yconic - Meeting the minimum requirements?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Meeting the minimum requirements?

A photo of Kaname Kaname
What happens when you don't meet minimum requirements of your program?
I'm really worried cause I've been doing really bad in Chemistry lately and I'm worried that they'll revoke my early admissions.. and I might not get anywhere anymore. Is it possible to go to summer school for the 1 month or 2 weeks one to go and upgrade your marks? Would admissions consider me for a student in fall though or would I have to wait till next year to re-apply again? I'm really terrified of this happening so if anyone could give me any tips I'd really be grateful.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
What program/school are you going to?
Most schools set a "conditional average" that you have to maintain once you get accepted into a program.
Most of the times, this conditional average isn't anywhere near as high as what is required to receive admission, around 70-80%.
How much did you drop by in chem?
I think if you're still getting an A or high B, you really have nothing to worry about.

And you will have to re-apply for next year if they take back the admission. They make final decisions in the early summer about whether you're in for sure or not, they won't wait till the fall unless there is some excruciating circumstance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Doorhandle Doorhandle
Im sort of concerned about this as well...Let's say I have to maintain an 83, but I end up with an 82. Obviously, I figure that under normal circumstances they would not hesitate to revoke my offer. But what if I called the school and asked them to look at some medical history that I have? If I get in by being above the cutoff, they will not look at any forms outlining any extenuating circumstances, but will they look at it if I dont meet the conditions of acceptance (before they revoke the offer)? And I was also wondering if they give you a chance to take a summer school course to try to get your average above what you need.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^
I think if it's just 1% that you're missing and it's due to medical reasons, they probably will look at it and make an exception for you, but that's just my guess.
Call the university and find out!
And if you take a summer school course, I'd assume you would have to re-apply again for the next year, but once again, there are probably exceptions, so call the university to clarify, especially if it's for reasons such as medical emergencies.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote
^
I think if it's just 1% that you're missing and it's due to medical reasons, they probably will look at it and make an exception for you, but that's just my guess.
Call the university and find out!
And if you take a summer school course, I'd assume you would have to re-apply again for the next year, but once again, there are probably exceptions, so call the university to clarify, especially if it's for reasons such as medical emergencies.

Thanks for the reply. I like to be reassured by others while I wait for things to happen (Im not gonna bother calling until I get accepted), otherwise I start to psych myself out. I am hoping that the admissions office is full of reasonable human beings, but I cant imagine it being THAT hardcore to where they wouldnt allow you any slack.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx

@Doorhandle wrote
Im sort of concerned about this as well...Let's say I have to maintain an 83, but I end up with an 82. Obviously, I figure that under normal circumstances they would not hesitate to revoke my offer. But what if I called the school and asked them to look at some medical history that I have? If I get in by being above the cutoff, they will not look at any forms outlining any extenuating circumstances, but will they look at it if I dont meet the conditions of acceptance (before they revoke the offer)? And I was also wondering if they give you a chance to take a summer school course to try to get your average above what you need.

You have to actually have a medical history in order for that to work. And if you already have one, then you should probably give them that information anyways. They will give you a chance to go go to summer school depending on the school, but you have to call them about your situation first.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cosstickxx wrote

@Doorhandle wrote

You have to actually have a medical history in order for that to work. And if you already have one, then you should probably give them that information anyways. They will give you a chance to go go to summer school depending on the school, but you have to call them about your situation first.

Where were you getting the impression that I was going to just make something up and tell them I was sick?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^
Whoa, I don't think that's what she was implying.
She was just saying that you need an actual hard copy of your medical history.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JessaBrown JessaBrown
I think if you're VERY close to minimum requirements (like 1-2% off) then you shouldn't freak out. Just call the school. My sister was off by 2% for her program and she called and they told her that it was fine, as long as she kept her average. This might not be the same obviously...
And about summer school - universities will not accept any summer school marks the summer before move in. ;/ They process everything before that, so yeah.
Was this helpful? Yes 0