yconic - Medicine or Engineering
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Medicine or Engineering

A photo of tnazz tnazz
I am a grade 12 student and I have applied to:
Mac Life Sci
Western BioMed
UTM LIfe Sci
Waterloo Electrical Engineering
UofT Electrical Engineering

I am currently taking biology, physics and advance functions this semester.
Biology 86%
Physics 92%
Advance Functions 94%

Before this year started I wanted to go into medicine for sure but now I'm having doubts. I enjoy both biology and physics but I'm not doing as good in biology. I think this is because I find bio subjective and I believe I don't study hard enough. I really do not enjoy reading scholarly journals/articles in bio. I'm worried that if I'm not getting 90% in bio in grade 12, how am I going to manage that in uni.

Also if I end up choosing medicine I don't know whether to choose Western or Mac. I like the program at western more but people tell me there's a lot of distractions like parties. If any of you attend Western or Mac for life sci/biomed please tell me the reason you chose that uni. I would really appreciate some replies. Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
20 replies

A photo of sarahliu2013 sarahliu2013
I would definitely recommend Medicine, but that's just my personal preference. Mac Life Sci is a pretty renowned program and if you do get into that and Western I would say Mac. I know a lot of friends who go there and all of them believe that they made the right choice
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rani rani
Seems that you aren't as passionate about bio as physics.

Also medicine requires you to be strong in chemistry aswell. If bio and chem are your favourite fields, then yes, medicine should be appropriate for you.

Since you are strong at physics and math, i suggest you should think of engineering. You will get a satisfying job in half the time, and based on your marks you will probably, do better in engineering. Just sayin.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pm pm
86% in bio is not bad. However you are doing better in physics and math. You should see how you do in chemistry and calculus as well. You should choose the field that you think you will like doing better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats
I'm deciding between those two too! I really want to go to UBC's Pre-med engineering alternative path, but it says its REALLY competitive...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Well, from the looks of it, it seems to me like you enjoy physics and math more than you do bio.
Medicine is more concentrated in biochem and chem.
If you like physics more than bio, then I would suggest you go into engineering. But during your first year, you can take science courses/electives related to both medicine and engineering and really figure out what it is that you like.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of minchau minchau
Hey, hopefully I can help... The way I see it, medicine can take about 8 years to complete, thats a lot of time and money to spend on something your not even sure you want. Engineering only takes about 2 years and the course is less challenging. My brother is taking power engineering and he really enjoys it, but I guess it's up to you :) Hopefully whatever you choose works out
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
How does engineering only take about 2 years? lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of minchau minchau
There are lot's of different types of engineering, my brother is doing power engineering and it takes 2 years, plus they find you a summer job in that field :) Some types take less time and some types take more time I guess, but it all depends on what your going in for :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of shadowinthedark shadowinthedark
Go with what you like more~!
I really want to go to engineering, but then my mom is in the field and telling me how hard it is to find a good paying job, especially when the economy is down. Sigh...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of katiebaltzer katiebaltzer
Depends what kind of engineering and where you are!
For example, where I live mechanical engineers aren't in demand at all, although civil engineers usually don't have a hard time finding a job.
So its best to look into that.
Nursing is good too though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jenyouwin jenyouwin

@StudentAtStPats wrote
I'm deciding between those two too! I really want to go to UBC's Pre-med engineering alternative path, but it says its REALLY competitive...

I heard it is full of science rejects. I was considering this as well!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jvb Jvb
Personally I would look at the end result - do you want to be treating patients all day or designing and planning buildings? It's up to you :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hannah.a.11 hannah.a.11
Engineering definitely, your obviously better at math and physics rather than biology. If you really want to do alot of memorizing then go for medicine but if your more about problem solving and numbers go for engineering but based on your marks you like engineering better and would do better in that
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of carina3322 carina3322

@StudentAtStPats wrote

im a pre med alternative student in first year right now... it is competetive but it only helps in the first year .
To most of my pre med alternative path friends and me, we think it's not that useful in second year; therefore, whether or not it is competetive become not important because we can still take the medical pre req in second year with our own time which that even if you staied in pre med in 2nd year, you still need to take them besides your regular classes...
the important matter is that you are sure you want to go to medical school, ready for getting a LOT of workload, and that you actually get in! dont worry too much :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of FiresinX FiresinX
Go to Engineering, this way you can also apply to medical school.

Just in case you didn't know, you can apple to medical school regardless of your major or degree. Don't believe me? Check their websites and ask anyone that's a premed. Also, if your doing better in physics, you'll probably do better in engineering = higher chance of getting into medical school. However, if you decide to take bio related courses and do terrible in them...chances are slim you'll get into med school. This way, you get an engineering degree and can even get into medical school, win win.

Edit: Biology is almost completely different from actual stuff done in medical school, just cause you do well in highschool biology 12U, doesn't mean you'll do well in university let alone medical school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of maxinee maxinee
Hello,
ya i also think that you are more good in physics than bio so i think you have to go with physics or engineering and if you want to go in medicine field then you also have very good opportunities.

good luck!!

Was this helpful? Yes 0