yconic - med school prerquisites
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

med school prerquisites

A photo of SDHN SDHN
Do courses in psychology (science) at undergraduate level considered as life science courses that can be used to fulfill medical school requirements? Does this mean that a person could fulfill med school requirements without even taking high school science courses as you don't need science courses as prerequisites for med school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
No, psych courses are considered social sciences. They won't fulfill life/biological science prereqs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SDHN SDHN

@inthemaking wrote
No, psych courses are considered social sciences. They won't fulfill life/biological science prereqs.

What about psychology program at U of T ? It is categerized under life science and the only prerequisites you need to get into that program are calculus and english.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
If you need to ask this question, med school probably isn't the best option for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking

@SDHN wrote

@inthemaking wrote

What about psychology program at U of T ? It is categerized under life science and the only prerequisites you need to get into that program are calculus and english.

I'm not familiar with the BSc psych program at U of T, do you take any science courses (bio/chem/physics) in 1st year? I'm guessing not since there are no science prereqs to get into the program. At Mac, to get into the BSc psych program, you first have to enter through the life sci program (which is general) in 1st year, and you take bio, chem, physics, psych and calc as mandatory classes then. Then in 2nd year you can major in BSc psych and from there on you only have to take psych courses. So in that case, those 1st year science courses would fulfill the science prereqs for med school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0