mechatronics vs electrical vs mechanical engineering?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

mechatronics vs electrical vs mechanical engineering?

A photo of Rohit400 Rohit400
hi guys i was just wondering if i decide to go into mechatronics (which i head is a combination of Mechanical engineering, Electronic engineering, Computer engineering, Control engineering, and Systems Design engineering) instead of electrical and mechanical engineering which are more specific <br>so later on in life when i go for an engineering job for... lets say electrical <br>so will my mechatronics degree be less compared to another candidate for the same job with an electrical degree <br> <br>also what jobs are there for something with an mechatronics degree <br> <br>also is anyone in mechatronics in any universities? <br>and is the experience ? <br>
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of TTRaptors TTRaptors
From friends of mine, the general advice of engineers is to stay as broad as possible if your uncertain of a particular job which you want to do. The broader your field of study, the greater number of opportunities if one of your first plans should fail.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Mechatronics encompasses both electrical and mechanical but it is not broader then electrical and mechanical. You are limited to dealing with mechatronics not to mention most employers have never heard of mechatronics. Where as electrical and mechanical students can enter mechatronics and many other fields as well. Search mechatronics on workopolis. If you really like mechatronics do it but IMO your better off doing mechanical or electrical. In electrical you'll still deal with systems design, control systems and electronic engineering and im pretty sure some schools allow you to specialize. Mechanical will deal with moving parts side of mechatronics and many schools allow you to specialize in mechatronics.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nakhuda93 nakhuda93

@pj2121 wrote
Mechatronics encompasses both electrical and mechanical but it is not broader then electrical and mechanical. You are limited to dealing with mechatronics not to mention most employers have never heard of mechatronics. Where as electrical and mechanical students can enter mechatronics and many other fields as well. Search mechatronics on workopolis. If you really like mechatronics do it but IMO your better off doing mechanical or electrical. In electrical you'll still deal with systems design, control systems and electronic engineering and im pretty sure some schools allow you to specialize. Mechanical will deal with moving parts side of mechatronics and many schools allow you to specialize in mechatronics.

Agreed, I know from experience. My dad is a mechanical engineer working as an electrical, process and industrial engineer who designs office furniture (which is bought by many large companies and I even saw it in a Buckley's commercial). He told me mechanical engineering is pretty much a universal degree because it covers a wide variety of topics. Also even you have an engineering degree that doesn't necessarily mean you will even be an engineer, you could end up as a project manager or consultant. Either way I have to say mechanical is the way to go.
Was this helpful? Yes 0