yconic - Medical School (out of reach)...?Business?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Medical School (out of reach)...?Business?

A photo of Fiasco29 Fiasco29
Hey guys,

Throughout high school my marks have been in the low 90's (90-92)in the sciences sometimes high 80s.

I was hoping to go to medical school but I've realized that I'll have to get 95%+ to be competitive or like a 3.9 GPA

Do you think I can do it? I'm already trying and now my dream is becoming just that, a dream... :s

I'm thinking that I should just go into business and take the safe road. I've been accepted to Schulich School of Business (BBA) and think I'll accept their offer over York's Biomedical Science (BSc)...

What should I do...Science or Business?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Nothing's impossible if you just believe. ;)
Don't do something because you think you'll make big bucks in the end, do something that you love.
If it's sciences that you love, then go for it.
Somewhere down the road you may find that med school won't be on your "to do" list anymore.
My marks are nowhere close to a 99 but I've been thinking about med school as an option. I know it's going to be hard but I'm willing to work on it.
Btw - a 3.9 isn't a 95%+ I don't think, that's crazy high. And you just need a 3.8 to be competitive I'm pretty sure.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
How do you know med school is out of reach? You haven't applied. You have 3-4 years before applying, I know people that went from being a 60-70 average student in high school to 80-90 student in university. Also a 3.9 GPA doesn't translate to 95+. A 3.9 is 85-89% and a 4.0 is 90%+. The majority of med school applicants don't have 3.9s. To be competitive all you need is around a 3.7-3.8, which translates to 80-85%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kyleigh711 kyleigh711
Another thing to consider is that you can apply to med school from pretty much any program (ie. from music to computer science). If you think business might be for you, do your undergrad in business. As long as you take the necessary prerequisites, the option to apply to med school will still be there. If you enjoy it, your average may be higher than others in premed programs, and if it isn't enough, you may have more job options open to you than many of the people who took biomed or lifesci with the sole intention of attending med school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
You just sound like you've been intimidated from hearing about how hard it is. Someone with low 90's in highschool can definitely get in if they work hard. Plus, 3.9 GPA is not equivalent to 95%, so it'll be easier than you thought to pull that off.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Fiasco29 Fiasco29
Sup guys! Thanks for all the help/support!

But, in regards to marks what GPA would you need to get into UofT Med School(for example)? And what does that GPA convert into in %'s.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@inthemaking wrote
How do you know med school is out of reach? You haven't applied. You have 3-4 years before applying, I know people that went from being a 60-70 average student in high school to 80-90 student in university. Also a 3.9 GPA doesn't translate to 95+. A 3.9 is 85-89% and a 4.0 is 90%+. The majority of med school applicants don't have 3.9s. To be competitive all you need is around a 3.7-3.8, which translates to 80-85%.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of esin esin

@Fiasco29 wrote
Sup guys! Thanks for all the help/support!

But, in regards to marks what GPA would you need to get into UofT Med School(for example)? And what does that GPA convert into in %'s.

it depends on which uni u attend. as u can see here
Was this helpful? Yes 0