. People said that it would be 10x harder than Grade 10 math, and your mark would drop between 5 and 10 %, yeah right.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Xizeta Xizeta

@johnnycanuck wrote
The whole course is a joke really. I found financial math even easier than the rest. People said that it would be 10x harder than Grade 10 math, and your mark would drop between 5 and 10 %, yeah right.

When I took grade 10 math: my teacher would put one page of medium difficulty question, the 3-5 pages that followed were all application questions. He made a point of putting irrelevant information and numbers into the word problems. Why? Just to make extrapolating information a labor.

He was thoroughly a tough marker. My grade 10 math experience was far worse than grade 11. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
im having a hard time actually
the fact that i had a horrible grade 10 base, and now a teacher who only teaches for 10 minute is really hitting hard on me >_____>
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Xizeta Xizeta
My class does about 10-30 minutes of homework takeup, the rest is usually instruction abd examples. We almost never get any time to do work in class. My teacher usually just assigns a bunch of questions at the end of class.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster

@Xizeta wrote
My class does about 10-30 minutes of homework takeup, the rest is usually instruction abd examples. We almost never get any time to do work in class. My teacher usually just assigns a bunch of questions at the end of class.

Get used to it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Xizeta Xizeta

@thecookiemonster wrote

@Xizeta wrote

Get used to it.

Not really a problem for me. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
omg grade 12s stop hating on the grade 11s
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly

@brady23 wrote
Hey guys,

If any of you have taken this course, how would you rank the units from hardest to easiest? And is the Sequences and Series and Finance Unit really easy? They are our last 2 units.

Here's the units:
1. Sequences and Series
2. Rational Expressions
3. Financial Mathematics
8. Exponential Functions

Easiest to hardest:
1. Trig
2. Financial
3. Sequences and Series
4. Exponential (including transformations)
5. Rational (including transformations)
6. Quadratic (including transformations)
7. Trig Functions (including transformations)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JFreakkJello JFreakkJello
I'm in grade 11 too... this post is interesting. :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
It's baby easy. I had a 95% without even bothering to turn up sometimes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Quiz Quiz

@brady23 wrote
Hey guys,

Here's the units:
1. Sequences and Series
2. Rational Expressions
3. Financial Mathematics
8. Exponential Functions

hardest>easiest: 8>2>4>3>1>6>7>5
Watch out, though. 5 and 6 become the hardest in grade 12, even though they are extremely easy in grade 11.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Quiz Quiz

@Jack555 wrote
omg grade 12s stop hating on the grade 11s

I've already done a year of university, so I'll put the grade 12s in their place :bball:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rela Rela
Trig identity is a bitch
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Suskun Suskun
Bro this course may be easy for others but for me it was a very hard.. i had a 90% in g10 math, and in MCR3U iam currently doing it my marks around 50% atm, (next year iam taking the mix math g11) and this isnt for me only, most of my friends who got 80's and 90's in g10 and failing atm.

so choice correct, if someone asked me right now to pick between MCR3U AND THE MIX G11 COURSE ill pick the mix.

But again thats just me.. in my school there are 3 classes for this course and so far over 50% of the class is failing for all 3 classes (not trying to scare you or anything)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PeoplesChamp PeoplesChamp
I'll tell you the truth, MCR3U has no applications towards Grade 12 advanced functions. In my opinion the only real applications is the knowledge of radicals for use in the Trig Identities unit an Log's. Other then that best route I would say is the mix and then take the grade 12 college (MCT4C1) course which is a pre-requisite for Grade 12 Functions. Now, you might be asking why would I take a "C" level course to prepare for 12 U functions. The answer is simple, the MCT4C1 course directly correlates to the 12 U advanced functions course in the terms that the units are almost identical, although not as in depth. Hence, it will be a fantastic pre-advanced functions course so to speak. In MCT4C1 you will learn, all the basic tools you will need to learn and use in advanced functions. (I.E Synthetic Division, Log's, Unit Circle, Trig, Exponentials, etc.) MCT4C1 is essentially a basic advanced function course for people who need math for college and is a great route if you don't mind spending the time as this route is longer. But I'll tell you that this course does better prepare you for advanced functions which is the course most universities require and will look at than the MCR3U course.

Cheers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Xizeta Xizeta
Have you actually taken both the MCR3U and the MCT4C?

I never realized MCT4U could get you into advanced functions.

I’m sure there would be a benefit to the path you’ve suggested. On top of that you would have an additional math class with practice and instruction. Personally, I wouldn’t bother with this if you’re a strong math student.

MCR3U is a functions course, subsequently, that prepares you for MFH4U. There's a learning curve present and you'd probably have more challenging evaluations. If you have the compasity to learn, which would be essential for university, just take the 3U.

But that depends on you. MCT4U is a pretty good suggestion depending on you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly

@Suskun wrote
Bro this course may be easy for others but for me it was a very hard.. i had a 90% in g10 math, and in MCR3U iam currently doing it my marks around 50% atm, (next year iam taking the mix math g11) and this isnt for me only, most of my friends who got 80's and 90's in g10 and failing atm.

so choice correct, if someone asked me right now to pick between MCR3U AND THE MIX G11 COURSE ill pick the mix.

But again thats just me.. in my school there are 3 classes for this course and so far over 50% of the class is failing for all 3 classes (not trying to scare you or anything)

Seems like a huge overstatement to me, I don't know of anyone failing the course who got over a 70 in gr 10. I dropped ~5% from gr 10 to gr 11 with similar studying habits in both, and I do find gr 11 much harder than grade 10, but not to an extent that warrants a 40% drop. I don't think anyone failed in my class... Though it does depend on one's personal math skill, but dropping down from a 90 to a 50... that's drastic.

As for gr 12 math. I don't find gr 12 trig the hardest unit, or even much harder than gr 11 at all. As a matter of fact, I'm taking it right now and I just finished the unit (moving onto logs nowadays) and I think it was my best unit yet. We'll have to see though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0