yconic - Mechatronics waterloo vs Eng sci UTSG
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Mechatronics waterloo vs Eng sci UTSG

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
cant decide which one i should accept
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of zaidpass zaidpass
I had the same thought in my head, Engineering Science or Nanotech...then I got rejected lmao from Nano :S

Engineering Science was my first choice though because it is he flagship of UofT's Engineering. It is the reason why UofT is ranked 13th in the world, surpassing Waterloo.

You can specialize in the 3rd year, so you have at least 2 more years to think if you want to go to mechatronic or any other field. There is also the option after first year that you can switch into any other Engineering you want at UofT.

The thing about Waterloo Engineering is their co-op. My brothers friend an Electrical Engineer made $30 an hour working at RIM.

At the same time i know a person who got an internship at BMW in the states, I don't know how much he is getting paid.

I am more confused, so I picked Engineering Science because I am not 100% sure what exact Engineering I want.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@zaidpass wrote
I had the same thought in my head, Engineering Science or Nanotech...then I got rejected lmao from Nano :S

Engineering Science was my first choice though because it is he flagship of UofT's Engineering. It is the reason why UofT is ranked 13th in the world, surpassing Waterloo.

You can specialize in the 3rd year, so you have at least 2 more years to think if you want to go to mechatronic or any other field. There is also the option after first year that you can switch into any other Engineering you want at UofT.

The thing about Waterloo Engineering is their co-op. My brothers friend an Electrical Engineer made $30 an hour working at RIM.

At the same time i know a person who got an internship at BMW in the states, I don't know how much he is getting paid.

I am more confused, so I picked Engineering Science because I am not 100% sure what exact Engineering I want.

thanks for the help i see you have also applied to schulich so how did you decide between business and engineering
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pandasbox pandasbox

@zaidpass wrote

Can we please switch? I got into Nano but was rejected for EngSci, and that was my first choice. -______-
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of jvalador jvalador
University of Toronto: Engineering Science waiting
University of Toronto: Lassonde Mineral Engineering alternate offer
University of Toronto: Physical and Mathematical Sciences accepted
University of Toronto (Scarborough): Sciences accepted
University of Waterloo: Nanotechnology Engineering accepted
University of Waterloo: Computer Science/Bioinformatics accepted
University of Waterloo: Computational Mathematics accepted

beast...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mig Mig
if you are sure you want to work in a area related to Mechatronics i would definitely go for Waterloo. At Waterloo you will see a 90+ and 95+ employment rate depending on the years, and you will make 50-75k. This is going to significantly help you pay of debt and financially will be a ridiculously good decision to make.

However there are other strong factors to co-op, at Waterloo you get to try 6 co-op positions, this gives you 6 excellent chances to try out 6 different fields you might be interested in (keep in mind the high employment rate). EngSci may seem attractive because it gives you the opportunity to pick a career in (3rd), but there is no supplement to actually getting out there and trying out your career before you invest in it.

Further more i heard zaid site that uft is international superior to Waterloo in ranking, while this is true it will make little difference in your undergraduate career. International rankings heavily rely on research (mostly done by professors), and this is where the relative large size and therefor perpetual research attracting ability of Toronto trumps Waterloo. Keep in mind that UofT is a VERY old institution, I think it originated in the mid 18 hundreds, while Waterloo has only had it's engineering program for what 50 years?

Holy novel batman! sorry for the rambling and the length of this post; my point is that considering the overall undergrad experience i think Waterloo will provide a superior educational environment for you academically and professionally. You will graduate out of debt and with two whole freaking years of job experience in (!six!) potentially different job placements.

Edit: Oh! and if you are still here when you've made your decision, or if you have more questions please pm me! I'd love to help.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm not disagreeing with MIG but also remember that UofT has PEY. You don't make as much as Co-op because you don't work as much. You make around 50k, so its pretty much the same hourly wage but instead of 2 years its a year and couple months I think. It is their paid internship program. It is different from waterloo's semester based co-op. You should look into it if you really want to know more information. They PEY is optional.

Waterloo with co-op 5 years: Uof T with PEY 5 years
Uoft without PEY: 4 years

They are both the best Engineering Schools, so the best thing to do is maybe visit the campus?

I tried that but it didn't really help, others say it helps a lot.

Deciding between Engineering and Business is the hardest thing to do. I am probably going to decide on June 1st. The problem is that UOFT destroys Schlich and york for being prestigous and reputable. Also if you look at rankings, Uoft Engineering is 13th in the world while schlich is ranked 50th in the world for business. I'm leaning towards Engineering Science, but before that i was leaning towards Schlich when I had an alternative to Materials.

The only thing that is stopping me so far to accept me Engineering Science offer is, schlich 20-25 hours class per week...Engineering Science 35 hours per week. :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@pandasbox wrote

@zaidpass wrote

Can we please switch? I got into Nano but was rejected for EngSci, and that was my first choice. -______-

Thats actually funny! Waterloo is on crack or something. Anyways when did you get your alternative offer? UofT recently just updated their offers. My early alternative offer to Materials changed back to Engineering Science this week.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pandasbox pandasbox

@zaidpass wrote

Thats actually funny! Waterloo is on crack or something. Anyways when did you get your alternative offer? UofT recently just updated their offers. My early alternative offer to Materials changed back to Engineering Science this week.

Both U of T and Waterloo are on crack, this kid in my school with a 98 average still hasn't gotten his offer to EngSci. I'm just hoping I still have a chance before June 2.

I got my alternative offer this week, up until then it had always been "pending review". Why the hell did it take so long for them to review my application? They better not have reviewed applications by alphabetical order.
Was this helpful? Yes 0