yconic - Mechatronics at UW
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Mechatronics at UW

A photo of AKhan11 AKhan11
So, I went to the Waterloo fall open house and the dean of mechanical/mechatronics told me that the competing average is between 90-95%. Even though it states "high 80's" on the UW website. Now I am scared of not getting in because i don't even have a lot of relevant ECs. All i have are:

Youth Council (volunteering)
Junior Achievement (buisness)
Deca (buisness club)
Cross country (sports)
Wrestling (grd 9-10 - moved schools in grd 11, it didn't have a wrestling team)
Chess club (fun)
Dwite (programming contest)
Math contests
working at Tim Hortons.

I don't know what i can join that is engineering related because my school does not have a robotics team and I can't just create one because I don't know how to build robots. :S

So my question is can you please tell me if you actually need a 90-95 average to get into mechatronics and what are some engineering related ECs i can join? Thnks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
A competitive average is always in the 90's, however I do think that there are many people that get accepted with high 80's. You have good EC's from what I can see...I don't know about what computer related clubs there are. Maybe try and get involved with other clubs that need a person doing technological stuff (eg. a school play that needs a tech person). Haha that's the best I can come up with :P

I don't know what level of EC's they are looking for as I'm in grade 12 too, but I do know that it is definitely possible to get accepted with 80's. Good luck :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of n0y0x n0y0x
I'm in Mechatronics 2015. I got in with a 89.7 average, and after asking around a little, I haven't met anyone in my class with an average lower than 89. I had a very strong AIF.

You can talk about other relevant experiences on your AIF. Tron involves more than just robots, even talking about past programming experience is good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of moneymoneymoney moneymoneymoney

@n0y0x wrote
I'm in Mechatronics 2015. I got in with a 89.7 average, and after asking around a little, I haven't met anyone in my class with an average lower than 89. I had a very strong AIF.

You can talk about other relevant experiences on your AIF. Tron involves more than just robots, even talking about past programming experience is good.

hey what kind of coop jobs will I get in the program? I know mechatronics is a mix of mechanical and electrical so could i get jobs as an electrical engineer/mechanical engineer? or are the jobs strictly mechatronics related? Just wondering b/c im trying to decide between applying to mechatronics or electrical engineering
Also what were ure extra curriculars?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of n0y0x n0y0x
I've only done 2 coop terms so far. I know for the first few terms, you can apply for a job in any engineering discipline. As a result, I have many classmates working software since there's more jobs there. (ex. RIM). I also have classmates working in mechanical. For example, a friend of mine worked on engines with P&W.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Irvanjit802 Irvanjit802

@n0y0x wrote
I've only done 2 coop terms so far. I know for the first few terms, you can apply for a job in any engineering discipline. As a result, I have many classmates working software since there's more jobs there. (ex. RIM). I also have classmates working in mechanical. For example, a friend of mine worked on engines with P&W.

your mom came and vork for me during her co op term :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0