yconic - Medical School Preparation
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Medical School Preparation

A photo of 94aschahal 94aschahal
Hello everyone,

I'm a grade 11 student in BC. I am really interested into getting enrolled in a medical school in CANADA. I certainly don't want to go and study medical outside Canada. I am getting pretty good grades currently, overall 97% currently in grade 11. 100% in Math, 100% Chemistry, 94% in English, 93% in socials. I am taking Bio 11 in next semester. I am also volunteering at a senior home and hopefully be volunteering at a hospital and St.John Ambulance too.

I am actually looking towards McGill University, UBC Medical or McMaster.

Does anyone has any idea for what should I do extra to get accepted at any of these Universities? Or If anyone has any suggestions about Extracurricular activities that should be done? Or If anyone wants to share their experience of their struggle to get into a medical school?

Also, I want to know that does it really matter from what institute do you do your BSc program before going to a Med School?

Can anyone also tell me about medical interviews, for examples, how to prepare for them and other advices?

Thanks in advance. I would really appreciate your replies. :) Please reply.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of CMq CMq
Well, first off you need to complete an undergraduate degree-ANY undergraduate degree. Don't pick one just because you think it will be a perfect "Pre-Med" degree-anything from music to art, to english, to sciences will be considered equally. If you enjoy a course, you'll do better at it-so be creative and choose something you will actually enjoy doing. Aim for strong marks from a variety of disciplines.

Second, it's great to see that you're considering some medicine related activities. Keep doing those. For many universities, it's more than just about an MCAT score-they want to see you as a mature, well-rounded applicant, so get out there and either work or volunteer. Stay involved in your community.

Thirdly, some research to help you out. For McMaster, since it is in Ontario, you can look at this link: http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/ ,which contains information on Ontario Medical schools. I don't know about Megill or UBC, since those are not in my province.
Good luck with everything! However, keep your mind open to other possibilities. Remember that Doctoring is not the be-all, end-all of medicine!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@CMq wrote
Well, first off you need to complete an undergraduate degree-ANY undergraduate degree. Don't pick one just because you think it will be a perfect "Pre-Med" degree-anything from music to art, to english, to sciences will be considered equally. If you enjoy a course, you'll do better at it-so be creative and choose something you will actually enjoy doing. Aim for strong marks from a variety of disciplines.

Second, it's great to see that you're considering some medicine related activities. Keep doing those. For many universities, it's more than just about an MCAT score-they want to see you as a mature, well-rounded applicant, so get out there and either work or volunteer. Stay involved in your community.

Thirdly, some research to help you out. For McMaster, since it is in Ontario, you can look at this link: http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/ ,which contains information on Ontario Medical schools. I don't know about Megill or UBC, since those are not in my province.
Good luck with everything! However, keep your mind open to other possibilities. Remember that Doctoring is not the be-all, end-all of medicine!

Thank you very much .... Its a great help. I don't have any words to appreciate your efforts for this reply. :) THANKS!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks for the response. One more quick question:-

How much role does money play to study in a Med-school? I mean is it possible to study in a medical school by just relying on study loans?
Or in other words, does tuition fees impede your way to study in Med school?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of threepointonefour threepointonefour
Just a quick note, if you look at the schools you are applying to, notice that Med programs often reserve a majority of seats for in-province students. Some schools allow high school OR university to count towards this eligibility requirement (not all) so it can sometimes be beneficial to go outside your province. Double check though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0