yconic - Medical School in Ontario
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Medical School in Ontario

A photo of RedMittenDoc RedMittenDoc
My first post on this site! :cheers:

I'm looking into all the careers related to degrees in life sciences and health sciences (ie at mcmaster, mcgill, queens...). What I've found is that all people say is medical school in Canada (or preferably Ontario for me), is super competitive, with admission GPAs from what I've found (please correct is false) around 3.8-3.65, with great MCAT scores, ECs , autobiography sketch, reference letters, and the o so scary interview.

To be honest this sounds like hard work, plus a lifetime of build up good habits. Is getting HS equivilant of 85+ alot harder in uni. Is it really so competitive that kids with 3.75s and up are getting kicked to go get a master or PHDs?

What does a person with a competitive application look like to Queens Medicine or McMaster or even Ottawa (I live there)...?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
To be honest I don't think it's actually as competitive as it's hyped out to be. I was in Mac health sci and so 90% of my peers were aiming for med school. A lot of my friends got into med school after 3rd year (I think about 30-50% of my class left after 3rd year for med) and for some of them, I was surprised. Getting a 3.8+ GPA is actually not that hard (unless you're in engineering) since for a lot of Ontario med schools there are no/minimal prereqs (aka people take a lot of bird courses to boost their GPA). And even without taking bird courses it's really not too difficult to obtain a high GPA if you're interested in your courses. My GPA in 3rd year (my last year of undergrad) was way higher than my GPA in 1st year because a) I knew I was using those marks to apply to vet school and b) the courses weren't boring general courses, they were courses like pathoanatomy, pathophysiology, immunology etc that I wanted to take.

The MCAT is tough, I studied my ass off and only got an average score, but NOSM doesn't look at the MCAT at all and Mac med only requires a 10 in VR. I have a friend with a 33Q who got into both Queen's and U of T (she had a great GPA and interview to offset it). So an average MCAT score is not the end of the world. The MMI isn't actually that scary, I prefer it to standard interviews even though it's daunting at first because you get a fresh start with each station and can redeem yourself after doing poorly on one.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@RedMittenDoc wrote

To be honest this sounds like hard work, plus a lifetime of build up good habits.

Heaven forbid we ask our future doctors to be hard workers with good habits
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote

@RedMittenDoc wrote

To be honest this sounds like hard work, plus a lifetime of build up good habits.

Heaven forbid we ask our future doctors to be hard workers with good habits

I'm saying that's what we Canadians would expect, that being also very achievable.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@inthemaking wrote
To be honest I don't think it's actually as competitive as it's hyped out to be. I was in Mac health sci and so 90% of my peers were aiming for med school. A lot of my friends got into med school after 3rd year (I think about 30-50% of my class left after 3rd year for med) and for some of them, I was surprised. Getting a 3.8+ GPA is actually not that hard (unless you're in engineering) since for a lot of Ontario med schools there are no/minimal prereqs (aka people take a lot of bird courses to boost their GPA). And even without taking bird courses it's really not too difficult to obtain a high GPA if you're interested in your courses. My GPA in 3rd year (my last year of undergrad) was way higher than my GPA in 1st year because a) I knew I was using those marks to apply to vet school and b) the courses weren't boring general courses, they were courses like pathoanatomy, pathophysiology, immunology etc that I wanted to take.

The MCAT is tough, I studied my ass off and only got an average score, but NOSM doesn't look at the MCAT at all and Mac med only requires a 10 in VR. I have a friend with a 33Q who got into both Queen's and U of T (she had a great GPA and interview to offset it). So an average MCAT score is not the end of the world. The MMI isn't actually that scary, I prefer it to standard interviews even though it's daunting at first because you get a fresh start with each station and can redeem yourself after doing poorly on one.

Thanks! I was hoping for something like this. Your profile says you go to OVC (Siiick btw), but do you know how much weight, where you went to get your life or health sci degree has on acceptance to med school. Besides the McMaster Health sci PBL, would a queens 3.8 and Mcgill 3.8 and an Ottawa U 3.8 GPA be measured the same?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking

@RedMittenDoc wrote

@inthemaking wrote

Thanks! I was hoping for something like this. Your profile says you go to OVC (Siiick btw), but do you know how much weight, where you went to get your life or health sci degree has on acceptance to med school. Besides the McMaster Health sci PBL, would a queens 3.8 and Mcgill 3.8 and an Ottawa U 3.8 GPA be measured the same?

Med schools don't care where you did your undergrad - a 3.8 is looked at the same way regardless of whether you got it at U of T or Algoma.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I would really like some other opinions as well, internet research is just making me feel more like it's like draw.
Was this helpful? Yes 0