yconic - Meal Plan + Residence
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Meal Plan + Residence

A photo of Marie5 Marie5
So meal plans are optional or mandatory according to your residence, my question is is meal plans worth it?

According to a relative, her daughter goes to UWO and not only is a $3,000 meal plan too much, a fraction of it also goes to something along the lines of a maintenance fee.

Does this apply to all universities? (York, in particular)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Well if you live in a traditional residence (with no kitchen), then a meal plan is pretty much necessary. I lived in a suite style rez with kitchen but meal plans are mandatory at Mac, so I still had to get one. However, since I had access to a kitchen, I was allowed to get a reduced meal plan ($1850) and that STILL was too much for me. I ended up treating my parents to dinner in the restaurant on campus a bunch of times when they came to drop me off to spend it all.

Right now I live off campus and I have a freedom meal plan where I just add money to it (min. $20 increments) whenever I need more and that's more useful for me, though you have to pay tax (the regular meal plans are exempt from tax). I would suggest getting the lightest meal plan possible unless you're staying on campus all the time (including weekends) or getting a meal plan where you can add money to it at your own leisure.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of biosci biosci
Meal plans at Guelph are also mandatory. They are a good idea. I got a Full meal plan last year which was $4150.00 and it lasted me the entire year. I never starved that's for sure. About $1000.00 went to a stupid fee but you get huge discounts and no tax with the meal cards.

I would reccomend getting the smaller one like "inthemaking" said. That would be the best way to go. When it runs out you can add money to it.

Also bring a small bar fridge. My roommates had one and it's a great idea. You can store snacks and milk in it..or alcohol LOL Eating breafast or one meal a day at home really saves you money.

Was this helpful? Yes 0